Dartmouth Square Disgrace

Re: Dartmouth Square Disgrace

Postby hutton » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:50 pm

In other instances where landlords leave tenants in perilous situations where fires may occur, the landlord is prosecuted... What chances that happening to Gobshite O'Gara? :mad:

Residents at Dartmouth Square ready to go into battle over state of park

By Cormac Murphy

Tuesday January 06 2009

BELEAGUERED Dartmouth Square residents have slammed the "appalling" condition of the park following a recent fire.

The residents claim the once-popular square in Ranelagh, D6, now looks more like a rubbish dump.

And they have promised the "gloves will come off" in their battle to restore the park as a public amenity.

A member of the Upper Leeson Street Area Residents Association said the association is angry with Dublin City Council over its handling of the saga.

In an incident just before Christmas, a 50-year-old man was taken to hospital and tents erected in the square were set alight.

Gardai and Dublin Fire Brigade were called to the scene and the assault victim was taken hospital.

"It's really appalling -- I can see this heap of burnt-out tents which have not been removed," the residents committee member said.

"We have written to the city manager and the assistant city manager. The gloves have got to come off," she added.

The fire incident was the latest controversy to hit Dartmouth Square since businessman Noel O'Gara bought the park for less than €10,000 more than three years ago. Mr O'Gara allowed the tents to be erected, claiming a gardener was living in one.

The council took Mr O'Gara to court and he was ordered to remove the tents and pay a fine of €1,000.

However, another tent appeared soon afterwards.

Labour's Oisin Quinn said that, at one stage, at least four people were sleeping in the park.

In June last year, a court ordered that the assets of Mr O'Gara be seized unless he complied with a court order not to make unauthorised use of the square.

Cllr Quinn said the problems with Dartmouth Square stem from the failure of the council to complete a compulsory purchase order.

-- cormac murphy

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/residents-at-dartmouth-square-ready-to-go-into-battle-over-state-of-park-1593318.html
hutton

Postby lostexpectation » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:52 am

did somebody assault the gardener and burn his tents?
lostexpectation

Postby gunter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:30 am

I like O'Gara's 'urban farm idea', that's got to be perfect for Ranelagh!

Rows of cabbages, green beans, a little free range hen pen, what's wrong with that? they could even bus around the kids from the local Multi-Demination School and see if any of them can count up to twenty!
gunter
Old Master

Postby wearnicehats » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:14 am

gunter wrote:I like O'Gara's 'urban farm idea', that's got to be perfect for Ranelagh!

Rows of cabbages, green beans, a little free range hen pen, what's wrong with that? they could even bus around the kids from the local Multi-Demination School and see if any of them can count up to twenty!

I'd say their spelling would be better than yours anyway!

I like it too - I'd still take a plot
wearnicehats

Postby gunter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Ok, Multi-Denomination,

I can't rush . . and . . . work through my issues, at the same time!
gunter
Old Master

Postby hutton » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:21 pm

lostexpectation wrote:did somebody assault the gardener and burn his tents?

Gardener, what gardener :confused:

This is part of the problem see - no gardener with the place rapidly deteriorating...

gunter wrote:I like O'Gara's 'urban farm idea', that's got to be perfect for Ranelagh!

wearnicehats wrote:I like it too - I'd still take a plot

Hey have you guys lost the, eh, plot?

This is all sounding suspiciously very like the Khmer Rouge to me... Oh well, at least the landlord can be first for "re-education" :D
hutton

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:09 pm

Please desist from calling O'Gara names - I've banned him from here, life is too short to deal with him - I just found this in my junk folder

You have lost any credibility you might have had as a planning professional because first you invited me to contribute and then you prevented me from answering my critics.
You have treated them like children who need protection and you only prove that the laws you seek to uphold are incapable of being justified.
You are a disgrace to the men and women who read your web site forums and any other material you have published or moderate over.
you are so inept that you cannot even reply to my email and justify why you have banned me from the website archiseek.com. I will of course have to inform the readers that you banned me and lets hope the website doesnt lose its influence but it will always be known as a site that cannot deal with criticism except by banning members who disagree with Paul Clerkin.

You have now shown that you have no substance paul and you are unfit to run any public forum.

and this

Paul, please inform the forum that you have taken it upon yourself to bar me from the forum otherwise all the scurrilous remarks posted about me might be regarded as libellous. I have a right to reply to smears posted on your publication and if not then it is obvious that you are orchestrating a smear campaign against me. That represents deliberate damage to me by you. Noel

So lets just leave him alone with his jack the ripper theories.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby hutton » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:12 am

Lollers

Hilarious stuff altogether. That's given me with a good laugh as I head off to bed.

I for one wholly agree to comply with refraining calling ******* a $%^&**% or a @£$%^£$$@^ or even a &^$£%^&...

Clicky linky http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj7zi9Tp5s4 for more :D
hutton

Postby publicrealm » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:15 pm

Paul Clerkin wrote:Please desist from calling O'Gara names - I've banned him from here, life is too short to deal with him - I just found this in my junk folder

and this

So lets just leave him alone with his jack the ripper theories.

Hmm..

I think it a pity that dissenting voices should be censored (perhaps there is some legal reason that I would not be aware of - but otherwise a pity).

I confess I haven't read all of Mr O'Gara's posts, but I admired his courage in posting in so obviously hostile an environment. His tactics may have been unwise - but equally I consider it is unreasonable to expect him to continue to provide a public park with all the associated costs when it was open to DCC to purchase?

I think more frequent post by developers might be interesting and we might all benefit from a reasoned exchange of views (I have certainlyl earned a lot from people with no Degrees).
publicrealm

Postby the hawk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:18 pm

noelogara wrote:
wearnicehats wrote:
I would consider giving you a plot next year. You would have to give me a share of your veg in lieu of rent if that is ok with you.
anybody out there interested in setting up a farmers weekend market?
I need a live wire who could organise that and make a decent commission into the bargain. 100 stall holders at a score a weekent wouldnt be bad for a start. Because its agricultural there is no planning needed.. Section 4 of the Act.

Noel, here is one to get the experts scrathcing their heads. Below you will find an extract from our planning regulations which allows anyone with land to build a 40ft structure described as a lighthouse ( which by definition allows for the accomadation of a keeper). All one needs to do is to show that you that your lighthouse is an aid to navigation, but does not stipulate how or to who this aid is to benifet.
PS. you dont need Duffy's to supply the circus, the best circus in town (complete with the clowns) is already well underway!

CLASS 39

The erection, placing or keeping on land of any lighthouse, beacon, buoy or other aid to navigation on water or in the air.
Any such lighthouse, beacon, buoy or other navigational aid shall not exceed 40 metres in height
the hawk

Postby hutton » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:48 pm

the hawk wrote:
noelogara wrote:
Noel, here is one to get the experts scrathcing their heads. Below you will find an extract from our planning regulations which allows anyone with land to build a 40ft structure described as a lighthouse ( which by definition allows for the accomadation of a keeper). All one needs to do is to show that you that your lighthouse is an aid to navigation, but does not stipulate how or to who this aid is to benifet.
PS. you dont need Duffy's to supply the circus, the best circus in town (complete with the clowns) is already well underway!

CLASS 39

The erection, placing or keeping on land of any lighthouse, beacon, buoy or other aid to navigation on water or in the air.
Any such lighthouse, beacon, buoy or other navigational aid shall not exceed 40 metres in height

Eh I think that you'll find were that one tried, it would die a quick death by judicial review amongst other instruments.

However

Had the supposed owner gone about this in a different way, he may have found a better outcome.

Had I been in his shoes, I have read that the zoning allows for a care-takers lodge. Hence after one got some degree of title (for a song), the application for the keepers lodge could have been applied for - and while making a killing out of that, one could have been the bigger person by presenting the rest of the square for public ownership free of charge...

Instead of which, the individual claiming title tried to greedily get €60m out of the council? Like that was ever going to happen.

For some reason I don't think the individual claiming ownership would now be likely to get either the lodge or the light house. Boo-hoo.

What's happened here epitomized in my opinion all of the worst attributes and values of the so-called celtic tiger - looking to turn a hugely unrealistic buck quickly, while knowingly depriving society out of an amenity.

Any more bright ideas, Hawk?
hutton

Postby the hawk » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:40 am

hutton, the tongue was firmly in my cheek when i posted the comment, but still i am not sure what there would be to judicialy review as the provision is exempted development and would not be the result of any decision. yes i do have some other bright ideas, like restarting the cpo process, or making a reasonable offer to Mr O'Gara. it would certainly be more productive than your negative comment which only serves to preserve the status quo.As far as your park keepers lodge suggestion, It would surely be dishonest to apply for permission for a park keepers lodge, and once planning was granted to then dispose of the park! I wonder if a piggery would be exempt.......
the hawk

Postby phil » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:14 pm

publicrealm wrote:Hmm..

I think it a pity that dissenting voices should be censored (perhaps there is some legal reason that I would not be aware of - but otherwise a pity).

I too thought this a pity. However, I respect the decisions that Paul makes about the site.
phil
Old Master

Postby Frank Taylor » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:25 am

A city farm is a good idea. There are plenty in london. Kids pay a few quid to come in and see the animals.

http://www.london.gov.uk/young-london/kids/things-to-do/farm.jsp
Frank Taylor

Postby Pot Noodle » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:21 pm

Frank Taylor wrote:A city farm is a good idea. There are plenty in london. Kids pay a few quid to come in and see the animals.

Allotments
Pot Noodle

Postby the hawk » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:30 am

Frank Taylor wrote:A city farm is a good idea. There are plenty in london. Kids pay a few quid to come in and see the animals.

yes I agree, keep the tents!
the hawk

Postby wearnicehats » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:09 am

:eek: what did Pat Kenny say to him??
Attachments
2009 04 06 089.jpg
2009 04 06 089.jpg (60.21 KiB) Viewed 6165 times
2009 04 06 088.jpg
2009 04 06 088.jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 6163 times
wearnicehats

Postby wearnicehats » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:32 am

PUBLIC NOTICE

This park will reopen soon as an amenity to the area

Look forward to seeing you

I'm packing the picnic basket
Attachments
2009 04 06.jpg
2009 04 06.jpg (70.83 KiB) Viewed 6141 times
wearnicehats

Postby PVC King » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:51 pm

One wonders has he cut a deal with the locals to give them a key to use the park as a private park; it is good to see some form of normality return so cynicism is rightfullly suspended on my part until he shows his hand.
PVC King

Postby wearnicehats » Tue May 12, 2009 12:03 pm

The park appears to be one lorry load short of restored now - no further notice of a reopening date however

One curious thing is that, everytime I've passed, the clearing away seems to be being done by Dublin City Council heads (?)
wearnicehats

Postby hutton » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:56 pm

*Trying to avoid partaking in Schadenfreude*

O'Gara says he foresaw the recession, but now a crisis looms for his own business

Friday May 29 2009

DUBLIN South candidate Noel O'Gara (right), who claims he predicted the country's economic collapse, is facing his own financial difficulties.

The businessman has been mired in controversy since his purchase of Ranelagh's Dartmouth Square in 2005.

Now, Dublin City Council has issued Mr O'Gara with a statutory notice to pay a €37,700 legal bill arising from court actions over the park.

The Independent candidate, who is vying with Fine Gael's George Lee in the leafy suburbs, must pay the tab within 21 days or face having his company Marble and Granite Tiles wound up.

bankruptcy

Mr O'Gara has claimed he foresaw Ireland's looming financial crisis in 2007 when he ran in the general election in four constituencies.

"I warned the people two years ago that this country was heading for bankruptcy," he said.

When asked would he be taken seriously having run for election in so many different areas, Mr O'Gara said: "I think Irish people are intelligent people and I'm appealing to the intelligent people -- I know there's a lot of idiots out there and a lot of control freaks -- but I believe that Irish people want to be independent people and they're the people I'm addressing."

Mr O'Gara has been given a deadline of June 5 -- the day of the byelection -- to settle the legal bill.

Labour councillor Oisin Quinn said the council should not let up. "If he does not pay within the deadline, the council should not hesitate to wind up his company and liquidate his assets," Mr Quinn added.

Council bosses have clashed with the Athlone businessman since he bought Dartmouth Square for a paltry €10,000 four years ago. Up to then, the square was maintained by the council as a public amenity.

caravans

The businessman was forced by a Circuit Court order to remove three caravans from the park in 2007.

Mr O'Gara had been restrained from using the park for the advertising, sale or display of tiles.

In February last year, city councillors scored a major victory by declaring the land an Architectural Conservation Area (ACA).

This effectively blocked any future attempt by Mr O'Gara to turn the Victorian square into a car park.

comurphy@herald.ie

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/ogara-says-he-foresaw-the-recession-but-now-a-crisis-looms-for-his-own-business-1755298.html
hutton

Postby Rory W » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:15 pm

From the times today 10/6/09

Dartmouth park to reopen after deal reached with owner
A PARK near Rathmines in Dublin which has been closed for over two years is to reopen its gates to the community after an agreement was reached between a local resident and its owner.

Dartmouth Square resident Peter O’Brien negotiated a deal, which runs to the end of this year, with Athlone businessman and owner of Dartmouth Square park Noel O’Gara to maintain and run the park as an amenity for the locality.

Mr O’Gara bought the park in 2005 for about €10,000 from PJ Darley, whose ancestors built the square in the 1880s. Since then, it has been a source of controversy.

In 2006 it was closed to the public and Mr O’Gara subsequently attempted to set up a tile showroom on the site, and to turn the square into an affordable car park.

An Bord Pleanála approved for Dublin City Council a compulsory purchase order for the land in 2006, but this lapsed last June as the council feared it might have to pay a “substantial and financially prohibitive award” to Mr O’Gara.

Mr O’Brien said the agreement came following a discussion with Mr O’Gara, who was open to “innovative” ideas that made good use of the amenity.

Mr O’Brien said he and other residents hoped the park would host activities for those living in the area, and that he had a contract with Mr O’Gara to do so until the end of the year.

“It’s going to be an experiment to see if we can open a park to the community and have it run by the community for the community.”

He said the park would be open to the public daily, and that events such as children’s football tournaments, barbecues, plays and concerts were likely to take place in coming months.

This afternoon, locals and actors, artists and musicians, including David Kitt and Damien Rice, will gather to mark the reopening of the park. Mr O’Gara said he hoped the development would lead to artistic and entertaining events taking place in the square.

“My long-term aim is to turn it into a car park that would offer the people of Dublin a secure place to leave their cars for €5 a day while they go about their business.”

Labour councillor Oisín Quinn said the park should be brought under city council control.
Rory W
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Dartmouth Square saga to end in coming weeks
By Claire Murphy

Thursday January 14 2010

The future ownership of Dartmouth Square is close to resolution and the park is due to be placed on the market for sale.

A liquidator has been appointed to sell the Georgian Square which shot to notoriety when businessman Noel O'Gara purchased it for about €10,000.

It was expected that Mr O'Gara, owner of Marble and Granite Tiles Ltd, would appeal against his winding-up order, but the time for this has expired.

"That now means there is no reversal of the liquidation," said Labour councillor Oisin Quinn.

Mr O'Gara drew controversy after he attempted to establish a series of business ventures on the south Dublin park including a car park and a tile showroom.

Previous caretaker Dublin City Council won a court application last October to wind up Marble and Granite Tiles.

The next move will be for the liquidator to put the square up for sale as a matter of protocol and in order to find the best price.

The proceeds from the sale will pay creditors, Dublin City Council, who are owed €43,000 in lieu of legal fees.

"Jim Hamilton has been appointed liquidator to wind up the company and dispose of the assets, Dartmouth Square," he added.

"He will put the square on the market to get the best price that he can."

But it is likely that the council will put in an offer for the property in a move that will technically wipe out debts owed to Dublin City Council.

"We as councillors have asked the manager to ensure that Dublin City Council will acquire the square," Cllr Quinn explained.

"The planning potential has been completely removed. There is no value other than a public square.

"It's hopefully the end to a complicated chess game," he said. "To be honest the only chess move left is sliding the queen into position."

Despite losing control of the land over four years, the exercise would have proved to be virtually "cost neutral" for the local authority, explained Cllr Quinn.

And the liquidator has said that he hopes that the situation will be concluded within a relatively short period of time.

This final move will usher in a new era of access for residents who have, along with volunteers, cleared the park of dead branches and soil to restore it to its former glory.

Over the summer, Dartmouth Square held yoga classes, poetry readings, film showings and concerts as the park was run as an amenity for locals.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/dartmouth-square-saga--to-end-in-coming-weeks-2013547.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:32 pm

Just wondering what happened in the end.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:26 pm

Funny I asked that question myself the other day. What happened to Noel O'Gara, saviour of our Constitution
StephenC
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Irish Planning Matters