1895 – Masonic Temple, Donald Street, Winnipeg
Designed by local architect George Creeford Browne with construction starting in mid 1895, finished externally in the local stock yellow brick. Quite a large multipurpose building, the basement contained offices, library, banquet hall and kitchen, two large vaults, janitor’s residence, lavatory, and furnace room. On the next floor were meeting halls and small rooms for educational purposes. More meeting rooms were on the next floor with yet more rooms in the high-ceilinged attic.
In 1969, the Masons moved to a newly built facility at Corydon and Osborne. Since that the building has had a variety of uses but also sat empty for long periods. Local popular lore has it that the building is extremely haunted, but by what, and for what reason nobody seems to know.
Share!
Cite This Article
Published August 25, 2026


