1818 – Chapel, Female Orphanage, North Circular Road, Dublin
Architect: William Farrell

Kirwan House or The Female Orphan House was a female orphanage on Dublin’s North Circular Road, established in 1791. Destitute girls, where both parents were deceased, were placed in the home, and instructed in the Church of Ireland faith. They were also trained to be domestic servants. The chapel was designed and constructed as part of a wing containing offices to the existing late 18th century orphanage building. The interior plasterwork believed to be by George Stapleton. Closed in the 1950s and demolished to make way for a large and unremarkable office building.
Share!
Cite This Article
APA Format:
Clerkin, Paul (2015, January 12). *1818 – Chapel, Female Orphanage, North Circular Road, Dublin*. Archiseek.com. https://www.archiseek.com/1818-chapel-female-orphanage-north-circular-road-dublin/ (Updated 2024, October 22)
MLA Format:
Clerkin, Paul. "1818 – Chapel, Female Orphanage, North Circular Road, Dublin." *Archiseek.com*, 12 Jan. 2015, https://www.archiseek.com/1818-chapel-female-orphanage-north-circular-road-dublin/. Updated 22 Oct. 2024.
Published January 12, 2015 | Last Updated October 22, 2024
