CIE's €100 million Tara Street Station construction

Re: CIE's €100 million Tara Street Station construction

Postby missarchi » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:11 pm

I think that is where the north wall was supposed to come in... a cluster...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby Yixian » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:12 pm

I happen to think the sight of skyscrapers seen in the distance behind classical areas look very nice.

It is a real shame that there was so much resistance to high rises before the recession, and now it appears to be too late. When any old city in Canada has a raft of vast scrapers and Dublin has next to none, it makes the city look inherently less like the economic hub it is becoming.

Someone please reassure me that Dublin will catch up :(
Yixian

Postby AMDM » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:08 am

There is a plan on DCC's website for this whole area- Georges Quay Plan- Go to Planning the Framework Development Plans- Its a DRAFT at the minute
AMDM

Postby lostexpectation » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:18 pm

Yixian wrote:I happen to think the sight of skyscrapers seen in the distance behind classical areas look very nice.

It is a real shame that there was so much resistance to high rises before the recession, and now it appears to be too late. When any old city in Canada has a raft of vast scrapers and Dublin has next to none, it makes the city look inherently less like the economic hub it is becoming.

Someone please reassure me that Dublin will catch up :(

there wasn't resistence to highrise in the right place eg the docks
lostexpectation

Postby Yixian » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:24 pm

lostexpectation wrote:there wasn't resistence to highrise in the right place eg the docks

Good point, I guess the recession hit just a little too early.
Yixian

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:09 am

lostexpectation wrote:there wasn't resistence to highrise in the right place eg the docks

What about the hotel behind the National Convention Centre?
rumpelstiltskin

Postby alonso » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:29 am

and George's Quay and Spencer Dock. There was huge resistance to high rise development in the Docks from residents, georgian types and even that slimy runt we used to call taoiseach who described the original Spencer Dock proposal as a "monstrosity". He may have been right enough on that one but what replaced it is even more offensive.....
alonso

Postby AMDM » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:46 am

Can you check this out please, guidance plans for the whole Tara St/Georges Quay area:

http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/OtherDevelopmentPlans/FrameworkDevelopmentPlans/Documents/DraftGeorgesQuayPlan.pdf
AMDM

Postby Yixian » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:51 am

AMDM wrote:Can you check this out please, guidance plans for the whole Tara St/Georges Quay area:

http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/OtherDevelopmentPlans/FrameworkDevelopmentPlans/Documents/DraftGeorgesQuayPlan.pdf

Other than the Tara St Station high-rise, what has been specifically proposed as part of this redevelopment?
Yixian

Postby AMDM » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:14 am

Just from a quick flick through it- 2 mid ranging buildings both sides of the church and school near Moss Street and stepping down to the Liffey and also a wayfinder building at the Screen cinema site with permeable access through the Hawkins House site through to Tara Street Station
AMDM

Postby OisinT » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:45 am

hm not bad.. I could see that being a real asset to the area which really needs something done!
OisinT

Postby thebig C » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:04 pm

Waaaay off the mark! Every high-rise proposal for the docks was fought tooth and nail. I note others have mentioned examples that were refused, I will add that the DDDA itself laid down a maximum height of 6 stories for IFSC phase 2!

Also, its not a case of the recession comming too soon to allow for high-rise. We had a boom for the best part of 12 years. Look at all the low-rise dross built in the Docks.....thats because nothing else could get planning. Even permitted examples such as The Watchtower, Alto Vetro and U2 had to undergo torturous planning processes which would not happen in any other country.

Face it, there is a major and organised anti high-rise lobby in Dublin! An Taisce have turned from a heritage organisation into an organisation who oppose every (literally) development, particularly high-rise.

Ask yourself this.....if The Elysian in Cork, or the Clarion and Riverpoint of Limerick had been proposed for Dublin, would they have ever been built?? Of course not! There would have been hundreds of organised objections and dozens of letters of condemnation in the Times. A sympathetic ABP....would then give the thumbs down!

C
thebig C

Postby lostexpectation » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:51 pm

but thats not why the weren't built, it was the developers fault
lostexpectation

Postby D-A-V-E » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:46 pm

Contraband wrote:-Sorry if this has been posted before-

This scheme has finally gone before An Bord Pleanála today

Fair enough, nothing ground breaking but pleasing to look at nonetheless. Now is the time to build afterall.

that first image looks very like the riverpoint building in Limerick city

D-A-V-E

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:34 pm

It's a bit more aesthetically pleasing than Riverpoint. It's not as stumpy. Let's hope it's not as drab. Riverpoint is an abject failure on every conceivable front.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby missarchi » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:38 pm

missarchi
Old Master

Postby archipig » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:55 pm

I like.

The oval solid would be great if it was made of glass.
archipig

Postby missarchi » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:52 pm

Here is an more elegant version on the limerick one I still cannot tell if the fins are glass or mullions
Attachments
635.jpg
635.jpg (78.08 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
missarchi
Old Master

Postby Yixian » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:12 am

Anyone know what has become of this? I seem to remember ABP didn't like the height but haven't heard anything since and Tara St Station simply has to be redeveloped..
Yixian

Postby Yixian » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:01 pm

Trying to figure out what's going on with this:

Iarnród Éireann has until November 27th to submit new designs to the board. A spokesman for the company yesterday said it had only just received the letter and was examining it.

However during An Bord Pleanála’s public hearing on the development last July, Iarnród Éireann said the loss of any floors from the office tower would significantly reduce its commercial viability.

I suppose the new high rise policy doesn't make any change to the heights allowed in Customs House Quay?

Either way it seems like CIE are simply contesting the rejection rather than submitting a new proposal. Perhaps we will have to wait until "February 1st" next year to find out?
Yixian

Postby dave123 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:05 pm

There is nothing wrong with this proprosal. Infact the Ulter bank has more of a impact than Tara street high rise by a long shot. This building is sleek and blends into the Custom house quay well.

To be honest the Costum house in is an ugly building.or at least far overly rated.

irish planning never seems to amaze me.
dave123

Postby Yixian » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:20 pm

The Customs House is a beautiful building but I don't see how this detracts from it.

Still, I can't tell if this proposal is dead in the water yet or not. CIE say they won't scale it down.
Yixian

Postby dave123 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:11 pm

Yixian wrote:The Customs House is a beautiful building but I don't see how this detracts from it.

Still, I can't tell if this proposal is dead in the water yet or not. CIE say they won't scale it down.

it doesnt detract from it, that's the thing.. The high rise is on the other side of the loop line facing Tara street and Matt Talbot bridge.
dave123

Postby aj » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:45 am

dave123 wrote:There is nothing wrong with this proprosal. Infact the Ulter bank has more of a impact than Tara street high rise by a long shot. This building is sleek and blends into the Custom house quay well.

To be honest the Costum house in is an ugly building.or at least far overly rated.

irish planning never seems to amaze me.

:mad: you might elabourate on the issues with gandons ugly overated work??? I am very confused
aj

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:19 pm

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland