1909 – Winnipeg Horse Show Amphitheatre, Winnipeg, Canada

Architect: Pratt & Ross

0643.jpg

0644.jpg

0645.jpg

Once the largest of its kind in North America. Built for horse shows but it was also used for skating as well as other public and private events. By 1914 it had been enlarged to have a seating capacity of about 6,000, with bench seating and private boxes. Closed in May 1955 and demolished.

“The building of the Winnipeg Horse Show Association, erected from designs by Architects Pratt & Ross at the corner of Osborne Place and CoIony St., is another structure which speaks volumes for the progress and enterprise of the citizens of Winnipeg. It provides an amphitheatre 133 by 320 ft., with a riding academy 62 ft. wide and 132 ft. deep, adjoining it on the east side. Entrance to the main portion of the building is through massive carved oak double doors, which open into a spacious foyer. Connecting with this are, waiting rooms, for both sexes, toilet facilities, coat-rooms and offices. The amphitheatre proper, contains an arena of 220 ft. long and 86 ft. wide, which is admirably lighted by a glass covered space occupying the entire central portion of the roof, and well placed windows in the side walls.


Surrounding the arena is a series of seventy-eight boxes, each providing accommodation for from six to ten persons. An excellent feature in the arrangement of the boxes is that they are elevated in such a manner that a perfect view of every part of the arena is obtainable, even though the promenade in front is crowded with spectators. On the second floor are a large and small reception room both suitable for dinner or other forms of entertainment, a committee room, ladies and gentlemen’s dressing room, lavatories and shower bath, and a modernly equipped kitchen. The third floor provides quarters for the janitor, and contains a sitting room, dining room, kitchen, two bed room^ and bathrooms. The ring of the riding academy is 130 feet long by 50 feet wide, with slightly sloping sides to prevent a horse from crushing a rider’s leg. A promenade gallery, 13 feet wide extends the entire length of the building, and a door, and there is an entrance from the school leading into the main arena. The building is heated by steam and lighted by both gas and electricity.
Construction, December 1909

Published March 20, 2026

More!