1963 – Ulster Brewery, Andersonstown, Belfast
Architect: Henry Lynch-Robinson
A brewery on this location opened in 1901 trading as Caffrey & Sons. In 1950, the Ulster Brewery purchased the site and in 1960, it was sold to Charington United Breweries, later becoming Bass Charington. The former Bass Brewery on Glen road ceased production in 2004, was demolished in 2009, and is now the location of a housing development. At closure, it brewed Bass ale and Tennent’s lager for the all-Ireland market and kegged Stella Artois. It was believed to be operating at 25-30 per cent of capacity. A large site, these facilities by Henry Lynch-Robinson were notable for their strong geometric lines and speed of construction.
Share!
Published March 20, 2026

