1881 – St. Nicholas Church, Whitehaven, Cumbria

Architect: C.J. Ferguson

0015

St. Nicholas was constructed of red sandstone from five miles south of Whitehaven. This was a magnificent building which consisted of Nave, Chancel, Side Chapel, Clerestory, Tower and an Organ Chamber that housed one of the finest church organs in the country, and had a seating capacity of 600 but could accommodate up to 1000 when the need arose. It was consecrated on the 31st of August 1883. The ceremony was performed by the Rt Rev. Harvey Goodwin, Bishop of Carlisle. The building was a gift to the town by Miss Margaret Gibson, in memory of her parents, and stood as a magnificent addition to the town until it was destroyed by fire in 1971. Only the tower and the sanctuary remain. Published in The Building News, July 15 1881.

Cite This Article ▼ Click to expand

APA Format:
Clerkin, Paul (2009, September 6). *1881 – St. Nicholas Church, Whitehaven, Cumbria*. Archiseek.com. https://www.archiseek.com/1881-st-nicholas-church-whitehaven-cumbria/ (Updated 2025, July 18)
MLA Format:
Clerkin, Paul. "1881 – St. Nicholas Church, Whitehaven, Cumbria." *Archiseek.com*, 6 Sep. 2009, https://www.archiseek.com/1881-st-nicholas-church-whitehaven-cumbria/. Updated 18 Jul. 2025.

Published September 6, 2009 | Last Updated July 18, 2025

More!