1935 – Church of the Four Masters, Donegal, Co. Donegal
Architect: Ralph H. Byrne

Construction started in 1931 on this Irish-Romanesque church to designs by Ralph Henry Byrne (1877-1946) and it was built between 1931 and 1935. It was dedicated on St. Patrick’s Day in 1935 by the Most Rev. William MacNeely, Bishop of Raphoe. A celebrated if cumbersome design with many gables and a short oddly proportioned round tower as belfry. Its best feature is the Romanesque sandstone surround to the main entrance with its chevron motifs.
Share!
Cite This Article
APA Format:
Clerkin, Paul (2022, November 24). *1935 – Church of the Four Masters, Donegal, Co. Donegal*. Archiseek.com. https://www.archiseek.com/1935-church-of-the-four-masters-donegal-co-donegal/ (Updated 2025, January 29)
MLA Format:
Clerkin, Paul. "1935 – Church of the Four Masters, Donegal, Co. Donegal." *Archiseek.com*, 24 Nov. 2022, https://www.archiseek.com/1935-church-of-the-four-masters-donegal-co-donegal/. Updated 29 Jan. 2025.
Published November 24, 2022 | Last Updated January 29, 2025

