Thinking Big

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Thinking Big

Postby garethace » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:06 pm

Talking about doing things on a large scale, the Greenpeace publication on solar energy is definitely worth a download and a good look.

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/press/reports/concentrating-solar-power-2009

The photos gives you some idea of the scale of what is involved. From the report:

The South African government has set a target of 10,000GWh of energy to be produced from renewable energy sources (mainly from biomass, wind, solar and small-scale hydro) by 2013. This would be equivalent to electrifying approximately 2 million households having an annual electricity consumption of 5 000 kWh. That is about 5% of the present electricity generation in South Africa, or replacing two 660MW units of Eskom's combined coal-fired power stations.

There is only about 1.8 million households in Ireland at present. So 5% of South Africa's electricity consumption could serve Ireland quite nicely. So the scale of the renewable energy roll out in larger countries must be very audacious indeed. The mind boggles doesn't it?

Brian O' Hanlon
garethace

Re: Thinking Big

Postby garethace » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:14 am

Ireland's energy consumption per person per day is over 100kwh/day with a population density of under 100 persons per sq kilometer. Our energy consumption is not very different from the UK, but their population density is a good bit higher than ours is.

http://withouthotair.blogspot.com/2009/08/new-graph-showing-countries-power-per.html

I reckon the dwelling energy consumption per person in Ireland is less than one third of their complete energy consumption total per day. So obviously, our workplaces, our supermarkets and our transportation systems, logistics and food supplies etc play an important part in the bigger picture.

I suppose we are talking close to 40 tonnes of CO2 emissions per person in Ireland. There is no way we are going to get that down, unless employers do come up with strategies fast. I would infer therefore, that the state has a huge burden of initiative to take, it being probably the largest employer and the one who should create example for everyone.

I puts the minister Eamon Ryan's cycling campaign for TD's and civil servants into perspective doesn't it?

Brian O' Hanlon
garethace

Re: Thinking Big

Postby garethace » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:16 pm

I calculate that servicing a boiler properly can save well over a months supply of fuel per dwelling per year. Without any other energy upgrades at all.

I estimate it can improve a person’s energy consumption per year by around 10%. Lowering their carbon emissions by a couple of tonne.

This is low hanging fruit.

That is why Bord Gais are paying people to service their boilers because it means that Bord Gais have to source a lot less product for the entire system. It works for them too.

Brian O' Hanlon
garethace

Return to World Architecture