well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Postby Tuborg » Wed May 20, 2009 8:40 pm

An update on the stalled Parkway Valley project.

'Major jobs blow' at Parkway Valley development (Limerick Leader)

By Nick Rabbitts

ALMOST 300 skilled construction workers look likely to remain out of work after a petition was lodged in the High Court to recover money from the developers behind the multi-million-euro Parkway Valley project.
The huge Dublin Road development began slowing to a halt last August, following the builders' holiday. Now, Dublin firm Deepdrill Developments has applied to the High Court for the liquidation of Danningers, the main operating company of Ireland's biggest developer, Liam Carroll. The case is expected to be heard next Monday.

SIPTU believe that the Parkway Valley development, on which work ceased in November after a skeleton staff had operated for some months, will be a casualty of the court action and is expected to impact on up to 300 builders promised work - as well many more potential retail jobs.

Assistant SIPTU organiser Mark Quinn told the Limerick Leader: "It's a major blow to the construction industry within the region. There are 300 jobs affected by the shut down of this site, and there has been basically no response from Danningers confirming the same – even though we have contacted them on several occasions.

"It's a massive blow to employees who have been left in limbo for so long as to what's happened. But there is very little you can do in relation to the project as its a private entity.

"We would like some clarification from Danningers in relation to who the clients are and why the project could not be continued. The region needs to have an answer to what is potentially going to be an eyesore."

A part of the neighbouring Childers' Road was to be widened to facilitate the shopping centre. This is also now unlikely to happen, something which has led city councillor Kieran O'Hanlon to call for developers to put money forward to facilitate planning gain.

"Some of this money should have been paid up front when planning permission was given.

"This is our city and we just cannot have derelict sites," he said, adding: "It's the tail end of the Celtic Tiger when you see this. It would have been great for the local building sector. I really don't know what's going to happen with these buildings, as we have sites which are half-abandoned in Rhebogue as well. Its an issue I will be taking up with the City Council."

The development, originally given the go-ahead in 2005, promised "iconic surroundings" and "dynamic shopping" with more than 47,000 square meters in retail space. It was expected to welcome its first customers this year.

Earlier this week, the Construction Industry Federation warned that as many as 12,500 jobs could be lost in this region alone as the global recession takes hold.

Danningers declined to comment.
Tuborg

Postby Griff » Fri May 22, 2009 9:59 am

I assume its safe to say this site will never be finished by Dannigers.. its going to be the most awful eyesore - and I bet theres no way they can be legally forced to level/clean up the site ? A good solution perhaps would be to close the old parkway SC (taking some of the load off the roundabout) and transfer into the Parkway Valley site. The biggest change this region needs is a boundary extension to prevent any more of these ludicrous out of town developments..
Griff

Postby D-A-V-E » Fri May 22, 2009 2:33 pm

i passed the gaelic grounds yesterday, they seemed to be doing a lot of digging around there..it wouldnt have anything to do with the new floodlights would it? i know they are going to have floodlights for the international rules test in october
D-A-V-E

Postby Tuborg » Fri May 22, 2009 10:37 pm

Griff wrote:I assume its safe to say this site will never be finished by Dannigers.. its going to be the most awful eyesore - and I bet theres no way they can be legally forced to level/clean up the site ? A good solution perhaps would be to close the old parkway SC (taking some of the load off the roundabout) and transfer into the Parkway Valley site. The biggest change this region needs is a boundary extension to prevent any more of these ludicrous out of town developments..

The parkway is one area where the tug of war between the City and County Council's is most apparent, its home to some of the worst planning imaginable! Its a case of how much inappropriate development can each side cram in?

I can't say Im unhappy that Parkway Valley isnt going ahead. The reality is that the area just wouldn't be able to handle the extra traffic volumes without major infrastructural improvements. Of course, it was an absolute disgrace that it got permission in the first place but we all know the reasons behind it!:rolleyes:

On another note. I wonder is there any way the Council can force the developers to deliver the promised improvements to the Childers Road?

D-A-V-E wrote:i passed the gaelic grounds yesterday, they seemed to be doing a lot of digging around there..it wouldnt have anything to do with the new floodlights would it? i know they are going to have floodlights for the international rules test in october

Yeah its the floodlights alright, work started on site last week. I think they're planning to stage 1 of this years County Finals under the lights as a test run before the International Rules.
Tuborg

Postby Griff » Sat May 23, 2009 8:26 am

D-A-V-E wrote:i passed the gaelic grounds yesterday, they seemed to be doing a lot of digging around there..it wouldnt have anything to do with the new floodlights would it? i know they are going to have floodlights for the international rules test in october

Seemingly there are plans to knock and replace the stand in the Gaelic grounds with something 'decent'.. it took a long time to get planning for the floodlights so it'll be a few years yet before we'll see a new stand.
Griff

Postby D-A-V-E » Sat May 23, 2009 3:47 pm

Griff wrote:Seemingly there are plans to knock and replace the stand in the Gaelic grounds with something 'decent'.. it took a long time to get planning for the floodlights so it'll be a few years yet before we'll see a new stand.

cool do you know if this is actually going ahead, how big will it be etc..probably going to be a nightmear building it as you have a busy road immediately adjacent to it!
D-A-V-E

Postby Griff » Mon May 25, 2009 8:40 am

D-A-V-E wrote:cool do you know if this is actually going ahead, how big will it be etc..probably going to be a nightmear building it as you have a busy road immediately adjacent to it!

Havnt a clue - just heard it from the contractor installing the floodlights.
Griff

Postby Griff » Mon May 25, 2009 8:52 am

Also currently being tendered as a design and build is a new Critical Care unit at the Regional hospital. It is to be located in the car park in front of the newer part of the hospital. I believe this is a decent sized project and seemingly the HSE has the money to actually build it which is unusual these days! Not sure what the plans are in terms of future parking.
Griff

Postby dave123 » Mon May 25, 2009 6:20 pm

How is the residential market in Limerick in comparison to the other regions? Any recent planning permissions by developers? Seems like Caherdavin is a potential area to expand now that is in the city! The distrubutor road will allow hundreds of unused land to open up to residential development. If the city council act on this, they maybe be able to turn around red tape and increase the residential population of the dwindling city council boundary actual population
dave123

Postby dave123 » Mon May 25, 2009 6:22 pm

Tuborg wrote:An update on the stalled Parkway Valley project.

'Major jobs blow' at Parkway Valley development (Limerick Leader)

By Nick Rabbitts

ALMOST 300 skilled construction workers look likely to remain out of work after a petition was lodged in the High Court to recover money from the developers behind the multi-million-euro Parkway Valley project.
The huge Dublin Road development began slowing to a halt last August, following the builders' holiday. Now, Dublin firm Deepdrill Developments has applied to the High Court for the liquidation of Danningers, the main operating company of Ireland's biggest developer, Liam Carroll. The case is expected to be heard next Monday.

SIPTU believe that the Parkway Valley development, on which work ceased in November after a skeleton staff had operated for some months, will be a casualty of the court action and is expected to impact on up to 300 builders promised work - as well many more potential retail jobs.

Assistant SIPTU organiser Mark Quinn told the Limerick Leader: "It's a major blow to the construction industry within the region. There are 300 jobs affected by the shut down of this site, and there has been basically no response from Danningers confirming the same – even though we have contacted them on several occasions.

"It's a massive blow to employees who have been left in limbo for so long as to what's happened. But there is very little you can do in relation to the project as its a private entity.

"We would like some clarification from Danningers in relation to who the clients are and why the project could not be continued. The region needs to have an answer to what is potentially going to be an eyesore."

A part of the neighbouring Childers' Road was to be widened to facilitate the shopping centre. This is also now unlikely to happen, something which has led city councillor Kieran O'Hanlon to call for developers to put money forward to facilitate planning gain.

"Some of this money should have been paid up front when planning permission was given.

"This is our city and we just cannot have derelict sites," he said, adding: "It's the tail end of the Celtic Tiger when you see this. It would have been great for the local building sector. I really don't know what's going to happen with these buildings, as we have sites which are half-abandoned in Rhebogue as well. Its an issue I will be taking up with the City Council."

The development, originally given the go-ahead in 2005, promised "iconic surroundings" and "dynamic shopping" with more than 47,000 square meters in retail space. It was expected to welcome its first customers this year.

Earlier this week, the Construction Industry Federation warned that as many as 12,500 jobs could be lost in this region alone as the global recession takes hold.

Danningers declined to comment.

They can't just leave a half finished shopping centre there like that, can there be a solution to this crisis. Its still very valuable and attractive to be one of the best provincial centres in the country. The current suburban population already holds 20,000 and thats not including the city.

Lisnagry, Annacotty and Castlertroy. This is not mentioning Like Newport and Castleconnel and surrounding North Tipp region

There is a huge market
dave123

Postby Griff » Mon May 25, 2009 9:28 pm

well they have...and you can add the Opera centre ... the Butler Office development on Henry st..part of Coonagh Cross seems to be abandoned also...The private hospital on the Dock rd has been stuck at foundation level for over a year now - although I heard that they are close to agreeing finance and will be back onsite soon. The private hospital for Adare I believe isnt going ahead..
Griff

Postby Tuborg » Mon May 25, 2009 10:19 pm

Griff wrote:Seemingly there are plans to knock and replace the stand in the Gaelic grounds with something 'decent'.. it took a long time to get planning for the floodlights so it'll be a few years yet before we'll see a new stand.

Its certainly the first I've heard of this anyway. I cant imagine where they would find the finances to fund such a project, maybe JP McManus is feeling generous again!

It would be great if it was true though, the existing Mackey stand is nothing short of an embarassment. Unfortunately its going to be seen by a large tv audience in Australia this October aswell!:o
Tuborg

Postby D-A-V-E » Tue May 26, 2009 10:25 am

it doesn't do the rest of the stadium any justice anyway, really puts it down on that side..the new stand will have to be quite small in order to fit between the pitce and the road..or, and i hope its this..it will have to be very steep!
D-A-V-E

Postby D-A-V-E » Tue May 26, 2009 10:28 am

dave123 wrote:They can't just leave a half finished shopping centre there like that, can there be a solution to this crisis. Its still very valuable and attractive to be one of the best provincial centres in the country. The current suburban population already holds 20,000 and thats not including the city.

Lisnagry, Annacotty and Castlertroy. This is not mentioning Like Newport and Castleconnel and surrounding North Tipp region

There is a huge market

i dunno if your talking about just castletroy alone but i heard it was over 32,000, thats not including the raheen/dooradoyle area which is supposed to be around the 25,000 mark :o
D-A-V-E

Postby Tuborg » Tue May 26, 2009 2:57 pm

An Bord Pleanala have given the go ahead for the proposed new co-located private hospital at the Mid Western Regional in Dooradoyle.

Previous Post
Tuborg

Postby dave123 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:07 pm

D-A-V-E wrote:i dunno if your talking about just castletroy alone but i heard it was over 32,000, thats not including the raheen/dooradoyle area which is supposed to be around the 25,000 mark :o

Well Castletroy is a very large plush suburb. The c.s.o figures says its only around 15,000:confused:. Maybe the exodus of Limerick during the munster rugby weekend meant the census figures were mislead.

I think Limerick city council should now focus on building up Caherdavin now that it has much greenfield and suburban land on its doorstep since the boundary has been extended.

The whole population of Limerick is 95,000. So I can't see Castletroy been 32,000.
dave123

Postby dave123 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:11 pm

So anyone tell ME what is going ahead. The Opera centre has not been officially stopped, once they get the finances and high court shenagians sorted it will go ahead. The investors know this is a worth done deal. It's what Limerick city needs right now. To bring shoppers back to the city. The retail parks already pull people from Cork and Galway. We really don't need the city centre to suffer at this stage onwards.

Think positive guys, ffs. Recession is in the head:rolleyes:
dave123

Postby D-A-V-E » Wed May 27, 2009 6:17 pm

dave123 wrote:Well Castletroy is a very large plush suburb. The c.s.o figures says its only around 15,000:confused:. Maybe the exodus of Limerick during the munster rugby weekend meant the census figures were mislead.

I think Limerick city council should now focus on building up Caherdavin now that it has much greenfield and suburban land on its doorstep since the boundary has been extended.

The whole population of Limerick is 95,000. So I can't see Castletroy been 32,000.

i dunno man, a lot of people have heard a lot of different things..personally i think the greater limerick area is bigger than 100,000 a lot of people are saying that..the 32000 includes the greater area like anacotty, newtown, monaleen, plassey etc also with this new cinema going into ballysimon (which i only recently learned was just outside castletroy!) i found that its population on cso says its around 12-15k so it might be included in the whole 'greater castletroy area' but thats an argunemt for another day!

on another note, has anyone any renders of the facade of the bank on o connell st thay are doing up?

also when that building on the dock road is going ahead?
D-A-V-E

Postby dave123 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:27 am

D-A-V-E wrote:i dunno man, a lot of people have heard a lot of different things..personally i think the greater limerick area is bigger than 100,000 a lot of people are saying that..the 32000 includes the greater area like anacotty, newtown, monaleen, plassey etc also with this new cinema going into ballysimon (which i only recently learned was just outside castletroy!) i found that its population on cso says its around 12-15k so it might be included in the whole 'greater castletroy area' but thats an argunemt for another day!

on another note, has anyone any renders of the facade of the bank on o connell st thay are doing up?

also when that building on the dock road is going ahead?

As far as I know its going ahead! Castletroy and Caherdavin could both have 40,000 each easily if they filled the gaps! They need to start the northern orbital to connect the Northside with the city.
dave123

Postby rachat024 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:51 am

Well, Thanks so much, dave123. Your post is very nice and useful. It helps me much. Thanks again.:)

http://pret-auto.org
rachat024

Postby Goofy » Thu May 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Tuborg wrote:Yeah its the floodlights alright, work started on site last week. I think they're planning to stage 1 of this years County Finals under the lights as a test run before the International Rules.

Have you seen the plans though. Plans Two of the flood light masts will be in front of the terrace! In the north east and north west corners. The terracing in the corners will now be useless as you wont be able to see the whole pitch. Crazy!
Goofy

Postby Tuborg » Thu May 28, 2009 11:58 pm

Goofy wrote:Have you seen the plans though. Plans Two of the flood light masts will be in front of the terrace! In the north east and north west corners. The terracing in the corners will now be useless as you wont be able to see the whole pitch. Crazy!

When I first read your post, I thought, surely this couldn't be true! Astonishingly though, the planning files seem to confirm that pylons are to be placed at the bottom corners of the uncovered stand/terracing!

I honestly cant think of any other ground where this ridiculous arrangement occurs! This is only an assumption but I wonder did the previous refusal have a bearing on the positioning of these masts?

It would be easy to blame Limerick GAA for this monumental cock-up but what the hell were the engineers (Punch & Partners) thinking?:rolleyes:
Attachments
GG Floodlights.jpg
GG Floodlights.jpg (59.52 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
Tuborg

Postby Griff » Sat May 30, 2009 8:54 am

It has to be due to planning restrictions - it looks totally unnatural !.. seemingly the ground has never been full since its redevelopment - so that empty spaces will in future be 3 wedges behind the floodlights - the 4th at the city end of the Mackey stand seems ok.
There is a bit of previous for this layout though - Pairc ui Rinn - the first GAA stadium to have floodlights I believe ( naturally - sure its in Cork like) - although the impact is a lot less as the stadium is smaller and the terraces have square ends,Image
Griff

Postby D-A-V-E » Sun May 31, 2009 3:16 pm

is that development on henry st stopped completely? what exactly are they building there? and is there any truth in the roumers of the eircom building behind riverpoint getting re developed?
D-A-V-E

Postby foinse » Sun May 31, 2009 4:31 pm

D-A-V-E wrote:is that development on henry st stopped completely? what exactly are they building there? and is there any truth in the roumers of the eircom building behind riverpoint getting re developed?

yeah work across the road from that development on Henry St, haven't seen anybody working in there for months, haven't heard anything about the eircom building.
foinse

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland