Portfolio

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Portfolio

Postby jimmity » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:32 pm

i recently applied as a matuer student and have recieved a letter asking me to "submit a small portfolio of artwork that you have executed. This should consist of 4 sheets of A4 size, need not be architectural but may include drawing, painting, sculputre, photography, graphics, product design or any other work in visual design."

now im not exactly sure what im supposed to do for this, i have read on other places in this forum to try and stay away from doing all buildings because its too predictable. should i just sketch some ideas of my own or some well known buildings??
are they looking for creative talent or art ability or both??
any help would be greatly appriciated as it needs to be in soon.
thanks
jimmity

Re: Portfolio

Postby experiMental » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:14 pm

The key to architecture is to use as little detail as possible to create an interesting image. You'll be working with bricks, blocks, timber, concrete, lots of right angles and very little freedom to create curved shapes and volumes.

The portfolio reviewers are looking for good composition and variety of themes in your work. In other words, they are looking at your way of putting objects together to make an image. Include photography, which contains some kind of order or relationship between parts of the picture, or try to get everyday life objects an put them together in an interesting way, etc.

Personally, I don't see the point why there is so much emphasis on your portfolio work, when the larger part of architect's work involves communication, knowledge of building practise, organisation and management.
experiMental

Postby DaM » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:44 pm

If your stuck for inspiration my advice is to spend a day around Dublin with a camera aim to take as many photos as possible then spend a day analysing them and trying to narrow them down to a few

You dont have to present your photographs as your portfolio but the process should help formulate your ideas about what one should/could contain.
DaM

Postby acousticer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:44 pm

how would you present photos in a portfolio??
would you do them normal size or.....??
and if a portfolio is supposed to consist of 15pages.....would 1 photo count as 1 sheet?
acousticer

Postby aidan100 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:16 pm

I submitted a portfoleo recently for UUB, they required a maximum of 20 sheets, I submitted A1 sheets of sketches, maybe 4 or 5 sketches to a sheet depending on the size. I had a theme on each sheet such as life drawing (faces, hands etc). It seemed to work OK.
I think the idea of a Portfoleo is to show your existing talents and interests, if you try and come across as having Knowledge in areas wher you have none it generally wont work. Keep it simple and show off your existing talents (if you have any). An Architect mate of mine in his College Entry Portfoleo had a scrap book with photos of buildings he found interesting, not just Headline buildings, it can be a nice railing or Entrance area (or even a nice landscaped area). This showed that he had an interest in Architecture without pretending he was an expert.

In short keep it Simple and Honest!
aidan100

Postby acousticer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:23 pm

thanks........well so far i have:
CAD drawings of an mp3 docking station(from the DCG project)
some life drawing
and other stuff too

i've been working on a building that i designed too and might do an interior drawing of it yet......

and in like the last 2-3 years a new school has been built in my parish and it's actually a pretty cool building......might take a few pictures of that also to submit!

interests??.....music??......i could draw my guitar!!
acousticer

Postby spoil_sport » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:00 am

I never did the DIT interview, (failed the entrance exam miserably but grad from UCD with hons, so don't worry about it, I don't think its so relaible...)
But I would guess that no one will really care about cad drawings, and I wouldn't show any building designs, its raising too many questions; and, no offence, but its probably not very good, that's the point of going to college, its better if you don't presuppose to know something, but rather show that you are interested; which is why the latter two suggestions sound better, maybe try and find out who the architects were, do some background research, and yes a drawing of your guitar might be interesting, but not on cad, maybe an orthagonal drawing of you playing your guitar in your school... You will be talking to full time architects, who see very good and very bad architecture all day, they will welcome the distraction.
Is all this stuff not covered before surely? I don't think I even had the internet when I was going for the exam.
spoil_sport

Postby parka » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:59 am

spoil_sport wrote:, and I wouldn't show any building designs, its raising too many questions; and, no offence, but its probably not very good, that's the point of going to college, its better if you don't presuppose to know something, but rather show that you are interested;

I would disagree, the whole point of wanting to study Architecture is to design a building, going into an interview with a design you created from concept through to sketch drawings shows that you have some interest in the course. Just ensure you show a progression in your drawings and the reason why you drew / designed them in that way, talk about the site etc.
parka

Postby spoil_sport » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:19 pm

Perhaps parka, but I only say that on personal experience, having also thought it would be a good idea to have a few "designs" before going in; but on reflection it was quiet cringe-worthy stuff, and I imagine would have damaged my chances rather than helped, but then maybe that was just me. I always found the DIT entry requirements somewhat of a mystery, as I said, I didn't even cross the first hurdle, but did quiet well (eventually) in UCD, and likewise I know people who were accepted to DIT, but choose UCD and didn't do very well at all, on paper it should be better than just picking people on CAO points, but in reality, I don't think it works very well.
spoil_sport

Postby acousticer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:37 pm

i see where ye both are coming from......but I'm running out of time(20th april) so i may end up submitting my idea anyway.........it's for architecture in Limerick,which gives a wide area on what you can submit.........relating back to my original question though.......how do you present photos.....would you put them on an A3 poster or something??

...the portfolio isn't even for DIT.....not yet anyway......depends whether i passed the test(which i thought was a load of bull....i think i messed up parts of it..:P).......I'm doing the portfolio for architecture in Limerick......incase the DIT option falls through and i don't get enough points for UCD.
(UCD being my first choice.......i was actually on campus last monday....not bad....just a pity the studio isn't closer to main campus......was checking out the new 50 million euro project that's gonna start soon.....a cinema and all......not too shabby:D)

i don't even wanna go to Limerick though.......and you don't even get any points for the portfolio AND you have to do a 500 word essay on the built and unbuilt architecture in your local area,emphasizing that you should do your OWN response and NOT do a historical outline ........like wtf!!......i thought we were going to college to learn about this??
acousticer

Postby spoil_sport » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:47 pm

Print on satin or semi-gloss paper, A4, leave about a half inch white border, mount onto stiff card (mounting board or foam board), best to use spray mount, prit-stick would also do; then trim the white border, this will make sure the edges will not lift, be careful of bubbles. Alternatively, print smaller, between A5 and A4 on an A3 or A2 page, leaving large white border, but A3 and A2 photopaper are expensive.

The greatest virtue of Richview is that it is so far from main campus.
500 words is not an essay, its a glorified paragraph, you don't need to say much. You don't learn "about" this stuff in college, you only learn about other stuff that has been done before; architectural education is about expanding your frame of reference so that you can compare what you see and do, to other things like it, that were prehaps done better, in talking about the "built and unbuilt" architecture, campare it with what you know, it does not have to be "cool, new stuff', in fact its better if its not, but rather someplace you know and enjoy, and why.
spoil_sport

Postby acousticer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:45 pm

thanks for the advice on the photos.....little confused.....but i got the jist of it!:P

i drew my guitar and my amp.....any other suggestions......should i draw something simple like boots/converse,a lamp,my room or should i try do some life drawing..........?

i've searched so many places for answers but they're are all too vague.....it's all "just bring your best work" and so on......
acousticer

Postby spoil_sport » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:36 pm

Architecture lesson no1 young grasshopper: there are no right answers, bring your best work is as specific as it gets.
The questions you are asking are bordering on "please hold my hand", for your own sake now, it would be better if you took some responsibility for what you present, the danger of seeking advice on a forum like this is when the interviewer asks why you did a certain drawing, your only answer is "some guy on a forum suggested I should" . It dosen't matter what you present, but rather why you did it and what you learned from it.
spoil_sport

Postby acousticer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:27 pm

ok i get it,i ask too many questions......I'll take your advice so and draw what i feel is necessary.........from the heart!!:D
there is no interview for Limerick so i won't be meeting with anyone to talk about it anyway!

wish me luck:P

wax on,wax off!lol

(I'll probably be back with a different thread)!:P)
acousticer

Postby acousticer » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:31 pm

actually spoil_sport,just one more thing........what do you usually submit a portfolio of your work in.......like will an A3 folder or whatever do??......or?
acousticer

Postby spoil_sport » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:57 pm

Yes it would do, or you could buy a more robust plastic folder; but personally I would treat it more like a book, again some stiff card (would go for a grey chipboard myself, in this case) for front and back cover, and either bullclip the spine or go to your nearest copy-print bureau and get them to ringbind the edge (metal, not palstic). Alternatively, you could fashion a neet box, perhaps treat it like a shoebox, but obviously custom sized to your pages, and leave your pages loose inside, depends how far you want to go.
spoil_sport

Postby acousticer » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:21 pm

thanks for the quick reply!!:D
acousticer

Postby primitive » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:31 pm

Hey anyone know anything about the advance entry into DIT for architecture.I applied this year hoping to transfer from Dit Mountjoy square but i was just wondering if the same rules apply for all entrys such as the entrance exam and interview because im still waiting to hear from DIT about any of it?
primitive

Return to World Architecture