1901 – Passmore Edwards Library, Bow, London
Designed by S B Russell, who also designed the Plaistow Library and the West Ham Museum, the Bow library was constructed on a salt glazed brick base with redbrick elevations and Portland Stone dressings. Largely completed as illustrated, although some of the more decorative elements such as the plaque on the gable and cupola were never finished. Ceased to be used as a library in 1962, Passmore Edwards building was converted into a public hall, called Vernon Hall.
“This building is in the Roman-road, Bow, opposite the public baths, on a comer site measuring 72ft. Gin. by 35ft., and is intended to serve as a branch library in the Poplar borough . For the protection of the building a high salt-glazed brick base is provided, the materials above being Portland stone and red bricks. The construction throughout_ is fire-resisting. Messrs. Kingerley and Sons, of Oxford, have erected the- building, at a cost of about 11,000, from the designs and under the superintendence of Mr. S. B. Russell, architect, 11, Gray’s Inn-square, W.C.”
Share!
Published July 7, 2014 | Last Updated February 5, 2026

