Planning Notices

Planning Notices

Postby Dan Sullivan » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:01 am

The Clancy Strand development has been refused by ABP - got the letter yesterday. The website hasn't updated yet but the notice and inspectors report should be there in de course. http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/227368.htm

(I was sure what to do with this. So I put it here, is having one thread that just hold notices of planning applications lodged, approved and rejected a good idea?)
Dan Sullivan

Re: Planning Notices

Postby Griff » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:03 pm

hopefully these proposed apartments will never be built on this site.
Griff

Postby Tuborg » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:00 pm

Dan Sullivan wrote:The Clancy Strand development has been refused by ABP - got the letter yesterday. The website hasn't updated yet but the notice and inspectors report should be there in de course. http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/227368.htm

(I was sure what to do with this. So I put it here, is having one thread that just hold notices of planning applications lodged, approved and rejected a good idea?)

Excellent news! Another well deserved kick up the arse for Limerick City Council, what were they thinking when they approved this? An absolute disgrace!:mad:
Tuborg

Postby CologneMike » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:29 pm

Bord Pleanála rejects €100m development plan (Irish Times)

GORDON DEEGAN

THE MIDWEST economy suffered a setback yesterday with An Bord Pleanála rejecting a planned €100 million redevelopment of the Tinerana estate on the shores of Lough Derg.

The plan by Tinerana Ltd to transform the estate into a tourism resort was to generate 400 jobs through the construction and operation phase of the integrated tourism development.

The Limerick-based company purchased the estate on 270 acres of land on the shores of Lough Derg from former Killaloe doctor Paschal Carmody and his wife, Dr Frieda Keane Carmody in a multi-million euro deal in 2006.

In the plan, the company sought planning permission for the

• refurbishment of Tinerana House;
  • an 18-hole championship golf course,
  • a 32-bed apart-hotel,
  • 155 two-bed holiday homes
  • and an equestrian centre.

The developers claim that the development would have generated €30 million per annum for the regional economy and €8-€10 million per annum for the local economy.

There were no local objections to the plan and it was granted planning permission by Clare County Council last October. However, An Taisce appealed the decision to An Bord Pleanála with its heritage officer Ian Lumley describing the proposal as an “outmoded, exploitative, construction-based, car-based development”.

In a rebuttal, the developers accused An Taisce of “scaremongering” in opposing the development. However, An Bord Pleanála refused planning permission for the proposal after its inspector stated that “the net economic benefit to the county of a grant of permission for such uses on an inappropriate site is negligible”.

The inspector stated that the proposal “would be a large commercial scheme which would provide employment and facilities for tourists.

“However, there is only a finite market for the visitor accommodation and other hotel uses which make up the bulk of the proposal.

“Authorising such uses on one site would render it less commercially attractive to develop them somewhere else.”

The board formally refused permission on two grounds: that the proposal would involve an unacceptably large amount of built development distributed through the landscape, whose scale and character would not be in keeping with the rural location of the site and that the proposal would pose an unacceptable risk of environmental pollution, be prejudicial to public health and to the natural heritage of the area.

A big scalp here Dan for An Taisce. Maybe the developers should have taken a look across the lake for a few “environmental tips” from the eco village concept at Cloughjordan.
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby gunter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:39 pm

Anyone know what stage the planning is at on these houses, 30 & 31 Catherine Street and the other proposal just down fom this that involved demolition of a similar terrace with just facade retention?

Image Image

Great doors, I love the quarter columns :) You get two full doorways out of a single column, how frugal is that?
gunter
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:49 pm

Where the hell is Catherine Street, and where the hell can I buy these houses?!!

(I've just shown my weakness for cutsey Georgians again, haven't I? Better not let on to my Dublin crowd)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:49 pm

gunter wrote:Anyone know what stage the planning is at on these houses, 30 & 31 Catherine Street and the other proposal just down from this that involved demolition of a similar terrace with just facade retention?

I think they are in fact nos. 50 & 51 Catherine Street.

Planning Status: Further Information (15/12/2008)

50 & 51 Catherine Street (08426)

Permission for the development which will consist of the change of use from 2 dwelling to 4 dwellings to 1 office and new basement access and ancillary service spaces in the basement and at the rear of the structures and the cellars and to extend the building by one floor level to provide space for one of the apartment dwellings. The development is within the curtilage of the proposed protected structures.

GrahamH wrote:Where the hell is Catherine Street, and where the hell can I buy these houses?!!

Runs parallel to O’Connell Street and sadly a lot of this type of Georgian stock is disappearing. :(
Attachments
CatherineSt5051.jpg
CatherineSt5051.jpg (57.46 KiB) Viewed 6363 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby gunter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:16 pm

CologneMike wrote:I think they are in fact nos. 50 & 51 Catherine Street.

OK time to go back to Specsavers then!

. . . . does explain why I couldn't find the Planning Ref.

Thanks for the up-date.
gunter
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:27 pm

Thanks for that, ColongeMike. So am I right in gathering that these are currently only proposed Protected Structures?! (then again similar houses on Pearse Street in Dublin have been afforded a similar lack of protection). Does the proposed accommodation span the two houses on each floor? The multiple occupancy seems a bit intense for such modest dwellings.

I'm still laughing at the vision of a stockinged joiner gingerly attempting to carve up a single column into quadrants.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:24 pm

gunter wrote:Anyone know what stage the planning is at on these houses, 30 & 31 Catherine Street and the other proposal just down fom this that involved demolition of a similar terrace with just facade retention?

I remember seeing some form of enforcement notice attached to the fencing last summer, around the time 1 or 2 bricks had come loose!:rolleyes:

On first viewing this appears to be a positive enough refurbishment/conservation job but then of course once you look closer you see that they want to plonk an extra level on top! Unfortunately this nonsense has become increasingly popular in Limerick in recent years!

As for the other proposal you refer to gunter ( 34-41 Catherine Street). A decision is due from An Bord Pleanala by April 30th.

Related Posts [url=“http://www.archiseek.com/content/showpost.php?p=87599&postcount=2182”]2182[/url] [url=“http://www.archiseek.com/content/showpost.php?p=91080&postcount=2284”]2284[/url]
Tuborg

Postby gunter » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:20 pm

Thanks for the update Tuborg.

Image Image

Graham will be fawning over those original basement windows and the fine Limestone string course.

Having said that, I don't know if I'd like to live in that basement apartment! The section suggests that the back is as subterranean as the front.

This pair on Catherine Street look almost untouched, I wonder what the interiors look like? It's a pity if they end up getting carved up at this stage, they would appear to be the perfect scale to be renovated as just good quality city residences, no?

As cute as they are, I have to say they're not as cute as this little number on Little Gerald Griffin Street.

Image Image

A personal sized stone warehouse! You don't see that everyday, and so what if the front leans out a bit, that just means there's more elbow room inside on the upper floors.
gunter
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Estuary Quarter (Howard Holdings)

08464 Permission granted 14/04/2009

Permission for the demolition of existing structures and the development of an 8-storey office building with two no. ground floor retail units (totalling 1234sq.m. gross floor area) at ground floor level. The gross floor area for the offices is 6,367sq.m. The development also incorporates basement car park with 34 no. spaces, plant areas, ESB substation (32sq.m.), service area with separate entrance and ancillary site works

See also posts 2153 1661
Attachments
ET01.jpg
ET01.jpg (54.68 KiB) Viewed 6689 times
ET03.jpg
ET03.jpg (61.54 KiB) Viewed 6331 times
ET02.jpg
ET02.jpg (48.67 KiB) Viewed 6328 times
EQ_Rear.jpg
EQ_Rear.jpg (48.78 KiB) Viewed 6328 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby dave123 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:25 pm

Good feature to the skyline, could they go up 2/3 floors? It wold appear less boxish.
dave123

Postby Tuborg » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:53 am

This one kind of slipped in under the radar a bit!

Substantial further information was requested in the original application but instead the developers withdrew it and decided to submit a fresh application.

While this new office block will replace a vacant, disused site, it will basically be lost amongst the depressing mediocrity that is Richmond Court/Mount Kennet!
Tuborg

Postby Tuborg » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Permission for 1. Change of use from night-club/licensed premises use to use as a Tourist Accomodation Hostel at basement, ground, first, second and third floor levels. 2. Extension to rear at second and third floor levels for tourist accomodation purposes. 3. construction of new roof/attic structure at fourth floor level for tourist accomodation purposed. 4. construction of new shop font at ground floor level including signage and the taking out of 2 no. external staircases to basement.

43, 44, 45 and 46 Cecil Street, Limerick.

Decision Due Date: 10/05/2009
Attachments
0975.jpg
0975.jpg (66.92 KiB) Viewed 6304 times
Tuborg

Postby scitilop » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:53 am

Is this the old The Globe building? Hard to tell from the imagine exactly what the plans are but Limerick could certainly do with a tourist/youth hostel, it's amazing that there's none.
scitilop

Postby Tuborg » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:38 pm

Yeah its the former globe nightclub, I think it used to be a lap dancing club before aswell!;)

There used to be a hostel up on Pery Square, where the new hotel is now. Is the one near Barringtons still going or is that gone aswell?
Tuborg

Postby Tuborg » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:15 am

Demolish the existing premises and build a five storey premises consisting of a retail unit on the ground floor and four floors of offices overhead and associated site works.

19 Henry Street

Refused on 24/04/2009

Below is a brief summary of the reasons given for the refusal;

• Possible overlooking and overshadowing of adjoining properties
  • Lack of quality communal open space
  • A poor design solution likened to a monolithic and fortress like appearance
  • Poor material and finish choices
  • Possible issues arising from collection of waste associated with the proposed development and no proposal submitted to offset this issue
  • Lack of car-parking or proposal to offset this issue
Attachments
19 Henry Street I.jpg
19 Henry Street I.jpg (47.26 KiB) Viewed 6265 times
19 Henry Street II.jpg
19 Henry Street II.jpg (44.45 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
Tuborg

Postby dave123 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:59 am

why was it refused?

Are the council bored?
dave123

Postby Tuborg » Fri May 01, 2009 12:22 am

dave123 wrote:why was it refused?

Are the council bored?

You have a pair of eyes in your head, dont you?

It was refused because its rubbish! The Henry Street frontage in particular is a dis-jointed mess!

We already know you believe any development is good development!:rolleyes: Fortunately the planners have taken a different view this time!

Its quite obvious the site needs to be redeveloped but we can definitely do better than the proposal above!
Tuborg

Postby CologneMike » Fri May 01, 2009 11:23 am

Tuborg wrote:
08210 19 Henry Street Refused on 24/04/2009

Below is a brief summary of the reasons given for the refusal;

• Possible overlooking and overshadowing of adjoining properties

I presume they mean the “Hanging Gardens” here, if so why did they give Butler’s office development the green light or have they security concerns from giving people a good peep into ;) the Garda Station across the road?

• A poor design solution likened to a monolithic and fortress like appearance

Does the planning authority give any guidelines as to how this corner can be developed?

Maybe the developer should tell the city planning authority to get their own public transport routes in order first by forcing the city bus corridors issue!

Below is Butlers development at the former Post Office site, the shaded building to the very right is our failed applicant.
Attachments
hanging_gardens2.jpg
hanging_gardens2.jpg (176.19 KiB) Viewed 6235 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Tue May 05, 2009 11:04 pm

CologneMike wrote:

Maybe the developer should tell the city planning authority to get their own public transport routes in order first by forcing the city bus corridors issue!

I thought that particular statement was pretty ridiculous aswell. The City Council have been banging on for years now about the importance of public transport, yet they cant reach an agreement with their gombeen councillors about the provision of bus lanes in the city.

I got a timely reminder of Limerick political neanderthalism just this evening when a City Councillor called to the house looking for votes. When I asked them what their position was in relation to the proposed green routes, I was told that "it would be VERY unfair to expect residents to give up their parking spaces to accomodate a bus lane!"

I mean can you believe that for a response? What exactly makes these residents think that they can park their cars on a public road anyway?
Tuborg

Postby KeepAnEyeOnBob » Thu May 07, 2009 10:33 am

The design does look pretty awful. Even if having to have a lower part to the building next the Hanging Gardens, one could surely arrange a more interesting looking facade and arrangement of the structure? But I don't quite understand the comment about overshadowing adjacent structures considering the lower height at the corner (in fact I would have thought 3, possibly 4 stories would have still been OK there - just not the full five or more right next the Hanging Gardens).
KeepAnEyeOnBob

Postby CologneMike » Fri May 08, 2009 9:30 pm

7 A/B Catherine Place

Carr Associates Architects / Knocklong Property Developments Ltd

Planning permission is being sought for the elevational changes and associated plan amendments to the proposed development previously approved under P.03/403, including the revised layout of the fourth floor and all associated siteworks. This application includes for the retention of the demolition of the existing stone wall along the rear laneway of Hartstonge Mews and the proposed reconstruction of same using the salvage stone.

Image Image

This seems to be an infill development.

I’ve no problems with a contemporary design appearing here, just not happy the window proportions to those of the neighbouring buildings.

Here an account of No 8 (NIAH)
Attachments
CatherinePlace7.jpg
CatherinePlace7.jpg (74.42 KiB) Viewed 6187 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby dave123 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:21 pm

I agree, the ground and first floor is k, but the upper window proportion are bit too large. IMO. Catherine street seems to be on the renaissance now, as was and is Henry street. This could be Limerick's finest street if they have good upkeep of the existing Georgion and blending the old and new contempary buildings around it.
dave123

Next

Return to Ireland