Government wants to repossess landmark College Green bank

Bank of Ireland, College Green

Postby kinsella » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:58 pm

I have always thought that it should have it's own thread.
It is my personal favourite of all of Dublin's buildings. It's a Palladian wet-dream, and I agree with Christine Casey; 'that it is arguably the most accomplished public set-piece of the Palladian style in these islands.'
In the main I started the thread to ask if anyone has any pictures/photographs of the building's interior. If so - please post them. Many thanks!
kinsella

Re: Bank of Ireland, College Green

Postby jdivision » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:30 pm

Be interesting to see how it's affected it Trinity get planning for the new pub on Foster Place
jdivision

Postby Cathal Dunne » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:41 pm

jdivision wrote:Be interesting to see how it's affected it Trinity get planning for the new pub on Foster Place

A new pub? Prithee tell more!
Cathal Dunne

Postby notjim » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:35 pm

As mentioned in the Forster Place thread, TCD has leased the banking hall on Forster place to a pub chain, I can't remember which one and are applying for planning for the change of use.

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=4479
notjim

Postby missarchi » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:56 pm

Is there a for sale sticker on it?;)
missarchi
Old Master

Postby aj » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:01 am

if we could get rid of the taxis in foster place it could make for a really nice little square
aj

Postby Cathal Dunne » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:17 pm

notjim wrote:As mentioned in the Forster Place thread, TCD has leased the banking hall on Forster place to a pub chain, I can't remember which one and are applying for planning for the change of use.

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=4479

More pubs=good.
Cathal Dunne

Postby jdivision » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:10 pm

Not sure how the Irish Stock Exchange next door will react! I can imagine some upturned noses.
jdivision

Postby Cathal Dunne » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:10 pm

jdivision wrote:Not sure how the Irish Stock Exchange next door will react! I can imagine some upturned noses.

Upturned noses? When the ISEQ is sub-3000 they're as impoverished as the rest of us. They might even welcome this new possibility for respite from the financial storm.
Cathal Dunne

Postby missarchi » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:54 pm

it's got a new name "The Bank Job"
missarchi
Old Master

Postby reddy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:02 am

The wax museum is goin in here too...

New Location

The Museum will re-open next spring at a new location in Foster Place in College Green, Dublin 2.

Visitors will discover a world where fantasy and reality combine and heroes of the past and the present will come alive before their eyes.

Children will experience a World of Fairytale and Fantasy, as they wander through the Kingdom of Fairytales to find the magical lamp and the all powerful genie!

The main section of the wax exhibition will broadly reflect the historical and cultural development of Ireland. Here visitors will find life sized figures heroes, together with the literary figures: Joyce, Yeats, and their contemporaries.

Displays have an informative and educational narrative which can be heard at the touch of a button.

The Chamber of Horrors is for the brave. In the Hall of Megastars, patrons will meet the stars of the glittery world of rock and roll in the form of: Michael Jackson, Madonna and all time great, Elvis Presley.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Wax_Museum_(Ireland)
reddy

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:01 pm

a further proof of the decline of dame street / college green
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:07 pm

I dont know why this Wax Museum idea keeps getting peddled...I dont get what the attraction is.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Considering all the tax's paid by the banks around here you would expect more...

http://www.arts-sport-tourism.gov.ie/publications/release.asp?ID=100234

Minister Cullen also confirmed that further to the publication of the contract notice for the redevelopment of the National Concert Hall in May this year, the project is progressing. Three consortia have been invited to participate in the dialogue phase that will lead to the placement of a contract for the new Concert Hall PPP project. Work is continuing on the PPP for the Abbey Theatre. All Access 11 approved projects will be funded in 2009 and 2010.
missarchi
Old Master

Postby Service charge » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:18 pm

Great thread.

I am really interested in this building. Couple of questions.

1. What is behind the big wooden doors on Westmoreland st. On Bing earth it seems to show a street with what might be nice buildings, anyone have any idea?

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=swqr8hggbgq2&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=29507649&encType=1

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=swqr8hggbgq2&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=29506805&encType=1

2. Whats behind the entrance on Foster place, I know the house of lords in on the otherside, but what is the big gallery building there?

3. What else is hidden behind the curtain walls. There must be some interesting facades from the original building?

If anyone has photos it would be great or if anyone has a friend in the bank.
Service charge

Postby missarchi » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:27 am

Service charge wrote:If anyone has photos it would be great or if anyone has a friend in the bank.

It was robbed not long ago!
missarchi
Old Master

Postby Service charge » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:55 pm

Interesting early drawing before the various remodelling took place. Really was such a different building in it's original form.
Attachments
DSC00174.jpg
DSC00174.jpg (27.41 KiB) Viewed 5391 times
Service charge

Postby gunter » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:49 pm

Service charge wrote:Interesting early drawing before the various remodelling took place.

Never seen that drawing before, what's the origins of it?
Any chance of posting a slightly clearer copy? . . . doesn't matter about the centre bit:)
gunter
Old Master

Postby Service charge » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:07 pm

Actually, managed to find a copy online, as opposed to my camera phone. Plus another view

Service charge

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:32 pm

We bailed out BoI, let's have their HQ

A CITY councillor has called for Bank of Ireland to give its historic headquarters on College Green to the Irish people, in return for bailing it out.

Cllr Nial Ring said, after the money Bank of Ireland had received from the tax payer, the "magnificent" and historical asset should be handed over, even by way of lease or loan.

He told the Herald: "In light of the amount they got from NAMA and with them reducing staff numbers, it's only basically used now as a branch. I want to ask them if there's any possibility they could give it to the people of Ireland.

"It would be something which could act as a gesture from Bank of Ireland -- it's a magnificent building."

Cllr Ring is proposing to ask Dublin City Council or the Taoiseach to take the matter up with Bank of Ireland, and to develop the building into an exhibition space or museum.

Alternatively he said Minister for Tourism Culture and Sport Mary Hanafin, or Finance Minister Brian Lenihan could act on behalf of the Irish people.

Senator David Norris, who previously proposed that the building be used to house the Senate, said he supported the call. "The people of Ireland now own the banks, and the banks have swindled the people of Ireland. Bank of Ireland should come into public ownership."

He added: "The whole Bank of Ireland is a protected structure so it would be absolute nonsense to suggest that the Abbey goes in there, but I'd be all in favour of an exhibition or a museum."

The 'House of Lords' part of the building contains famous large scale tapestries that depict the Siege of Derry and the Battle of the Boyne.

And College Green is Dublin's only major Italian piazza according to Cllr Ring, and opening up Bank of Ireland completely to the public would enhance the area.

CEREMONIAL

"It's the only place you can get people into the one area and have a focal point on ceremonial occasions. When Ireland came back from the World Cup in 1990 people gathered there, and Clinton made his speech from there when he visited," he explained. "With Trinity just across the road, it is an iconic building in the city. It would be great if we could have exhibitions or something there."

A spokesperson for Bank of Ireland said it did not intend to dispose of the building "at this moment in time".

"For a 10-year period between 1996 and 2006 the bank hosted a variety of art exhibitions and public events in an adjoining premises, which was leased, located on Foster Place known as The Arts Centre."

She added: "Following an indepth review it was decided to close the building as it was deemed that the building, due to its age and facilities, was very limited in meeting the demands of modern day productions."

Bank of Ireland purchased the building on College Green for £40,000 shortly after the Act of Union on August 24, 1803, and since then the bank has used it as a working branch and an administrative HQ.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/we-bailed-out-boi-lets-have-their-hq-2144282.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:20 pm

The banks probably lease them to themselves anyway.
Take all the banks and rent them to the banks!
All this stuff is like a big blanket the details will never come out because it will disclose to much and the state will be liable. I will never forgive the banks for harassing me to invest in the twilight years. It's musical chairs...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby notjim » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Ah yes because we have lots of ideas for appropriate uses just crying out for a public owned beautiful historic building; like we have a million things we want to exhibit.

BoI maintaining the building and supporting a by now historically established use which permits public access is one of the few things in the favour!

Ring should go and shove a Custom's House up his arse.
notjim

Postby kinsella » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:30 am

Paul Clerkin wrote:We bailed out BoI, let's have their HQ

Seconded.
kinsella

Postby notjim » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:02 am

kinsella wrote:Seconded.

and then what?
notjim

Postby Global Citizen » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:40 am

Paul Clerkin wrote:We bailed out BoI, let's have their HQ

"It's the only place you can get people into the one area and have a focal point on ceremonial occasions. When Ireland came back from the World Cup in 1990 people gathered there.......

College Green could continue to host ceremonial occasions regardless of who occupies the Bank. However, as the location for the World Cup homecoming after Italia 90, the place was totally inadequate. I was there that night and it was pure luck that nobody was crushed to death by the crowds. The Phoenix park would have been a far more suitable location and sure enough, thats where the Irish team were welcomed home four years later when they returned from USA 94. Ironically College Green would have been the ideal location this time around given the small crowd that turned up at the park.

It was the wrong place for the Clinton visit too, as only those in the crowd with a direct view of the stage could catch a glimpse of the man. If Obama is ever granted the freedom to graze his sheep in Stephens Green I would guess that he won't be presented with the keys to the city on the steps of The Bank of Ireland.

For what its worth, I'm also in favour of Cllr Ring's call to have the building handed over to the state as long as it remains open to the public. I disagree with Senator Norris' proposal to house the Seanad there. Although I think the good senator was just throwing the idea out there to gauge peoples opinion and always knew privately that such a move was a non runner.
Global Citizen

Next

Return to Ireland