Jobs for Graduates

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Jobs for Graduates

Postby bitasean » Mon May 04, 2009 9:02 am

We are a young firm of RIAI accredited architects looking to collaborate with graduates who may have a job that they wish to realise. For more information visit http://www.architectsdublin.ie
bitasean

Re: Jobs for Graduates

Postby spoil_sport » Mon May 04, 2009 2:01 pm

Your "what's in it for us" section is a little vague...
I don't mean that to be cynical, but what exactly is the arrangement, ie fees, project credits, P.I. insurance etc?
I think in principal it is a very good idea, but the devil, as always is in the details....
spoil_sport

Postby bitasean » Mon May 04, 2009 2:49 pm

RE: what's in it for us query

We are treating applications on a case by case basis, applicants are more than welcome to drop into our office to discuss possible collaborations. Anyone interested can just fill in the form at http://www.architectsdublin.ie/contact_us_form.htm and we'll get back to them.
bitasean

Postby sw101 » Thu May 07, 2009 2:38 am

bitasean, it would be appropriate to advertise your details and intentions properly on your website. i would be extremely reluctant to approach any company that was not willing to provide contact details, an address, names of the people involved and relevant qualifications and experience. there is no benefit in cloaking your enterprise in an air of mystique, it is merely off-putting.
sw101

Postby missarchi » Thu May 07, 2009 4:55 am

sw101 wrote:bitasean, it would be appropriate to advertise your details and intentions properly on your website. i would be extremely reluctant to approach any company that was not willing to provide contact details, an address, names of the people involved and relevant qualifications and experience. there is no benefit in cloaking your enterprise in an air of mystique, it is merely off-putting.

I don't know I like the air of mystik...
who needs to know needs to know...
What is wrong with no fixed address and there ways and there are ways...
sw101 there are more time zones than 0 GMT

I'm sure all the information will be forthcoming...
You just have to be actually interested its give and take...
Just try and get past the receptionist...

Small micro startups are not cash cows they are basically charities supporting architecture with no funding...
Otherwise they would be mooing until the cows come home...

Aaron Betsky was in town recently and it was 350 euro to go and see him...

With all this talk about bids being received from the biggest names in architecture, I can’t help but think of the statement by Malcolm Reading Consultants regarding the hope that a young practice would, ultimately, triumph. I seem to recall that the comparison used was that of Charles Rennie Mackintosh being only 28 when he won the competition to design the original Glasgow School of Art building. Now, I suspect that there are not too many 28 year olds who were even in a position to satisfactorily complete the Pre-Qualification Questionnaire, let alone be able to successfully compete on this basis. Equally, with regard to the stated potential for forming partnerships with larger firms, particularly under current circumstances, I find it hard to envisage a situation whereby such an individual(s) would achieve much more than a short shrift should they come knocking on the door of any such practice. All too often with competitions, such as the above, there is a statement of desire on the part of the the organisers that young blood will shine. If this is case, why persist in pursuing a structure built around Expressions Of Interest and PQQs? Perhaps an Open Design Contest would have been a fairer means to present this opportunity? I'm sure that if a new Mackintosh emerged victorious, there would be more than enough big players waiting in the wings, in order to assist with the successful delivery of the project. Oh well, I’ll wait with anticipation to see what the judges decide. It certainly promises to be one of most interesting projects for a long while…

missarchi
Old Master

Postby bitasean » Thu May 07, 2009 8:52 am

sw101 wrote:there is no benefit in cloaking your enterprise in an air of mystique, it is merely off-putting.

hmm... not judging by the response we've got so far.

The initiative was promted by stories I heard of architects getting shafted by clients on nixers. This is partly the fault of the client, who thinks that he can get work done for peanuts because the architect in question is out of work and has nothing better to do. But the blame also lies with the architect who may be unaware how long it takes to run a job and how quickly the expenses can add up. So I suppose one goal would be to prevent architects selling themselves (and the profession) short when they go about pricing a job for the first time.

There is no receptionist by the way, just a group of twenty somethings who set up on their own and are looking to expand their workload through collaboration with graduates (or anyone who has a nixer really)
bitasean

Postby sw101 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:33 pm

bitasean wrote:hmm... not judging by the response we've got so far.

The initiative was promted by stories I heard of architects getting shafted by clients on nixers. This is partly the fault of the client, who thinks that he can get work done for peanuts because the architect in question is out of work and has nothing better to do. But the blame also lies with the architect who may be unaware how long it takes to run a job and how quickly the expenses can add up. So I suppose one goal would be to prevent architects selling themselves (and the profession) short when they go about pricing a job for the first time.

There is no receptionist by the way, just a group of twenty somethings who set up on their own and are looking to expand their workload through collaboration with graduates (or anyone who has a nixer really)

i'm not knocking the initiative, i think it's a good idea to pool resources, skills, bargaining power and all the rest. all i am saying is that it is encumbent on any organisation that wants to be taken seriously to be open and honest about its origins, makeup and intentions.

i have no idea what missarchi is on about, but i wish her well.
sw101

Return to World Architecture