1878 – Adcote, Shropshire
The house was designed by Norman Shaw to a Tudor design and stands in 27 acres of landscaped gardens. Considered as perhaps the best example of the country houses built by Shaw between 1870 and 1880. Shaw designed Adcote in Tudor style and used the local building traditions to give the house a sense of continuity with the past, with local sandstone, tall chimneys, pointed gables and mullioned and transomed windows. Its features include a Great Hall with a Minstrels’ gallery, William De Morgan tiled fireplaces and stained glass windows by Morris & Co. Queen Mary was known to be a regular visitor. Adcote was converted to a boarding school in 1927. Now known as Adcote School, a private school for girls.