well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Postby Tuborg » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:50 pm

Griff wrote:It has to be due to planning restrictions - it looks totally unnatural !.. seemingly the ground has never been full since its redevelopment - so that empty spaces will in future be 3 wedges behind the floodlights - the 4th at the city end of the Mackey stand seems ok.
There is a bit of previous for this layout though - Pairc ui Rinn - the first GAA stadium to have floodlights I believe ( naturally - sure its in Cork like) - although the impact is a lot less as the stadium is smaller and the terraces have square ends.

Well it was full for last years Munster Final and it should be full again for the International Rules in October. There's going to be quite a few spectators with restricted views of that game!:rolleyes:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to Pairc ui Rinn, its only really used as a secondary venue to Pairc ui Chaoimh. I noticed at the weekend that the new lights in Thurles have been installed behind the terracing so as not to obstruct views of the pitch, just as you would expect.

It just makes this decision all the more annoying. It must be some kind of concession to the residents on that side of the ground. Maybe they felt that locating the masts within the stadium would help allay the concerns of locals. Despite the fact that light spillage from modern floods is pretty low.

I think I might fire off an e-mail to Limerick GAA to try and get the definitive reason for this unfortunate decision.

Below: Proposed locations of floodlighting masts.

Tuborg

Postby dave123 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:11 pm

The limerick stadium should be the main stadium of munster since its bigger and more central in Munster. it would fill for a munster final or semi final, Cant see what the problem is,
dave123

Postby vkid » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:01 pm

Politics? I doubt the rebels in the peoples republic would be happy for a start. They weren't exactly impressed with the decision to redevelop Thomond Park but they'd go looney over that suggestion altogether
:D
vkid

Postby Tuborg » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:11 am

vkid wrote:Politics? I doubt the rebels in the peoples republic would be happy for a start. They weren't exactly impressed with the decision to redevelop Thomond Park but they'd go looney over that suggestion altogether

Pairc ui Chaoimh in its current decrepit state, shouldn't be allowed to host a major game again after the fiasco at the Cork v Tipp game last year.

I've always felt that the GAA should prioritise 1 stadium in each province for investment to bring it up to an accepatable standard. In Munster, Pairc na nGael is the most modern and therefore would require less investment than the others. A new main stand and potentially a roof over the open stand would transform it into a very tidy ground. Its also got geography on its side.

However the GAA is far too parochial to make common sense decisions. Semple Stadium in Thurles has the "tradition" which is so highly valued by the association, so it will always be considered the No.2 stadium behind Croke Park and thus the undisputed No.1 in Munster.
Tuborg

Postby D-A-V-E » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:38 pm

theres at least one tower crane down by the gaelic grounds as i speak, obviously the erection of the floodlights in underway!
D-A-V-E

Postby dave123 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:42 am

So back onto developments,

Has the city council invested on a development plan for Caherdavin now that Caherdavin is within the boundary. The city boundary has been extended just incase no one knows... ... It seems like the city council aren't doing anything with it. There is land available to allow for population to increase rather than decreaase...

Any developments on putting Castletroy and Ul into the city.. yet..
If they could do this they can still fight over Raheen for another few years. But this is just getting redicoulous at this rate.:mad:
dave123

Postby dave123 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:44 am

vkid wrote:Politics? I doubt the rebels in the peoples republic would be happy for a start. They weren't exactly impressed with the decision to redevelop Thomond Park but they'd go looney over that suggestion altogether

Fup em.. Limerick is the sports capital of Ireland, since Limerick is better located and more central in Munster and closer to Connacht, I dont see why Not... Once the ring road is completed, the stadium will be very easily accessilbe. The cork stadium can be a nightmare at times in getting to and from it and not to mention parking..
dave123

Postby dave123 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:42 pm

Written by John O'Shaughnessy
Thursday, 18 June 2009 08:04
LIMERICK POST

THE second hand property market is showing definite signs of recovery...but new house sales remain static.

There has also been a marked improvement in the commercial sector, with several important shop sales recorded in the city inside the last month.

That is the word from a prominent local auctioneer who has detected a sharp, if unexpected rise, in the sale of second-hand houses.

And he is hopeful that the upturn will continue, and that Ireland is coming out of the recession.

He pointed to world oil markets. "Much to the annoyance of motorists, petrol prices have risen steeply in recent weeks, but the upside to that is that it signals a world-wide demand for oil again. The wheels are moving in the United States and that is good news".

Though the property market had taken a nosedive over the last 12 months, there were, added the auctioneer, no bargains to be found in city estates.

"Estates such as Caherdavin, Dooradoyle, Raheen, Corbally and Castletroy have held their values, with prices much the same as they were before the recession hit. The reason is that they are all close to the city with amenities on their doorsteps".

However, it is a different story on the outskirts with big price drops in areas like Clonlara, Crecora, Patrickswell, Meelick, etc.

A spokesperson for one of Limerick's biggest developers told the Limerick Post that while there was noticeable movement in the market place generally, it had yet to happen in new house sales.

"There is a lot of stock around just now with some builders having in excess of 20 already built units just sitting there. That is a lot of money to have tied up.

"Consequently, there is precious little in the way of new builds, with some sites having closed down.

"While second-hand houses might be in demand, the situation there is that people are trading-up and are not too heavily committed loan wise.

"Buying new is different, though, and the lending institutions have more or less shut shop when it comes to giving out substantial loans. Investors are also thin on the ground".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[align=center]This is good news for the city[/align]
dave123

Postby niall murphy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:21 pm

while it is great news the Gaelic Grounds are having floodlights installed it makes no sense to install them at the front of the spectators. The great thing about the newly developed parts of the GG is that there are great sightlines from everywhere. A redeveloped Mackey Stand with a single line of corporate boxes at the top and a low cantilevered roof for the rest of the ground would have made this the best stadium in Munster by a long way and surely the second best GAA stadium.

The engineers have made a bad mistake on this and surely should have provided a better solution. They could have taken a look at what was done at the Hill 16 end of Croke Park where a collapsable floodlight mast was installed. This would have surely delighted the residents while it may have been taller when in use it would not be visible the majority of the time as it could be taken down. Take a look at this photo

http://www.abacuslighting.com/img/pr00001.jpg
niall murphy

Postby Tuborg » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:55 pm

De-mountable floodlighting masts would have been an excellent option for the uncovered stand side, although it would be asking far too much for Limerick GAA to come up with such an innovative solution!:rolleyes: The corners of both terrace's offer some of the best views of the pitch, now they are going to be obscured by these large poles, it's an absolutely terrible decision.

I would love to know if the opposition from local residents really did have an impact on the positioning of the mast's. If it did, then I think questions need to be asked of Limerick City Council! I had a look back over the recent planning history of the Gaelic Grounds and its pretty obvious that the local GAA have found it strangely difficult to get planning permission for a variety of applications.

We already know that the initial floodlighting application was shot down last year. Oddly, there were also issues with the re-location of an electronic scoreboard from one end of the ground to the other!:confused: Back in 2002 when the re-development of the GGs was finally given the green light, a key condition stated that non-sporting events would not be permitted at the venue!

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but it seems that while LCC have bent over backwards to facilitate Munster Rugby and Thomond Park, they have been extremely un-accomodating towards Limerick GAA and the Gaelic Grounds. Perhaps its got something to do with the revenue Munster Rugby brings to the city.;)
Tuborg

Postby D-A-V-E » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:56 am

whats the story with the proposed cinema over in ballysimon? has that started to be built yet?
D-A-V-E

Postby PoxyShamrock » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:29 pm

D-A-V-E wrote:whats the story with the proposed cinema over in ballysimon? has that started to be built yet?

Cinema in Ballysimon?
That's the first I've heard about one.
Whereabouts D-A-V-E?
PoxyShamrock

Postby Tuborg » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:08 pm

D-A-V-E wrote:whats the story with the proposed cinema over in ballysimon? has that started to be built yet?

It's been appealed to An Bord Pleanala.

Previous Post
Tuborg

Postby D-A-V-E » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:23 pm

ya it was mentioned in the post and the forums a while ago, somewhere on the ballysimon road..one of those retail parks like delta or city east retail or eastway..i think it was to have a 10 screen cinema with a restaurant and some arcades or something like that..the blueprints were floating around awhile ago, cant remember when the place is to be build, i heard it was to start straight away..kind of a stupid location in my openion. castletroy and raheen have cinemas, northside and town should be the next place
D-A-V-E

Postby D-A-V-E » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:02 am

i was driving away from william st coming onto mulgrave st and i noticed on my right that there is loads of builders in there clearing a huge site. whats going in there?
D-A-V-E

Postby KeepAnEyeOnBob » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:39 am

Is that where the new orbital route is supposed to go? There was a plan to extend the street from the Cathedral through where St. John's Pavilion is and onto Sexton St.
KeepAnEyeOnBob

Postby Tuborg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:41 pm

Yeah, a new link road is being built between Cathedral Place and Sexton Street as part of the orbital route, St John's pavillion is to be demolished to make way for it.

If its "a huge site" as D-A-V-E refers to, then it's possibly Costelloes yard, which is right beside John's pavillion. This is the proposed site for the new courts complex but that project is very much in its infancy and there is no guarantee that it will even get off the drawing board. I must take a spin out that direction and have a look for myself!

Tuborg

Postby D-A-V-E » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:43 am

Tuborg wrote:Yeah, a new link road is being built between Cathedral Place and Sexton Street as part of the orbital route, St John's pavillion is to be demolished to make way for it.

If its "a huge site" as D-A-V-E refers to, then it's possibly Costelloes yard, which is right beside John's pavillion. This is the proposed site for the new courts complex but that project is very much in its infancy and there is no guarantee that it will even get off the drawing board. I must take a spin out that direction and have a look for myself!

ya costellos yard looks like the rite place, it looked like the whole area was cleared and there was a few builders carrying wheelbarrows etc into the site so something is deffinately underway
D-A-V-E

Postby foinse » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:19 pm

Go ahead for Limerick opera centre

Planning permission has been granted for the £250 million Limerick Opera Centre, the largest development ever planned for the city centre.

It is hoped that 25,000 square metre retail/restaurant complex by Belfast-based Regeneration Developments will counter the growth of suburban shopping centres and draw visitors back into the city.

The site in Patrick Street of the new Opera Centre & shopping complex
Heritage bodies such as the Irish Georgian Society have made submissions stressing the architectural sensitivity of the Rutland Street/Ellen Street/Patrick Street/Bank Place quarter but the project has the support of Limerick Co-ordination Office and Mayor Diarmuid Scully.

"This is vitally important for Limerick City and a sign of the renewed confidence in Limerick that an investment of this magnitude is coming to this city and I very much welcome it," said the Mayor.

Senior planner Dick Tobin said further information on services for the development, car-parking, traffic strategy and on what frontllges are to be retained or otherwise was submitted by the developers as requested by City Hall.

Potential objectors now have a three-week window in which to make submissions.
Mayor Scully said while he respected people's right to object on heritage grounds, "there's a danger that heritage sumetimes gets in the way of what's right for the city."

There were buildings in the area, some of which date from the 1770's, "that are not far off being condemned" and might have to be torn down in any case, the Mayor said, adding that the developers had been consulting with Limerick Civic Trust on heritage and conservation matters.

To this end, a £2.5 million museum at the Patrick Street birthplace of 19th century Limerick diva Catherine Hayes will form part of the appropriately named development.

The developers have predicted that the project could bring over 100 000 people into the city weekly and have knock-on benefits for the Hunt Museum and other city centre attractions. Up to 500 jobs could be created in the construction phase and 1,000 fulltime jobs after it is completed.
foinse

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:01 pm

foinse wrote:Go ahead for Limerick opera centre

Planning permission has been granted for the £250 million Limerick Opera Centre, the largest development ever planned for the city centre.

It is hoped that 25,000 square metre retail/restaurant complex by Belfast-based Regeneration Developments will counter the growth of suburban shopping centres and draw visitors back into the city.

The site in Patrick Street of the new Opera Centre & shopping complex
Heritage bodies such as the Irish Georgian Society have made submissions stressing the architectural sensitivity of the Rutland Street/Ellen Street/Patrick Street/Bank Place quarter but the project has the support of Limerick Co-ordination Office and Mayor Diarmuid Scully.

"This is vitally important for Limerick City and a sign of the renewed confidence in Limerick that an investment of this magnitude is coming to this city and I very much welcome it," said the Mayor.

Senior planner Dick Tobin said further information on services for the development, car-parking, traffic strategy and on what frontllges are to be retained or otherwise was submitted by the developers as requested by City Hall.

Potential objectors now have a three-week window in which to make submissions.
Mayor Scully said while he respected people's right to object on heritage grounds, "there's a danger that heritage sumetimes gets in the way of what's right for the city."

There were buildings in the area, some of which date from the 1770's, "that are not far off being condemned" and might have to be torn down in any case, the Mayor said, adding that the developers had been consulting with Limerick Civic Trust on heritage and conservation matters.

To this end, a £2.5 million museum at the Patrick Street birthplace of 19th century Limerick diva Catherine Hayes will form part of the appropriately named development.

The developers have predicted that the project could bring over 100 000 people into the city weekly and have knock-on benefits for the Hunt Museum and other city centre attractions. Up to 500 jobs could be created in the construction phase and 1,000 fulltime jobs after it is completed.

What archive did you pull this from? Diarmuid Scully hasn't been the Mayor of Limerick for years (thank God).
rumpelstiltskin

Postby foinse » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:49 pm

rumpelstiltskin wrote:What archive did you pull this from? Diarmuid Scully hasn't been the Mayor of Limerick for years (thank God).

[email="http://www.limerickbiz.com/limerick_opera_centre.html"]http://www.limerickbiz.com/limerick_opera_centre.html[/email]
foinse

Postby D-A-V-E » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:30 am

does anyone know of any realistic time construction will start?
D-A-V-E

Postby gambra » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:25 pm

D-A-V-E wrote:does anyone know of any realistic time construction will start?

2-3 years is pretty realistic.The developers are going to be putting it on the long finger til the economy picks up if I remember reading the papers correctly.
gambra

Postby Tuborg » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:11 pm

Sarsfield Bar to reopen as cultural cafe

By Alan Owens

ONE OF Limerick's most iconic pubs is to be reopened as a cultural centre, in the short-term at least.
The Sarsfield Bar, or "Spirit Store" as it is also known, lies on the corner of Rutland Street and Bank Place opposite the Hunt Museum.
The landmark pub has lain derelict for years, and in latter years has been earmarked as part of the pending Opera Centre development.

However, before that development goes ahead, the bar is to open as a cultural centre for the months of August and September.

The Sarsfield Bar will become the Spirit Store Art Cafe for the next two months, the project being the brainchild of Marlyn Lennon of Limerick School of Art and Design.

A host of diverse cultural activities will take place there, including talks, performances, debates, discussions, screenings, readings and meetings with musicians, writers, visual artists, film makers, collectives and various clubs and societies.

"The idea is that all interested people in Limerick will attend and contribute to this exciting project," explained local man Paul Tarpey, who is helping to get the project off the ground.

"This inclusive experiment is an open invitation for all of Limerick to experience, absorb and creatively contribute to an exciting project. There will be a collection of diverse cultural activities taking place in the unique environment of a Limerick landmark," he said.

Mr Tarpey explained that the Spirit Store Art Cafe will "seek to infuse this reclaimed space" with a busy programme of arts activities.
It will open on Sunday, with a preview this Saturday at 5pm.

The cafe will be open Tuesday to Sunday, from 12pm "until sunset". Coffee will be served free or with a donation, but no food will be served.

© Limerick Leader

Nice to see the Sarsfield Bar being brought back to life, if only for a few weeks. It's criminal that its been allowed to rot away for the last number of years. At this stage, it's in need of a fairly thorough conservation job!

Also, the article is completely wrong in reporting that the Sarsfield Bar forms part of the Opera Centre. It of course remains independent of that project!:rolleyes:
Tuborg

Postby D-A-V-E » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:00 pm

the first floodlight is up in the gaelic grounds, on the side of the macky stand and clare side terrace..its absolutely HUGE! dworfs thomonds floodlights!
D-A-V-E

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland