Self Build Novice Advice Please

Self Build Novice Advice Please

Postby Noon » Sat May 23, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi All, as an avid reader of your discussions (and sometimes heated debates) I wonder if you would give me some advice please?

At long last we found a site with full planning permission -if any of you read my previous contribution you would know that we are 'blowins' and couldn't possibly get planning of our own volition. Anyway, on checking out the drawings and planning documentation at the Co Co I discovered that revised drawings were requested which meant losing a room (much to my disappointment because it would have had lovely views). This meant the square footage was reduced but the architect who revised and submitted the drawings did not change the dimensions or overall square footage. Hence, the drawings were approved and full planning permission granted for the original house size.

1 Does this mean we can build the house at the granted size ie, the original square footage? If so, can we claw back the space by extending a wall for example?

2 If we wanted to put a couple of small windows into the gable end to increase light in those two rooms - would we need planning permission? If so, what would be our chances of getting it given the fact we are 'blowins'?

3 We would also like to build a garage. There is no planning nor was it applied for. Would we stand a chance if we applied?

4 I've been 'googling' in relation to underfloor heating. Obviously, very conflicting information depending on the website.
Have any of you got underfloor heating? If so, is it worth the investment and what would you advise?

Your advice on any or all of the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)
Noon

Re: Self Build Novice Advice Please

Postby teak » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:03 pm

On questions 1 - 3 you ought go and ask your architect.
I think he may have pulled off a coup for you.
If so, show your appreciation in the usual manner.:)

For underfloor heating go to local/national suppliers of such systems.
Thresh the details out with them.
Some will have actual jobs in progress that you might go and visit.
Naturally, also discuss the building implications and building costs of the proposed systems with your architect.

You've now got a stake in the local area.
So you can stop calling yourself a blow-in. :p
teak

Return to Ireland