1913 – Fitzgerald Building, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg

Formerly the Chemistry and Physics Building, later Earth Sciences Building, and later still the School of Art. The building is named after one of Canada’s leading painters Lionel Lemoine Fitzgerald, who exhibited with the Group of Seven, and founded the Winnipeg School of Art. Slightly oddly proportioned facade with unusual central bay treatment.
“The chemistry building will be absolutely fireproof. Its entrance, which is its chief architectural feature, is a symmetrical combination of arches and columns, the effects being spare and the whole being surmounted a frontal at the top of the third storey.
The material used in this building and the styles of construction are similar to that of the dormitory and administration buildings. In the centre is an octagonal rotunda lighted by a skylight and from which all the rooms are easily accessible. The floor in the basement is of concrete and the remaining floors of terrazzo. Metal sashes are used and the roof is of Spanish tile. The partitions arc of hollow tile.”
Engineering and Contract Record, November 13 1912
Share!
Cite This Article
Published January 1, 2014 | Last Updated May 7, 2026

