1897 – Public Baths, Kingston on Thames, London
“The design by Messrs. Smith and Adams has been chosen. The problem consisted of one large swimming-bath, to be used alternately by both sexes, and capable of being used as a public hall, and, besides this, six first- class and ten second-class men’s slipper-baths were to be provided, with further accommodation for women’s slipper-baths. ….. “No. 4” comprises two designs, both of which are worked out very carefully with excellent drawings giving many details at large. We understand Messrs. Spalding and Cross are the authors. The large bath is roofed at a much lower section than most of the other plans, and the dressing-boxes with sliding fronts are located under a low roof, which Mr. Tiltman objects to, “as the condensation of any moisture in the bath under them would be found very disagreeable.” He takes exception to the want of separation between the bath and hall entrances. The gallery is at one end of the hall only. The laundry is in front, in the basement, and an internal area to get light much hampers the general arrangement, which seems too broken, though the crush hall is needlessly roomy and ample where space is 80 limited. The facades are handled with taste, but appear lacking in repose.”
The Building News, 31 January 1896
The Coronation Baths closed in 1979 and were replaced, on a different site, by today’s Kingfisher leisure pool.
Published July 23, 2009 | Last Updated February 1, 2026

