Architecture question?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Architecture question?

Postby Stella Richards » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:05 am


It's something you often see in European architecture... along the edges of a piazza in Italy, for example. Instead of a modern open sidewalk that runs between a building and the street, you have a walkway that's covered by the building, but with open archways. The arches can be romanesque or Islamic, depending on the building's style. But the point is that it's open-air while still being enclosed by the building itself.

Does anyone know what this type of area is called?

Thanks in advance.
Stella Richards
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Architecture question?

Postby cajual » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:31 am

Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2001 12:00 am

Re: Architecture question?

Postby ctesiphon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:42 am

User avatar
Old Master
Posts: 1949
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:39 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Architecture question?

Postby noeal11 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:37 am

called as A Portico......
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:06 am

Re: Architecture question?

Postby bitasean » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:56 am

I think the correct term is "the insies-outsies bit"

one of my favourite is beneath the concrete legs of Letterfrack Furniture college in Ireland, the spatial complexity of being within sight of a cosy electrically lit interior, sheltered from the rain while simultaneously exposed to the wind and grey skies is beautiful. For more ramblings of a similar theme, you might be interested in this section from my thesis (but I suspect not)
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:48 am
Location: Dublin

Return to World Architecture