Attachments
south_markets.jpg
south_markets.jpg (194.06 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: South Great George's Street

Postby kefu » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:01 pm

Would have been equally magnificent.
What's the church in the left-hand portion of the picture? Seems too close to be the tourist office??
kefu

Postby GrahamH » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:17 pm

It would appear to be it, just moved to the other side of the street for scenic effect?

Funny how similar the above design for the South City Markets is to the chosen one. Suppose there's only so many ways one can design a heaving Victorian behemoth :)
I can see why we got what we did though - who'd choose that leaden yoke over our pinnacled fairytale castle. The chimneys in particular are very weak, and the corner pavilions rather stumpy.

The entire facade is now being cleaned by degrees, presumably by owners/tenants. Dunnes currently have scaffolding up right across their portion. It should be due down shortly actually.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Sarsfield » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:28 pm

There hasn't been any mention of the corner of Lwr. Stephen St for a while. Any action due soon on this building? Is the proposal below what was approved (planning app 5827/05 )? I thought Jaipur restaurant might be staying.

http://www.mdo.ie/project.php?number=64&owner=29
Sarsfield

Postby Rory W » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:35 pm

No Jaipur is closing or could even be closed at this stage to allow work to start on this
Rory W
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:47 pm

That is the development's more flattering form post-alteration. The original concept was truly hideous.

Such unmitigated arrogance. As for the infill to the side...

At least DCC requested that a fifth floor be omitted (even the throwaway design of it indicated they were just trying it on), and the 'pavilion' fourth storey be set back by 1.8 metres and continued over the infill block (in itself replacing a three storey 19th century building).

The revised proposal's sun screen is still too clunky, and the storey needs to be set back more still.

I'm still not pushed on these top-up storeys, but the linear nature of this building can certainly take it better than its Thomas Street colleague.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:05 am

Anyone look inside the windows of the refurbished buildings beside the Long Hall?
Some nice old tilework in both units
Attachments
gst2.jpg
gst2.jpg (59.4 KiB) Viewed 7811 times
gst1.jpg
gst1.jpg (38.54 KiB) Viewed 7810 times
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby johnglas » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:37 am

Paul, well spotted! Can we not have an outbreak of fashion for tiled (glazed brick?) walls in shops again? And any colour except beige. Any pics of these shops in context?
johnglas

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:36 am

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby johnglas » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:19 pm

Right on the button; thanks again. What do you think of the shopfronts? Good compromise? And right next to The Long Hall (Aaaaagh... Must get back to Dublin!)
johnglas

Postby PVC King » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:20 pm

Paul Clerkin wrote:Anyone look inside the windows of the refurbished buildings beside the Long Hall?
Some nice old tilework in both units

Nothing like Edwardian tiling to add another few grand to the rent roll and get the change of use to cafe from retail. Keoghs on Trinity St should take it

Who would give JLL a retail instruction?

Well it is empty
PVC King

Postby Conorworld » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:34 pm

South Great Georges Street, even in its still slightly shoddy state is probably my favourite street in Dublin. It has such a nice diversification of shops, pubs and restaurants and has a wonderful faded grandeur. It has so much potential for today as well. One thing I miss is the Oil and Vinegar store. That was great. The street could do so well with more stores like that.
Aungier street is such a dive though. It is kind of hilarious. From The Capitol bar to the hostel it is dark and depressing, somewhere you walk quickly heading to the fun of Wexford street. Do you notice the amount of drnken/drugged people who always seem to inhabit this area. It is kind of funny and a personification of what the street is like now.
Does anyone know what happened to the Oil and Vinegar store?
Conorworld

Postby Andrew Duffy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:19 pm

The Oil and Vinegar store shut down because it is impossible to make money from such a venture. There was a notice in the window during its closing down sale thanking the few people who actualy ever bought anyhting there.
I don't understand how the thousands of pharmacies like the one that replaced it make any money.
Andrew Duffy

Postby johnglas » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:57 pm

Had the O+V store been in the South City Markets or in the Iveagh Markets (is that project actually going anywhere?) it probably would have survived, but it's prob too much of a gamble as a stand-alone.
johnglas

Postby Conorworld » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:01 pm

I suppose the rent was pretty high. Yeah is the Iveagh markets going ahead? I love the Liberties and that would be something great in the area.
Conorworld

Postby Sarsfield » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:20 pm

Conorworld wrote:I suppose the rent was pretty high. Yeah is the Iveagh markets going ahead? I love the Liberties and that would be something great in the area.

Was walking up Francis St yesterday as two English tourists passed in the other direction. Heard them note with disgust the state of the Iveagh Markets and say how it would make a lovely little version of Covent Garden! It ain't rocket science, is it? And it's right on the tourist trail already.

On topic, I love those shopfronts. And Jaipur was still open last time I noticed it a couple of weeks ago.
Sarsfield

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:06 pm

A design by Lockwood & Mawson for Bradford Town Hall shows some interesting detail very reminiscent of the South City Markets

http://uk.archiseek.com/england/victoriana/yorkshire/0032.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:21 pm

4/4/2009

A large expanse of the northern wing of the South City Markets was cleaned at the end of 2008 by Dunnes Stores, adding to other sections on Exchquer Street which have already been treated to date. The warm brick looks magnificent in the sun.

As can be seen, the southern wing has yet to be cleaned.

The discernable contrast.

A comparison between the north and south wings.

The stripping of redundant clutter also helps considerably in improving the building's appearance.

Windows.

Greater enforcement of shopfront design guidelines is critical. This recent horrendous fascia mounted on a unit in the unified series of Victorian shopfronts is one of the worst in the entire city. What a shame. So unnecessary.

A delightful complex. Truly one of the great sights of the city.

GrahamH
Old Master

Postby jdivision » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:51 pm

Andrew Duffy wrote:I don't understand how the thousands of pharmacies like the one that replaced it make any money.

Accoring to one of the biggest pharmacists in Ireland, it is one of the few countries that don't print out prescriptions. So most are hand written. you can imagine what happens after that.
jdivision

Postby exene1 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:28 pm

A suggested redevelopment of the building at the corner of Golden Lane and Ship Street in the style that came to be known as "scott tallon walker shite". No planning, it just appeared in the paper in the late boom years. Not that it would happen now, but completely unsustainable as the existing building was only built a decade or so ago and respects the Dublin Castle buildings opposite. I remember being in the pub that was demolished for it in the late '90s - the Old Chinaman. Was a rocker bar in its final years. Deco of Paranoid Visions drank there.
exene1

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:50 pm

God, I remember the Old Chinaman. I think it was known for the cheapest pint in Dublin at one stage.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby bigjoe » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:12 pm

remember a lot of the drinks in the old china man been served by the can. dog rough pub. not a popular choice for a first date. only made that mistake twice. :)
bigjoe

Postby exene1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:55 pm

Ok a few of us remember the Old Chinaman, which I recall was a 1970s building.

But does anyone remember a PREVIOUS version of it in a Georgian bdg, apparently just called 'The Chinaman'? I'm seeing some pictures of it here in the DCC Libraries site:

http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/im ... ollections
exene1

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:15 pm

Unrecogniseable streetscape.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:48 pm

A great shot. Since it was published a few months ago, for the life of me I couldn't get the view to line up with the Stephen Street triangle - forgetting it was taken at a skewed angle - so I started to look elsewhere in the city. How dumb.

A beautiful pair of early Georgian houses with a massive central chimneystack in the middle there. I imagine they're a charming cumbersome set of transitional style houses, similar to a pair still standing around the corner on Aungier Street featuring a lateral shared roof, rather than being former Billys, but saying that the ground floor heights are very low - either suggesting antiquity or plain old-fashionedness. What an array of shopfronts and a lovely use of paint colours across the board, including windows. A lost art.

The rendered side elevation with Georgian sashes of The Chinaman would remind you of Cummins and Sons - Plumbing and Paints of Lower Abbey Street fame.
GrahamH
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland