Metro stations of the world

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Re: Metro stations of the world

Postby lostexpectation » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:38 am

lostexpectation

Postby missarchi » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:14 am

missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:20 am

missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:57 am

new money

Line 3, APL. West extension, October 2009

Volokolamskaya

from metroworld.ruz.net

http://www.youtube.com/v/AJn4LMPDtUo&hl=ru&fs=1
70 meg movie
http://www.mirmetro.net/video/volok%5Bmirmetro.net%5D.avi

Butovskaya Line (L1) northern extension, 2013

Two stations, 92 meters long. Situated on south of Moscow.

Lesoparkovaya

Bitsevsky Park change the tiles!!!

old money

http://russos.without.ru/img/metro/electr/electr-71.jpg
http://russos.without.ru/img/metro/electr/electr-67.jpg
missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:47 am

this thing has character ;)
missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:07 am

serial budapest u/c atm with some of the gremlins are tiles back on the way in?
can any one spot bush on one of the elevators and rest of the white house...
this is an official web site first person wins a cupola...

missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:08 am

where is he?

missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:10 am

Iranian tiled roofs rock

missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:34 pm

mister wide angle anything less and he needs new lenses...

missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Mon May 11, 2009 9:37 am

Anthrax can lie dormant in spore form for centuries, but if disturbed it can spread through the air. When the Metropolitan Line was dug in the mid 19th century anthrax spores were released, killing several people. The bacteria that causes bubonic plague may also survive, and dealing with ancient remains is an occupational hazard for projects in the City.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=426&storycode=3140139&channel=783&c=1&encCode=0000000001978093
missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Wed May 13, 2009 1:15 pm

a bit of a tease in iran...

allah

bad artists in naples...

borderline/risk of failing...

say no to bad bolt on art...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Fri May 22, 2009 2:32 am

more circlework

missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Wed May 27, 2009 11:02 am

Sincity

Station feasibility design
Station interior

missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Wed May 27, 2009 11:27 am

the odds of having a concert in a metro station that has not been finished quite high what a way to end your career?

missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:36 am

missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:49 am

Attachments
spanthis.jpg
spanthis.jpg (18.14 KiB) Viewed 5605 times
spanthis2.jpg
spanthis2.jpg (16.47 KiB) Viewed 5605 times
missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:14 pm

fly in a metro train from europe to dehli? <> light rail? roll out the red carpet?

missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:40 pm

missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:38 am

Anger as Crossrail chief questions value of design

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3143546

Don’t let them nail Crossrail

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=427&storycode=3143542&channel=783&c=2&encCode=00000000019c245b

Jubilee Line Extension was not high on a world scale...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:07 pm

The "Pez de Cristal" - or "Glass Fish" - will be inaugurated as the new landmark in Madrid's Puerta del Sol on Saturday, 27 June 2009 at 11am and will be presided over by the President of the Comunidad de Madrid, Esperanza Aguirre & Spain's President José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero. The first day of normal operation will be Sunday, 28 June 2009 at 5:15am. The controversial structure, in the rounded shape of a fish, was likened by Esperanza Aguirre herself (the Regional President of Madrid) as what the glass pyramid is to Paris' The Louvre Museum. Well, I don't know about all that but it does have 'glass' and 'controversy' in common at the very least.

Just what is the "Pez de Cristal" and why do we need it? This is a good question, one many of us will be trying to answer for at least 5 years in the future (if the fish lasts that long). The Glass Fish is the entry/exit to the new Cercanías-train hub, the only one now in Old Downtown Madrid, allowing natural light into the belly of the enormous space below ground. This station will also connect cercanías lines between Chamartin and Atocha train stations, completing the infamous"Túnel de la risa", and carrying passengers directly to Kilometro 0 without taking metro or buses as was before necessary.

The new station will also connect metro lines 1, 2, and 3 with cercanias lines - but I have to wonder if the old, historical Puerta del Sol metro station entry points will now be removed. Surely not. Apparently, the below ground space is large enough to house a 60-story building horizontally, making it the largest below-ground man-made cavern in the world. Also, some of the remains of the Buen Suceso Church, unearthed during the excavation, will be on display. Their discovery, in large part, delayed the station's construction due to their careful study and examination.

Many people in the blogosphere think the comparison of the Glass Fish with the Glass Pyramid of Paris' The Louvre is far fetched. They are both glass, that's true. They both are comprised of attached glass panels, allowing natural light into the space below ground. Many other bloggers also think the introduction of a super-modern structure into the historical Puerta del Sol is a mistake. Still others believe the fish will be covered in graffiti and the panels scratched and marred within days. This IS likely to happen.

It's always nice to have something which adds to the skyline or structures which give people the impression that something "new" is going on, staving off that old, hum-drum, complacent, boring aspect which many historical cities eventually face - and it's true that Madrid has very little of that going on as compared to (dare I?!?) Barcelona. Personally, I think a better choice could've been made. I commend their goals, however.

I'm anxious for the inauguration of this new station on Saturday, to take a first look for myself, which will seemingly end (?) nearly 5-years of construction on Madrid's Puerta del Sol. Its inauguration will be the headline and lead news story for Madrid (and many Spanish) news media outlets this week.

Today, on its first day of operation, I made my maiden-visit to the brand-new Cercanías station in Madrid's Puerta del Sol. The controversial entryway is in the shape, it is said, of a "Glass Fish" or "Pez de Cristal", and does pose a striking structure in the otherwise traditional space of the plaza.

Thousands of people were onhand today, probably not so many to actually ride the cercanias train as they were taking photos and walking about to see their new landmark. Countless media outlets were stringing cable, conducting on-camera interviews, and recording the event for their own television stations.

One could go down the escalators as far as the common area but all the good stuff, it seemed, was on the other side of the electronic turnstiles - so I didn't go in. From the public area I could see the brand new LED screens, shiny automated ticket machines, and, from a distance, the behind-glass-remains of the Iglesia del Buen Suceso on the other side and down one level from the ticket turnstiles. There's surprisingly little to see in the common area and so to appreciate "The World's Largest ManMade Underground Cavern" one must buy a ticket and pass through.

Everything was clean, new, and wonderfully modern. I have to wonder how long the exterior will be free of graffiti, though.

Alot had been said about this completing nearly 5 or 6 years of construction on the Puerta del Sol - but that wasn't evident today where possibly only 15% of the entire place was open to pedestrians. The other 85% was closed off by barricades and fenses, construction materials and machinery scattered about. I, like a lot of people, I'm sure, expected to not only find a new cercanias station but also a completed Puerta del Sol free of construction. That was a disappointment.

It seems, at least at first look, that most of which remains is the placement of paving stones but some barricaded areas lead one to believe that some work is yet to be done in Kilometro 0. We'll wait and see but once it's done, we'll all be happy.

http://www.madridman.com/blog-madrid/

what a thoughtless station architecturally but engineering wise amazing well worth watching how large a cave they can make like ants...
This cave is below buildings it seems! insane...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtKm9cRp3b0&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.madridman.com%2Fforum%2Fubbthreads.php%3Fubb%3Dshowflat%26Number%3D84693&feature=player_embedded
missarchi
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to World Architecture