1709 – Hôtel de Soubise, Paris, France

Architect: Pierre Alexis Delamair

hotel_de_soubise_lge

hotel_de_soubise_gates_lge

Now used as the National Archives, this was originally built as a home for Francois de Rohan, Prince of Soubise. The house has a massive forecourt surrounded by a double pillared colonnade. The facade of the building has a fine two storey corps-de-logis with sculptural decoration. The building was extended by Germain Boffrand between 1732-39, There is also a fine entrance gateway from Rue des Francs-Bourgeois.

Was used in the 1973 film “The Day of the Jackal” as a standin for the Élysée Palace.

Cite This Article ▼ Click to expand

APA Format:
Clerkin, Paul (2009, November 25). *1709 – Hôtel de Soubise, Paris, France*. Archiseek.com. https://www.archiseek.com/1709-hotel-de-soubise-paris/ (Updated 2026, January 11)
MLA Format:
Clerkin, Paul. "1709 – Hôtel de Soubise, Paris, France." *Archiseek.com*, 25 Nov. 2009, https://www.archiseek.com/1709-hotel-de-soubise-paris/. Updated 11 Jan. 2026.

Published November 25, 2009 | Last Updated January 11, 2026

More!