Edge's plans for new Gaf in Malibu

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Edge's plans for new Gaf in Malibu

Postby lostexpectation » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:46 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1165577/Strife-Edge-U2-guitarist-condemned-30m-home-branded-green-disaster.html

Strife on the Edge: U2 guitarist condemned for £30m home branded a green disaster

The four-bedroom mansion named Leaves in the Wind, seen as an architectural model obtained by The Mail on Sunday, is expected to take up to five years to complete.

It will have spectacular views, perched above the Pacific Ocean in exclusive Malibu, California. The Edge has called it ‘my dream home’.

But neighbour Jim Smith, 59, said: ‘This is hypocritical to the core for a man who has spent his career preaching environmental issues.

‘The impact on the flora and fauna will be huge. This area is a haven for wildlife but once you get the diggers and excavators in, the pristine landscape will be ruined for ever.

The Edge, 47, born David Evans in Barking, East London, bought the 170-acre plot in an area called Serra Retreat for £10million in 2006.

The main bone of contention for locals is not the dramatic single-storey house, with a vast S-shaped swimming pool, but the musician’s plans to build a further four houses on the land – out of sight of his home – and sell them for up to £10million each.
lostexpectation

Re: Edge's plans for new Gaf in Malibu

Postby sw101 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:04 pm

i've never heard the edge preach about anything. i like the way the only people complaining about the impact on local flora and fauna are people living there already.

"The four-bedroom mansion"
mansion? 4 bedrooms? really?

"The area is one of the most expensive in California and neighbours include Mel Gibson, Kelsey Grammer and Titanic director James Cameron."
"Residents also fear star-spotting tourists will invade the area."
no comment

"‘He is obviously trying to make a profit but it’s not as if he needs the money, is it? It is an overly ostentatious and self-serving development.’"
wealthy businessman trying to make money. how DARE he.
sw101

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon May 09, 2011 3:46 pm

U2's The Edge finds conservancy's price
By Steve Lopez

May 8, 2011

Let's have yet another round of applause for the fabulous, long-running Malibu morality play starring the eco-conscious U2 guitarist and international humanitarian who calls himself The Edge. After five years, it just keeps getting better.

In the latest act, The Edge's considerable entourage of lawyers, lobbyists, flacks and assorted rabble have struck a sweet deal with the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy that has the locals in a dither.

In 2009, the conservancy acted as a noble steward of the public interest when it slammed the colony that The Edge and his associates want to build atop a prominent undeveloped ridgeline near Malibu. The conservancy took the position that, no matter how "green" five houses with access roads might be, such a huge project would have "unavoidable significant adverse visual and ecological impacts."

But two weeks ago, in a move that reminds us everything is for sale, the conservancy back-pedaled, voting to adopt a position of neutrality on the proposal.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 907.column
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby PurpleStones » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:05 pm

sw101 wrote:i've never heard the edge preach about anything. i like the way the only people complaining about the impact on local flora and fauna are people living there already.
I've always wondered about that actually. quite contradictory if you ask me! :eh:
PurpleStones

Return to World Architecture