cork docklands

Re: cork docklands

Postby lawyer » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:10 pm

'SHOWGROUNDS/MONAGHAN'S ROAD ACCQUISITION ORDER NO. 1 OF 2006'
Form of notice of entry for compulsory puirchase order under section 76 of and the third schedule of the housing act 1966.

I hope this means more to you than it does to me.
Page 36 of yesterdays Irish 'Examiner'
lawyer

Postby bosco » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:52 pm

SoundsDreamy wrote:What kind of notice as I thought the CPO had been passed.
Has MAS even begun looking for another site? I'm sure Howard Holding would gladly part with old Cork City grounds in Bishopstown.

Piece in the echo during the week mentioned plans to develop this site (old FAI pitch) with student apartments, some commercial (bank, shop) and business ('science & technology'). Up to 4 stories. CSD spokesman said they'll fight it of course.
bosco

Postby Angry Rebel » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:35 pm

It's McCarthy Developments that own the old Cork City ground. They recently applied for PP for a mixed use scheme.
Angry Rebel

Postby Pug » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:51 pm

Origin have applied to demolish and clear the materials from 2 sites, the Buhler Grain silo and the Simon & Mouchel grain silos at sites bordered by Kennedy Quay, Marina Walk and Mill Lane - not sure which silos they are but presume they are the silos other than the R&H Hall one, for which Origin were requested for Further Information re their application for that site last year.
Pug

Postby Pug » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:46 pm

North Docklands

I was wondering does anyone have any info on CIE and their continued inexplicable delay in sorting out Kent station? This was due to be turned round to face the quays and redeveloped years ago. They were to do a deal with Manor Park Homes for that site, Manor Park Homes subsequently was sold off and CIE were to create a Masterplan for the site (having applied for the site twice and been refused twice, having been asked to prepare? yes, you've guessed it, a Masterplan).

Anyone heard any more about it?
Pug

Postby sovereign12 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:04 pm

Not gonna happen any time soon I'm afraid the money ain't there. The only plan on the cards at the moment for Kent station is simply to extend platform 4 down further so after the curve the trains will stop on a straight. As for turning the station around, well another life time perhaps but for the inside information I have those plans are seriously on the long finger.
sovereign12

Postby Pug » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:45 pm

absolute complete and utter joke. Remember, 21m was earmarked for that and Martin Cullen reduced it to 4m for the lick of paint and minor refurb. Joke.
Pug

Postby sovereign12 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:22 pm

all the limited money they had was put towards the kildare route project which now is only extending out 10miles from heuston to hazelhatch. Remember CIE are just another one of the Governments whipping boys. On another note anybody heard anything regarding the Hoard Holdings development by the showgrounds. Think I read in the paper the other day the City Councel were supposed to make a final decision on it today but haven't heard anything.
sovereign12

Postby Pug » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:03 am

they got the nod for it, very few objectors as well so is good news, the only people that might bring it to Bord pleanala is themselves, given city councils recent history of asking for huge development contributions.

Like waiting on CIE to sort themselves out and rebuild the train station, we now wait on the government to sort the funding for the required new bridge. To be fair, behind the scenes, city council seem to be doing what they can, they got the application for the bridge going, it has to trawl its way through government departments and into Brussels at some stage, city council also drove ahead with the oral hearings and application to CPO the roads in the Docklands and got landowners organised as to what needs to be done for that.
Pug

Postby theblimp » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:59 pm

I wonder what bearing, if any, last night's Evening Echo story about a marquee-type 'venue' at the Landfill site will have on HH's plans for the Docklands. I understand planning there is either through or imminent. Can't see the CCC supporting 2 similar-size structures, but what do I know!!
theblimp

Postby sovereign12 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:25 pm

Really great news regarding the atlantic quarter next question tho is will it actually get built in this economic climate. And in fairness credit where its due to the city council, they actually seem to be doing something to get the whole docklands going.
sovereign12

Postby opus » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:40 am

Story is in the Irish Times today, hopefully it will go ahead. Bit of a problem with their domain at the moment though -

This account has been suspended.
Either the domain has been overused, or the reseller ran out of resources.
opus

Postby Leesider » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:54 am

sovereign12 wrote:Really great news regarding the atlantic quarter next question tho is will it actually get built in this economic climate. And in fairness credit where its due to the city council, they actually seem to be doing something to get the whole docklands going.

From what I have heard the events centre and the hotel would go ahead straight away if the bridge was put in place with a number of large office plate buildings (not all of course).......makes sense in the economic climate we are in, start with the stuff that has a good chance of working.
Leesider

the only way is up

Postby Fishy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Having passed the Elysian on countless occasions and having viewed it from a variety of different perspectives it has just dawned on me that I dont notice it anymore. If there were another ten stories on top I really dont think that it would make any difference. This Irish paranoia with heigth is completely ridiculous. A properly designed and positioned tall building need not impose. Lash em up I say.
Fishy

Postby jungle » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:33 am

It looks awful as you approach it coming down Albert Rd.

But then, that's the low-rise part you see there.

You're right that the tower element has almost no negative effect on any city perspective.
jungle

Postby Pug » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:32 pm

saw a brief report in the evening echo last week, that brian cowen was in Cork and said the Gateway Innovation Fund was "suspended". Did I read that right? But that would mean the funding for the bridge is gone up in smoke so for the moment wouldnt it? Arent these the sort of projects that should be funded now given that they would supply jobs etc? If that doesnt happen it will be hard to open up the docklands for the next few years
Pug

Postby cgcsb » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:10 pm

I fear that the redevelopement of the docks incl. the bridge and light rail is a dead duck for another few years
cgcsb

Postby Leesider » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:52 pm

Pug wrote:saw a brief report in the evening echo last week, that brian cowen was in Cork and said the Gateway Innovation Fund was "suspended". Did I read that right? But that would mean the funding for the bridge is gone up in smoke so for the moment wouldnt it? Arent these the sort of projects that should be funded now given that they would supply jobs etc? If that doesnt happen it will be hard to open up the docklands for the next few years

I don't think this government has any initiative at all. Nevermind the jobs created in the construction phase which would be very welcome but the jobs and boost to the economy of a permanent venue for concerts, exhibitions etc would mean they would have their money (our money I should say) back in years!
Leesider

Postby MrX » Sun May 03, 2009 12:22 pm

Leesider wrote:I don't think this government has any initiative at all. Nevermind the jobs created in the construction phase which would be very welcome but the jobs and boost to the economy of a permanent venue for concerts, exhibitions etc would mean they would have their money (our money I should say) back in years!

I can understand the need for developing public venues etc, but I don't think the office and apartment space proposed has any market for the foreseeable future.

It would be fantastic if we could still go ahead with some of the public spaces, and let the apartments and offices happen as needed.
MrX

Postby Leesider » Tue May 05, 2009 6:58 pm

MrX wrote:I can understand the need for developing public venues etc, but I don't think the office and apartment space proposed has any market for the foreseeable future.

It would be fantastic if we could still go ahead with some of the public spaces, and let the apartments and offices happen as needed.

I realise the office space and apartments are a non runner at the moment but the events centre and a hotel would not be and provide a welcome boost to the economy, green and public spaces on top of this and it could be a nice area........of course the long overdue development of the pairc would be a welcome boost as well
Leesider

Postby jungle » Mon May 11, 2009 12:47 pm

Actually, office space could still be a goer.

Although Cork has a glut of commercial space, there's a serious lack of good quality modern office space near the city centre (Believe me, we're in the process of looking!). Plenty out in Mahon, Little Island or up at the airport, but not in the city centre itself.
jungle

Postby Leesider » Mon May 11, 2009 2:20 pm

jungle wrote:Actually, office space could still be a goer.

Although Cork has a glut of commercial space, there's a serious lack of good quality modern office space near the city centre (Believe me, we're in the process of looking!). Plenty out in Mahon, Little Island or up at the airport, but not in the city centre itself.

I think his aim first day was to attract large companies such as google to cork, for this the office plate has to be quite big........fat chance of all this happening when we our local politicans can't even get us a bridge!
Leesider

Postby Pug » Tue May 12, 2009 10:50 am

remarkable that the govt have no means apparently of giving us a bridge costing 60m to kickstart the entire docklands but magically a bridge that costs 59m is sitting on a barge just outside Dublin Port having arrived from Rotterdam
Pug

Postby Angry Rebel » Tue May 12, 2009 11:45 am

Sure the jackeens don't need it now that the IFSC is gone quiet...

Could we stage a daring raid to steal it? It's probably too short but sure we could throw a few planks across the gap until we find the extra few bob.
Angry Rebel

Postby who_me » Tue May 12, 2009 5:56 pm

jungle wrote:Actually, office space could still be a goer.

Can second this - we're about to move from the city centre for this very reason. D'OH! :(
who_me

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland