Dunnes Stores Patrick St

Dunnes Stores Patrick St

Postby d_d_dallas » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Dunnes taking shape. Refreshed facade has it's plus and minus aspects.
d_d_dallas

Re: Dunnes Stores Patrick St

Postby d_d_dallas » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:18 pm

Promoting more active side street usage...
d_d_dallas

Postby d_d_dallas » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:19 pm

What he giveth with one hand he taketh away with the other...
d_d_dallas

Postby d_d_dallas » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Roofline...
d_d_dallas

Postby d_d_dallas » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:22 pm

This revamped Dunnes is next to the Academy St development - materials etc are strikingly similar. In effect 2 city blocks have become very homogenous. That said I think the Dunnes effort at this stage looks better than the Academy St one.
d_d_dallas

Postby Angry Rebel » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:18 am

Agree on the facade, but think it tends to the negative overall. Too many different styles to the facade.
Angry Rebel

Postby Chris_533976 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:16 pm

The two centre parts of the facade are gorgeous and are a welcome break from the generic glass box thats appeared all over Ireland recently. The glass box on the left looks ridiculous and should never have been considered, let alone built.
Chris_533976

Postby malec » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:26 pm

^^ You mean the part on the left here?

I actually kind of like this, I was expecting the worst originally. The academy street development looks awful though, especially the top three floors
malec

Postby KeepAnEyeOnBob » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:29 pm

Yep, I think the glass box just spoils the whole effect on the front - very disruptive and ugly.

Still, as a recent development, it's a lot nicer than the Dunnes Stores on Henry St. in Limerick, but probably only because of the decent part of the facade.
KeepAnEyeOnBob

Postby jungle » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:25 pm

I actually have more problem with the stupid first floor window on the right than I have with the glass box.

It looks like someone stuck it on as an afterthought.
jungle

Postby bosco » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:57 pm

What is it with those horrible cladding tiles we're seeing on so many developments in the last few years? Immediately springing to mind are the school of music, new airport terminal (and fire station), academy street and dunnes, plus plenty more. It's like the only choice available is the beige marble type tiles or the grey plasticky cladding. Legoland becomes reality.
bosco

Postby Tuborg » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:31 pm

jungle wrote:I actually have more problem with the stupid first floor window on the right than I have with the glass box.

It looks like someone stuck it on as an afterthought.

I was wondering about that nonsense myself. I don't seem to recall that building having a bay window previously!:rolleyes:

As for the contemporary addition to the side. Well it just looks really crude alongside the highly decorative adjoining building! Would a more traditional design not have been more appropriate here?
Tuborg

Postby Radioactiveman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:37 pm

Here's the original building from the stores opening in 1944:

Bay window is a throwback to the original. Also nice to see they've replaced the groundfloor shopfront of this particular building (which housed the first ever Dunnes Stores) with something in keeping with the original.
The most recent shopfront had obliterated everything at this level.
Radioactiveman

Postby Tuborg » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:07 am

A throwback of sorts I guess. Its a pity the shopfront on the two central buildings isnt a bit more respectful, although its still a huge improvement on what went before it.

When is this store due to re-open?
Tuborg

Postby na Gopaleen » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:17 am

The whole facade is a complete mess. What is this, the holy trinity plus one!
na Gopaleen

Postby jdivision » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:31 am

The old facade looks good, the new one's a dreaful contrast. I don't know why the glass is so inset, visually it causes it to jar a bit.
jdivision

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:58 am

It'd look a lot better if each section of it was painted a different colour. Then it would fit in with the heterogeneity of the rest of the street (and of Cork for that matter).
rumpelstiltskin

Postby mickeydocs » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:57 pm

Dunnes are passing this building off as a homage to Ben Dunne Senior... he must have been very popular ;)
mickeydocs

Postby Radioactiveman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:45 am

Dunnes seem to be ramping up their 65th Birthday celebrations. Presumably, the grand opening here will be a massive part of that. Anybody hear an opening date? Given the company's extreme reluctance to speak publicly about anything, I wouldn't be surprised if we woke up one morning and it was open.
I'd like to vote for John Spillane singing 'Dunnes Stores Girl' at the opening though :p
Radioactiveman

Postby MrX » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:48 am

Aren't Dunnes Stores re-branding as DUNNES ?

If so, there'll be some very ready faces when Margaret Heffernan arrives down and all the signage has to be redone!
MrX

Postby Radioactiveman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:18 am

Opening in early September according to reports in today's Examiner.
Radioactiveman

Postby dmndnn » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:17 am

MrX wrote:Aren't Dunnes Stores re-branding as DUNNES ?

If so, there'll be some very ready faces when Margaret Heffernan arrives down and all the signage has to be redone!

Yes i believe they are all being rebranded as DUNNES with the exception of the Patrick Street store, I think it has something to do with it being the very first Dunnes Stores
dmndnn

Postby Cathal Dunne » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:01 pm

The place looks a terrible jumble. It looks like four buildings which have been thrown together against their collective will. They would have been better to use the facade of the centre-left quarter and extend it over the other 3 quarters. It's nice, traditional and well-balanced. It would also be appropriate given that it is celebrating something historic - an anniversary. The modern part is very poorly judged. It makes the building unbalanced. The lettering "Dunnes Stores" also looks as if it is out of line.
Cathal Dunne

Postby GrahamH » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:04 am

Fully agreed, d_d_dallas, that the Dunnes development is better than the Academy Street effort, the latter of which is retail architecture at its wallpapering worst - thin, weak, incoherent, false, chaotic at roof level, and thoroughly uninspired overall. Dunnes by contrast (literally) has a managed to inject considerably more style and sense of permanance - dare one even say a dash of urbanisim - into their ensemble, with a more controlled palatte of materials used in a distingushed manner. The high contrast stone finishes coupled with crisp angular forms is refreshing and eye-catching, if predictably detailed in parts. The side elevations I thought looked particularly interesting, but how they work as new street frontages I couldn't observe, with the rights of way still sealed off. There is a concern that they will be unduly monolithic with acres of dead frontage. Hopefully not.

The Patrick's Street elevation does not photograph well, looking considerably better in real life. Taking account of the wider jumbled streetscape, I think it does a reasonable - if arrogant - job in expressing the 21st century Dunnes. Its form is sharp and distinctive, and the expansive glazing not without justifcation at this junction. The extensive variety of building shapes and other streets punctured in the streetscape along this stretch makes such a prominent feature fit in rather comfortably. The glazing is inoffensive, and is something that can be replaced with ease at any point. Indeed, it appears almost as though a mere transitional phase in the terrace's evolution; standing as an interesting monument to the transient character of modern retailing, it being highly likely that something else will be occupying this site in twenty years time.

Also agreed that none of the branded lettering works. It is comprised of overly-bulky and protruding internally-illuminated lettering, which is both cumbersome in its own right and inaccurately scaled relative to context almost everywhere it is used on the complex. A shame, as the brand concept itself is quite nice.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby johnglas » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:22 am

Trying to get a handle on all this stuff as it slowly emerges; Corkonians can no doubt give us an integrated critique once it's all finished. Very much liked the look of the streetlamps at the Academy St (?) dev; are these Cork CC or the developer's? Among the most elegant I've seen (and much better than the overblown stuff on Patrick St). We really need a campaign fo Real Street Furniture.
johnglas

Next

Return to Ireland