Liberty Hall Film

Re: Liberty Hall Film

Postby green_jesus » Fri May 15, 2009 6:34 pm

lostexpectation wrote:you wouldn't be suggesting breaching copyright green jesus, are you outside ireland,or have you not got flash installed properly, if paddy doesn't intend releasing on dvd or trying to sell it other broadcsters it he could release it to public domain, bittorrent but he has to at least break even first/pay himself

Yep all in order just not working it as it wont load. Its probably my internet connection strength but rte player is not working for me. :(
green_jesus

Postby trace » Fri May 15, 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks for that, lostexpectation. Here's some more of day and night by Erich Mendelsohn:
Attachments
Day.jpg
Day.jpg (139.96 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
Night.jpg
Night.jpg (58.61 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
trace

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon May 18, 2009 12:10 am

lostexectation wrote:the light/dark flip isn't something i never really noticed before, I guess its diminished a bit by the reflective glass covering, the footage they show after is of liberty hall with a random amount of its windows lit up, rather then all of them maybe there should be one night a year where buildings leave all their lights on??

ask and you shall receive ]http://www.webeireann.com/archiseek/liberty_hall_night.jpg[/IMG]
Peter Fitz

Postby GrahamH » Mon May 18, 2009 12:28 am

Ah yes, a quirky quick shot from the the opening sequence to the 1994? Eurovision Song Contest? (:o) where each floor illuminates as yer man rises. Still not sure how that was achieved so perfectly.

Great Mendelsohn pictures there.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon May 18, 2009 8:39 am

GrahamH wrote:Ah yes, a quirky quick shot from the the opening sequence to the 1994? Eurovision Song Contest? () where each floor illuminates as yer man rises. Still not sure how that was achieved so perfectly.

Thought you might come back on that one ;) at least i'm not the only sad-o 'round here! :) not a clue how they managed it either.
Peter Fitz

Postby GrahamH » Mon May 18, 2009 9:02 am

A fairytale sequence indeed :p

Interestingly, I passed the Central Bank late the other night and the entire building's lighting was suddenly turned on a single switch. No floor-by-floor isolation as one would expect. Quite a sight to see it suddenly land into the streetscape!
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Mon May 18, 2009 1:00 pm

GrahamH wrote:A fairytale sequence indeed :p

Interestingly, I passed the Central Bank late the other night and the entire building's lighting was suddenly turned on a single switch. No floor-by-floor isolation as one would expect. Quite a sight to see it suddenly land into the streetscape!

They did some work on the top floor a little while ago a whole interior fit-out...
maybe they tinkered with things
missarchi
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Mon May 18, 2009 9:08 pm

Still the same cigarette-stained murky 1970s lighting system...

Got round to watching your documentary Paddy. Well done: an elegant, simple piece. Nicely lit, shot and edited, with some fine original music of a subtle oriental theme. Loved the almost-vertical mosaic pans ;)

Desmond Rea O'Kelly is very much a man of his time, and reminds me of some of his other contemporaries, many of whom share the same charming, traditional traits of that generation. One question stands out as unanswered though (I get the impression a clean edit didn't allow for it), is whether Rea O'Kelly was responsible for the installation of reflective glass, and if so why he chose to use it. Perhaps this could be clarified? It appears he was.

Also, if there's one thing I'd have liked to have been included in the programme, it would be his thoughts, then and now, on the impact of Liberty Hall on the Custom House and indeed the city at large. It's something we've never actually heard in public to my knowledge. Also a slight expansion on his thinking behind the design concept relative to the brief would have been interesting - why exactly a tower form was chosen, how its proportions were arrived at, a little on the somewhat compromised floorplates etc. But hey, when you bag a big 'un, you squeeze out as much as ya can before they turn on you ;)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby lostexpectation » Tue May 19, 2009 4:47 am

i don't think he was responsible for the reflective glass, he clearly says that, but he admits to being not so clever, with the floorplate, i think you'd have to ask siptu those other questions as to why they wanted such a colossal building for a union. and why they want another one.
lostexpectation

Postby missarchi » Tue May 19, 2009 6:12 am

lostexpectation wrote:i don't think he was responsible for the reflective glass, he clearly says that, but he admits to being not so clever, with the floorplate, i think you'd have to ask siptu those other questions as to why they wanted such a colossal building for a union. and why they want another one.

I would assume the lift core will be on the north side of the building sticking out abit in the middle? Has everything gone cold turkey? Or is the movie setting the stage for the final show?
missarchi
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Sun May 24, 2009 11:42 pm

The stairwell occupies the middle part at the back, with the lift shaft in the centre, i.e. each office floor is effectively horseshoe in shape.

I didn't note Rea O'Kelly saying he wasn't responsible for the mirror glass, lostexpectation, although I get that impression too. There's a bit of confusion with this, as he was brought back on board after the bomb to oversee or at least advise on the repair works, and yet he refers to an unnamed 'they' when referencing who ordered the use of the new glass, as well as the coating of the mosaic in a putty-like substance (the latter possibly at a later date). If he was brought on as consultant architect, how could something as major as the choice of glass have been outside his control? It doesn't make sense - to the extent that the choice of glass is really the only major decision an architect would actually be brought back to advise on!

I wonder what Eamon's take on the heritage of the building is.

I see you got a decent short review by Liam Fay in The Sunday Times Paddy! Alas it was so apathetic regarding the building itself - shock! - that the entire review became worthless, having understood nothing of the structure's significance - the very essence of the programme.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby murrmurr » Sun May 24, 2009 11:48 pm

Good documentary. I even saw my late grandfather on top of the building during construction. He was working on the air ventilation system :) As ever, reaching for a cigarette :P
Attachments
jimmy.jpg
jimmy.jpg (83.78 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
murrmurr

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon May 25, 2009 10:52 am

murrmurr wrote:Good documentary. I even saw my late grandfather on top of the building during construction. He was working on the air ventilation system As ever, reaching for a cigarette :P

lovely thing to have :)
Peter Fitz

Postby Paddy » Mon May 25, 2009 8:12 pm

murrmurr wrote:Good documentary. I even saw my late grandfather on top of the building during construction. He was working on the air ventilation system :) As ever, reaching for a cigarette :P

That is great, well spotted!

Sorry for the late reply to everyone and thanks for all the comments.

Regards putting it online apart from the RTE Player I personally cannot as I only have permission for the archive footage for broadcast etc.. I have no objections to anyone else putting it up if you have it and want to, I certainly won't be trying to sell it.
The RTE Player will not work outside the republic for copyright reasons, it will be removed in about a week from the RTE Player aswell.

As for the light/dark thing it is great when you see images of the building with all the lights on, I had not seen the Eurovision shot before, I'm glad as I might have been tempted to put it in! For me the best angle to see the building when a lot of the lights are on is coming around Pearce St. on to Tara Street in the winter, below.

Regards the reflective glass it is my understanding talking to him that he had absolutely nothing to do with it or the covering of the mosaic tiles, it is a coating (3M) on the glass rather than different glass which was added. He did do work on the building after the bomb but I think it was more inspecting the building for damage as he says.
I noticed in the last few weeks on about the 10th floor on the west side they have taken away the reflective coating and put on something which looks more tinted, I'll try get a photo next time but I wonder is this a test for future plans?
Attachments
Lib7.jpg
Lib7.jpg (35.82 KiB) Viewed 2324 times
Paddy

Postby Paddy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Apologies for dragging this old thread back from the dead but I just put together a short video from the interview with Desmond Rea O'Kelly that people might be interested in. Its a bit about the Oisín Kelly sculpture 'Two Working Men', I could not fit it into the documentary about the building but I think its a nice story nonetheless and worth being told.

The sculpture was designed and due to go outside Liberty Hall but due to some political interference it ended up outside Cork County Hall where they have since become known as Cha & Miah.

http://vimeo.com/47390197

I did the interview with Desmond in 2006, sadly he died in February 2011.

The documentary about Liberty Hall is also online at: http://vimeo.com/851474
Paddy

Postby thebig C » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks Paddy. Very interesting!
thebig C

Previous

Return to Ireland