1820s – St. Andrew’s Church, Muine Bheag (Bagenalstown), Co. Carlow
A simple t-plan church with galleried transepts from around 1820 with later additions including a spire in the early 1890s. Most assign credit for the earlier building to Thomas Cobden on stylistic grounds, and there was later work by William Hague including the sanctuary. The church was rededicated in 1893 after completion of the spire and internal renovations. Porches added in 1917. The entire ensemble is a little unusual from the rendered and castellated forecourt to the internal staircase reminiscent of something from a sailing ship. Much of the original marblework including the sanctuary railings, pulpit, and reredos still exist, just not in their original locations after a sanctuary rearrangment in 1977.
Lewis in his Topographical Dictionary (1837) tells us “In the R.C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district called Bagenalstown, comprising also part of the parishes of Agha, Fenagh, and Slyguff. The chapel, a handsome edifice lately erected at an expense of £2000, is situated at Bagenalstown; and there are chapels also at Newtown and Ballinkillen, and places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists and Walkerites.”
Share!
Published March 17, 2026

