1956 – Design for County Buildings, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh
During the late 19th century and the first half of the 20th century, meetings of Fermanagh County Council were held at Enniskillen Courthouse. In the 1950s, it was decided that the courthouse was too cramped to accommodate both the county council and the judicial system and so an architectural competition was held. The assessor was R.S. Wilshere with Harry Gibberd of Birmingham the winner. The building opened in 1958.
The new building was designed in the Neo-Georgian style with a symmetrical main frontage of five bays with a central higher section of three bays. Described in The Builder after the competition result as “Among the points that receive particular consideration in the winning design are: An open approach to the building combining access and car parking facilities; ease of access generally; provision of light and air to all offices and other rooms; providing an easily workable building, containing well defined departments; and giving all the accommodation required in an economical plan capable of execution “ within a reasonable margin of the cost previously advised of £45,000.”
The clinic is placed at the rear of the main building, and is self-contained. The main building has a circular porch, lined in stone; the entrance hall is generous in size, and is enhanced by adjacent spaces of inquiry and motor tax offices. The remainder of the ground floor is taken up by the school meals and general records stores. The upper floors contain the principal administrative accommodation. The council chamber and committee suite are on the third floor. The chamber is approximately square, planned with a centre aisie approach, 30 members being accommodated in short rows of five seats each on either side of the centre aisle.
The structure would be framed in steel, or reinforced concrete, as proved more suitable, with precast concrete slab roof and floors. Outer walls would be cavity; inner skin in light-weight concrete blocks, outer of facing bricks on all sides, with a flush joint.”
Published February 27, 2025