1916 – CPR Station, North Toronto, Toronto, Canada

Architect: Darling & Pearson

0048.jpg

The station, constructed in the Beaux Arts style, consisted of a 43-metre clock tower and a three-storey main terminal. The main terminal gallery had an 11metre ceiling with marble-clad walls and with elegant bronze suspended light fixtures. This station was the first building in the city to be constructed of Tyndall limestone from Manitoba. The tower is modelled after the Campanile di San Marco at Saint Mark’s Square in Venice. The four clock faces, each 8 feet in diameter, were illuminated at night during the station’s service life. Closed to passengers in 1930, and now a retail store.

Published March 17, 2026

More!