Limerick Transport

Re: Limerick Transport

Postby Tuborg » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:26 pm

foremanjoe wrote:Why is there so much Paddy-bashing on this website?
It seems to be the bottom-of-the-barrel argument most used when irresolvable differences in opinion occur in a debate.

"Only in Ireland..." and "On the Continent..." are used with such frequency in these fora that it makes one wonder where all these great minds are hiding when all the "typically Irish" design errors are being made in the first place!

Perhaps this new post-Oirish generation has only evolved along with the relatively recent access to the Interweb, or maybe that is the only medium in which they feel comfortable sniping from.

It is an utterly self-defeating argument and its profligate use on these pages is becoming a cause of increasing frustration and worry to me.

You can call it what you wish. I would see it as acknowledging our mistakes and learning from them so that we don't repeat them again in the future.

What do you propose we do, bury our heads in the sand and pretend everything is fine? Yeah that's a really useful attitude!!
Tuborg

Postby foremanjoe » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:48 pm

Tuborg wrote:You can call it what you wish. I would see it as acknowledging our mistakes and learning from them so that we don't repeat them again in the future.

What do you propose we do, bury our heads in the sand and pretend everything is fine? Yeah that's a really useful attitude!!

How have you possibly come to that conclusion from the previous point I made?

I was pointing out the unhelpful nature of the "typically Irish" comments, I never suggested that past mistakes should be forgotten, only that they shouldn't be umbrella'd in the category of "Irish".

If the progress and learning from mistakes that you speak of inherently involves the ridiculing of Ireland, past or present, then you can count me out.
foremanjoe

Postby Tuborg » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:52 pm

I'd consider it constructive criticism myself but if you want to term it "ridiculing", then thats your choice!
Tuborg

Postby foremanjoe » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:30 pm

You're just being obstinate now Tuborg, so I'll disregard the complete lack of reason from your last couple of posts.
foremanjoe

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:45 pm

I wouldn't call it lack of reason at all. He's got a perfectly good point about so many things being done shittily in this country. Just because a lot of other countries can be as fucked up as Ireland, doesn't mean we don't have the right to bitch and moan about those in charge of bad decision-making the same way citizens of every other country do about their own countries. It's constructive because it makes us strive towards the best rather than the worst.

And like it or not, when it comes to planning, architecture, and infrastructure Ireland is a country of extremes and in many things the absolute worst in Europe. If I said, for example, "only in Ireland is EVERY SINGLE town and village scarred by bad planning, inappropriate pvc windows, and lack of proper maintenance", I'd be absolutely right. Down in Cork they think they live in utopia and there's an excess of ugly new buildings, filth clinging to the old ones, and too much traffic. What does that say about the rest of the country?
rumpelstiltskin

Postby foremanjoe » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:38 pm

rumpelstiltskin wrote:If I said, for example, "only in Ireland is EVERY SINGLE town and village scarred by bad planning, inappropriate pvc windows, and lack of proper maintenance", I'd be absolutely right.

You'd actually be using hyperbole dude, which is a fine tool to use in a debate but its use usually renders the position of being "absolutely right" quite unattainable.

"only in Ireland" -Have you visited every other developed nation? Or researched the situation in EVERY other developed nation?

"EVERY SINGLE town and village scarred etc." -Really? Not one single settlement has avoided being scarred. Tragic.

And where did you drag the Cork argument out of? You're all over the place, compose yourself man!
We can't be antagonising those Rebels without just cause, Lord knows the chip that rests upon their collective shoulder is already overburdened!
foremanjoe

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:24 pm

foremanjoe wrote:You'd actually be using hyperbole dude, which is a fine tool to use in a debate but its use usually renders the position of being "absolutely right" quite unattainable.

"only in Ireland" -Have you visited every other developed nation? Or researched the situation in EVERY other developed nation?

"EVERY SINGLE town and village scarred etc." -Really? Not one single settlement has avoided being scarred. Tragic.

And where did you drag the Cork argument out of? You're all over the place, compose yourself man!
We can't be antagonising those Rebels without just cause, Lord knows the chip that rests upon their collective shoulder is already overburdened!

If every single town in Ireland is not scarred in this fashion, please give me a counterexample. I've been to all the ones that people talk about as being quaint and pretty - Kilkenny, Kinsale, Adare, Avoca, Cobh, and they're all full of broken glass, pvc windows, cracked paving stones, inappropriate developments etc. And the fact that dumps like Athenry are considered heritage towns is a national disgrace.

No I haven't visited every other developed nation in Europe. I have, however, visited places like Romania, Belarus, and Turkey. True, I haven't been to Albania, but if that's the level we want Ireland to operate at then that might be a problem in itself.

And I'm not an expert in infrastructure development and planning laws in other countries, but in both of these areas I have faith in the fact that Ireland is not among the top of the pile in terms of quality and efficiency.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby foremanjoe » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:46 pm

Yeah you're right, the country's a hole.

I'm moving to Belarus.

Good luck.
foremanjoe

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:05 pm

foremanjoe wrote:Yeah you're right, the country's a hole.

I'm moving to Belarus.

Good luck.

Oh good god! No logic, no logic. Maybe his barbed wit has dismantled me on a level I can't comprehend. You know what - I despise you. And I entered into this debate just because your tone is so irritating that it's a pleasure to disagree with you.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby foremanjoe » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:13 pm

The pleasure's all yours. ;)
foremanjoe

Postby foremanjoe » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:37 am

Anyway, getting back to the issue at hand, Tuborg.

I get where you're coming from on the issue of sustainable planning and infrastructure, there is a general lack of foresight and sense by local and national government alike that has been prevalent for generations. Apart from the early years of the state and the time of Seán Lemass this country has failed to grapple with its own independence, shying away from any sort of pioneering developments. We ripped ourselves from the teat of Great Britain and, aside from the early couple of decades, have spent the time since clawing to suckle on Europe's ample bosom.

Our argument about the Barefield and Crusheen interchanges is petty (I'm willing to admit it's petty if you are Tuborg ;)), especially in the light of the bigger problems with the M18. While that road is politically marketed as being some kind of Atlantic Corridor linking the cities of Galway and Limerick it is essentially no more than a combination of near-sighted attempts to relieve traffic problems in the various black spots along the route. First was Bunratty, then Newmarket, then Ennis, now Gort. But what's the plan for after Gort? Is there a finite plan developed for the final length of the road between Gort and Galway?

Perhaps we should pick our battles in future and let the pennies look after themselves, because it seems to be the pounds that are in serious jeopardy!
foremanjoe

Postby CologneMike » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:36 am

Line closes after mud slide in Ennis

PAT FLYNN

Mon, Aug 24, 2009

THE RAIL line between Ennis and Limerick city was closed for more than six hours yesterday after debris was washed on to the tracks following torrential downpours in the area.

There were just eight people on board the 12.30pm Limerick to Ennis service when the two-carriage train encountered a mud slide as it was passing through the townland of Ayleacotty between Newmarket on Fergus and Quin at around 12.50pm.

The train had just come over a hill and was descending on the other side when the driver observed that a small part of the bank had collapsed on to the track.

He contacted Iarnród Éireann’s control centre and checked the train for any damage. After speaking to controllers, he was allowed continue to Ennis station. The rail line was closed and all services suspended pending completion of a track inspection.

Engineers established that no damage had been caused to the line. The line was expected to reopen at 8pm last night.

A spokesperson for Iarnród Éireann said: “The train was not hit by the mud slide which was very small. There had been a lot of heavy rain in the area as a result of which part of a steep bank slid on to the line. The driver brought the train to a safe stop and alerted control.”

© 2009 The Irish Times

Iarnród Éireann still dogged by problems after upgrading the Ennis to Limerick line.:(

See also last years report where a “Turlough Lake” appeared and flooded the rail line.

Posts 1 2

Although the Shannon Rail Link is not included in Transport 21 (Costs reasons) I found an interesting image from my kids’ school atlas showing its planned route through Shannon.

See PDF Shannon Rail Link Feasibility Study

Alas uploading images as attachments is still failing!
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby foremanjoe » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:43 pm

Wow. That feasibility study is a bit of a hammerblow to the rail link isn't it?

I'm particulary fond of the health & safety assertion that "There is an increased risk of injury or death when travelling compared to not."

It's also a terrible pity that their financial forecasts are based on 2006 prices.

The fact that only 2 out of 10 options made it past the longlist phase bothers me slightly, especially when 1 of the options chosen for further analysis was the one to not build the rail link at all and just improve the bus services!

There is one very brief mention, in the entire report, of the increased trend in short-stay independent visitors to this country. It is my belief that this rail link is the type of transport needed to market this region to such short-stay tourists. Nobody wants to go on a weekend break and have to hire a car, or worry about buses. Imagine if Limerick and Galway could market themselves for city breaks: 30minute/60minute rail trip from an international airport directly to the city centre. It is a lost opportunity on this front in my opinion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's also an article in the Clare Champion this week about the delayed opening of the ennis-galway line.

Apparently most of the construction equipment has moved off the line, suggesting that it is finished, but it is not due to open until December.

Iarnróid Éireann did not clarify the situation but it would appear that they do not have sufficient trains/staff to operate the route yet.
foremanjoe

Postby jimg » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:04 pm

foremanjoe wrote:Nobody wants to go on a weekend break and have to hire a car, or worry about buses. Imagine if Limerick and Galway could market themselves for city breaks: 30minute/60minute rail trip from an international airport directly to the city centre. It is a lost opportunity on this front in my opinion.

This is the sort of fantasy that gives rail proponents (and I consider myself one) a bad name. Do you use public transport at all? How many regional towns of the size of Limerick or Galway have you been to where there was a frequent rail service between the Airport and the town centre? You are confusing Limerick and Galway with cities ten times or more their size.

"worry about buses"? Do you think a passenger would rather wait 2 hours for a train (unless you think it would be a good idea to have a fleet of trains and drivers dedicated to this service) or 15 minutes for a bus - particularly given that there will soon be practically motorway standard roads connecting Limerick, Shannon and Galway meaning an express bus is likely to be faster.

Do you have any idea how much it costs to run a frequent rail service? We are not just talking about drivers but station staff, line inspectors, train depot/maintanance facilities and staff, finance cost for building and maintaining the line and the rolling stock, etc. These costs can only be justified if with suitable passenger loadings. It would be cheaper to offer a 5 euro helicoptor service from the airport to Limerick and Galway. In the real world, there is a thing called money. In the fantasy world, we have railway lines running through unpopulated bogs and motorways to Achill Island and "International" airports in every western county.

It would be the ultimate of paddywackery to have a rail-link to Shannon and none to Dublin.
jimg

Postby CologneMike » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:27 pm

jimg wrote:It would be the ultimate of paddywackery to have a rail-link to Shannon and none to Dublin.

Ahhhhh Jim, a direct Shannon Rail Link would be nice to have . . . . . sure it would be worth every penny to see our Dublin folk foaming from their mouths before they get one! :D

Hmmmmm, how about an alternative hybrid 'rail bus' with 200 seats leaving the Limerick-Ennis line between Sixmilebridge & Newmarket-on-Fergus, then darting down the N19 road to Shannon and back again.

This would make travelling more fun and it would solve Iarnród Éireann’s problems when the line gets blocked through flooding, mud slides, collapsing bridges etc, etc by bypassing it! :rolleyes:

Hybrid 'rail bus' proposal for Limerick Junction service

TIM O'BRIEN

Mon, Jun 15, 2009

IRISH RAIL is considering replacing the Waterford to Limerick Junction services with a “rail bus” – a hybrid vehicle which can run on road and rail.

The vehicle, which has double sets of wheels, is one of a number of cost-cutting options on the route which has passenger traffic of only 54,000 people a year.

The rail bus, similar to an ordinary mini bus, is able to drive on either railways or roads and Irish Rail believes its capacity of about 20 seats would meet demand.

Rail bus operations around the world traditionally allow high-cost signalling to be removed from the line, and a rail-mounted vehicle with the operational characteristics of a bus can then run instead. The rail bus offers significant fuel savings.

The Irish Times understands Irish Rail is studying reports on the introduction of such vehicles on little-used routes in Japan

It is also understood that the company is looking at a second tram-like rail carriage which is employed on some low-usage lines in the UK.

The Waterford to Limerick route suffered a near catastrophic setback in 2003 when a cement train derailed on the Cahir viaduct. Twelve wagons fell through the bridge into the River Suir.

The route was reopened after a €3 million repair, after which services between Limerick and Waterford were increased to four per day in each direction. Passenger numbers remained minuscule.

A source said: “The future of the line has been the focus of speculation in years past. But the current cost-reduction programme is very much on achieving savings while maintaining services, and the company is examining some innovative bus-rail type operations suitable for this route.”

Irish Rail estimates a rail bus system on the route could cut costs by 50 per cent.

© 2009 The Irish Times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:31 pm

It seems Iarnrod Eireann are getting cold feet about the Western Rail Corridor. To be honest, I can't say Im really surprised, considering the re-opening of the Ennis - Athenry section was a politically motivated decision that I don't believe Irish Rail were ever truly supportive of.

Im not defending IE as I believe they are a pathetic excuse for a service provider but if you take a look at the WRC objectively, the numbers just don't add up.

The critical mass just simply dosent exist for the project to be viable. Limerick and Galway are small cities and I just can't see where the passenger numbers to justify to re-opening of the line are going to come from.

Secondly, services are going to operate on a 19th Century allignment that is riddled with level crossings and dodgy curves that are seriously going to limit speed. It's estimated that the journey from Limerick to Galway will take around 1 hr 50 mins. To make matters worse, trains wont even be going directly to Galway station. The journey will involve a detour to Athenry where a switch-back system will be in operation, this involves the driver having to walk to the other end of the train to continue on to Galway. You just could'nt make this up!:o

The Crusheen to Gort section of the M18 is expected to open next Summer. This along with the completion of the last stretch of the M18 route in a couple more years will mean a journey time of around an hour between Limerick and Galway. The reality is that the car/bus is going to absolutely hammer the train!

I fear the WRC is going to incur serious losses and ultimately be a massive flop!
Tuborg

Postby foremanjoe » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:37 pm

jimg wrote:How many regional towns of the size of Limerick or Galway have you been to where there was a frequent rail service between the Airport and the town centre?

How many regional cities have airports of the standard of Shannon as close to them as Galway and Limerick have?

Is Dublin airport not getting a metro? And if you want to start an "If they have it why can't we?" argument, then I'd say if Farranfore can have a rail link, why can't Shannon?

It's not fantasizing, it's thinking BIG! (Where's the jazz hands smiley on this thing?)
foremanjoe

Postby jimg » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:41 pm

foremanjoe wrote:It's not fantasizing, it's thinking BIG! (Where's the jazz hands smiley on this thing?)

It's not thinking BIG, it's not thinking at all.

Borrowing vast amounts of money to provide a service which (by the standards of rail in most other European countries) will barely be used is STUPID not BIG. Same as blowing your wages in the pub buying rounds for everyone when your kids are going hungry. Unless you're the type who thinks the government can just create money out of thin air.

A small fleet of 20 seater modern minibuses arriving and leaving every 20 or 30 minutes bringing people to the centres of Limerick and Galway for 10 euro return would provide far more utility and cost little or nothing to implement or subsidise. There's a place for rail and this isn't it.
jimg

Postby foremanjoe » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:52 pm

You're just a whole bundle of negativity man.

The government can work all sorts of magic when it comes to fiscal matters, for their next trick they're going to make all of our hard earned wages disappear, they're calling it NAMA.

And it wouldn't be the same as blowing your wages in the pub while your kids starve at home, it would be like bringing your kids to the pub and buying them rounds of drink, which is slightly better.
foremanjoe

Postby CologneMike » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:12 pm

Cash shortage halts M20 between Limerick and Cork (Limerick Leader)

A PROPOSED multi-million euro motorway between Limerick and Cork has been postponed because of a shortage of money, the National Roads Authority (NRA) has confirmed.

The M20 motorway project was initially due to be part of a new tranche of public private partnership projects announced in June but a spokesperson for the NRA confirmed to the Limerick Leader that construction of the road will not now proceed in the foreseeable future.

The authority has seen its funding for new projects significantly reduced as a result of current economic difficulties and say though the road is a PPP project, significant state funding would still be required to proceed with the land procurement and an Environmental Impact Statement.

Sean O'Neill, head of communications at the NRA said that the M20 had been "reprioritised" due to lower traffic volumes compared to other schemes also awaiting funding. "The reprioritising of these PPP projects will affect the scheduling of the M20 but not ultimately the construction of it," he said.

The NRA's decision not to proceed with the project at this time will inevitably delay its construction by several years, especially in light of current economic constraints.

The existing N20, which the M20 would replace, is of particularly poor quality between Mallow and Croom and has seen several fatal accidents along this narrow, twisty section in recent years.

Limerick West TD Niall Collins said that the postponement of the scheme was not bad news however, given the level of uncertainty about the proposed road in South County Limerick. "In Croom, Kilmallock and Bruree there were serious concerns about access to the new road and the affect this would have on local businesses. People were very concerned that this road would have a negative impact on south County Limerick," said the Fianna Fáil TD.

As a result of the review of PPP contracts the NRA can give no timeframe on when the M20 scheme might be resurrected stating that the "N20 Limerick to Cork schemes will be deferred to a later date".

Not bad news for the undertakers in the Croom / Mallow area either. :rolleyes: I don’t think TD Niall Collins can't complain much if the Limerick County Councilors were so content by taking a back seat here as to what the Cork County Council (lead authority for the M20) proposed for the positioning of the junctions north of the Ballyhoura Mountains.

CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:35 pm

CologneMike wrote:
Cash shortage halts M20 between Limerick and Cork

Not bad news for the undertakers in the Croom / Mallow area either. :rolleyes: I don’t think TD Niall Collins can't complain much if the Limerick County Councilors were so content by taking a back seat here as to what the Cork County Council (lead authority for the M20) proposed for the positioning of the junctions north of the Ballyhoura Mountains.

Confirmation of what many have long suspected. The M20 was mysteriously dropped from the latest PPP documentation back in June, suggesting that something sinister was going on!

This is an extremely short-sighted decision. One that is going to be a source of huge frustration to the long suffering motorists who have to endure this glorified cart track which masquerades as the main road between the countrys 2nd and 3rd cities!

The section between Buttevant and Twopothouse in particular must surely be the single worst section of National Primary road in the country. Indeed, just today as I was travelling from Cork to Limerick, I noticed that yet another car had gone off the road at Ballybeg. This stretch is an absolute deathtrap!:mad:

It's hard to know where to start with Niall Collins' comments. What a laughable attempt to downplay the enormous impact of this decision. He's obviously got no problem talking total bullshit in order to try and take some of the heat off him and his incompetent buddies in Fianna Fail.

People in South Limerick were concerned about access to the proposed motorway but that is no longer the case as an interchange for the area is included in the plans. Similarly at Croom, a new motorway interchange and associated link roads were to be built north of the village.

Hopefully people will realise that his comments are merely an attempt to distract them from the real issues behind this farcical situation!!
Tuborg

Postby CologneMike » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:47 pm

CologneMike wrote:
Although the Shannon Rail Link is not included in Transport 21 (Costs reasons) I found an interesting image from my kids’ school atlas showing its planned route through Shannon.

See PDF Shannon Rail Link Feasibility Study

Geplanter Eisenbahnanschluss ~ Planned Railway Connection

I think somebody should inform the German Department of Education that it needs to revise their school books! ;)

CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:16 pm

€2m orbital route 'to cut traffic and unlock the city's potential' (Limerick Leader)

By David Hurley

MAYOR Kevin Kiely has welcomed the formal signing of multi-million euro contracts that will see the completion of two key infrastructure projects that it is hoped will help unlock the potential of the city centre.

The contracts for phase one of the city's orbital route and for the construction of a bus lane on Mulgrave Street were signed after construction company Murphy International successfully won separate tenders from the local authority.

The combine value of the contracts is just over €2m.

Phase one of the orbital route will see the construction of a new link road between the Cathedral Place junction on Mulgrave Street and the front of CBS, Sexton Street. The works will also include the rebuilding of Sexton Street and the provision of enhanced footpaths and improved pedestrian crossings.

The orbital route around the city centre will create a mainly one-way clockwise traffic system that will be divided into three sections: Northern, Central and Southern.

The project aims to provide a high capacity street network allowing for the safe and efficient movement of traffic, creating high priority areas for pedestrians within the core city centre.

"It is significant for the future development and pedestrianisation of the city centre. The completion of this orbital route will enable us to reduce traffic volumes on O'Connell Street and will allow us to link that in with other streets which have been pedestrianised well such as Bedford Row and Thomas Street," said Vincent Murray of Limerick City Council

The orbital route, part of a plan that includes the remodelling and pedestrianisation of Limerick's centre, was launched to much fanfare in 2007.

The other key project, which will get underway shortly, is the construction of a new inbound bus lane from the O'Grady Monument on Mulgrave Street to the Cathedral Place junction.

Limerick City Council is hoping that this will facilitate improved and higher frequency bus services between the city centre and the suburbs, allowing for larger volumes of people to be moved more efficiently.

Mayor Kiely, who attended the formal signing of the contracts, has welcomed confirmation that the long awaited projects are set to proceed.

"I am delighted that the contracts have been signed, especially as it is one of the few areas where we are actually spending money this year. I am glad to see the orbital route progressing, and, hopefully, funding will be made available for the rest of the orbital route in the near future," he said.

CologneMike
Old Master

Postby PoxyShamrock » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:23 pm

Was on the 308 the other day and heard a bus driver say that these might be coming to Limerick in the next year or so for the University and Raheen routes.

Anyone know anything?

Seems unlikely with BÉ's cost cutting plans. :confused:

PoxyShamrock

Postby mitchell » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:19 pm

Well they brought it to cork only a few months ago and on a busy route like UL and raheen it might be to their benefit, despite cost cuttings
mitchell

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland