Preparing for Degree

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Preparing for Degree

Postby Lise-Ann » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:16 am

I'm about to begin studying for a BA in Architecture this September. I'm 26 so will be a mature student. My background is in financial services so this is a complete change for me! (and no its not because I've lost my job in the last 6 months in fact I still have a job which I have chosen to leave to pursue this degree!!!):eek:
I am yet to receive a reading list from the university but I am reading Fountain Head at the moment. Are there any other books or tips you can give me for preparing for my degree course as I am pretty much a novice!:o

Thanks
Lise-Ann

Re: Preparing for Degree

Postby parka » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:15 pm

parka

Postby spoil_sport » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:40 pm

Peter Zumthor: "Thinking Architecture" + "Atmospheres"
Tanizaki: "In praise of shadows"
Italo Calvino: "Invisible Cities"
Kenneth Frampton dose a good general History + Theory, not sure of the exact title... modern architecture something or other, probably better than the Spiro Kostof one.
spoil_sport

Postby spoil_sport » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:41 pm

DoublePost
spoil_sport

Postby cajual » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:43 am

seconded. best book i know of on architecture, although i only understood its full implications when i was in my final year.

its so simple, it takes years to appreciate it.

To be honest, starting out, i would read up on general books. get some context, learn about the masters. as you get into the subject you will find areas that interest you more than other and can investigate further.

i read Charles Jencks' Modern movements in Archtecture before i started, pretty verbose but a great critcial overview of 20th Century Architecure. Kenneth Frampton would be in a similar vein.
cajual

Postby BenK » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:00 pm

Yeah I agree, 'Lessons for students of Architecture is very good, cuts through the crap that can sometimes be written in architecture books... I also thought 'Experiencing Architecture' by Steen Eiler Rasmussen was a helpful read for someone starting out.

'Architect?: A candid guide to the Profession' by Roger K. Lewis was also helpful in that it explains what college life is like, the education process, pros and cons to the profession etc...

In saying that, I went in completely blind when I started the course and I came out alright so don't worry too much about preparing yourself for the degree. It'll all be a shock to the system anyway! Good luck
BenK

Postby Lise-Ann » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:26 am

Hey

Thanks for all the tips so far. I think perhaps I am trying to pre-empt a bit to much and perhaps I should just relax and stop worrying or second guessing myself!

I'm still happy to have any further recommendations or tips and one other thing that I am slightly concerned by is my artisitic ability. Having been an office worked for so long I am worried I'll be left behind by my fellow students who have probably just finished art A levels etc, should i be concerned?

Thanks again
Lise-Ann

Postby parka » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:10 pm

Lise-Ann wrote: Having been an office worked for so long I am worried I'll be left behind by my fellow students who have probably just finished art A levels etc, should i be concerned?

Just enjoy the course and go in with an open mind. Everyone approaches the course in a different way, so use your best strengths and work on the rest, it is easy to get stuck in a rut trying to master everything. Presentation skills are key for portfolio and crits.

Ideally (if possible), try and visit the end of year exhibition (or look on-line......bdonline and ajplus have links up for the UK universities) it will give you a good idea of what type of schemes 1st Year students are producing.
parka

Return to World Architecture