University or an IT??

World architecture... what's happening generally....

University or an IT??

Postby acousticer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:12 pm

i was just thinking......if architecture is a 5 year course....you really wanna be happy where your situated!!.......and now I'm having doubts about putting down the DIT as my backup after UCD.......no campus.....no accomadation........would i be better off going to a Uni like University of Limerick......i hear it's supposed to be a good course too........

any advice??
what's the nightlife like......??
acousticer

Re: University or an IT??

Postby spoil_sport » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:42 pm

Bloody hell, can we just start a "help acousticer" thread instead of all these little ones. Your first mistake is to assume that because UCD has a campus it's better. The architecture faculty is on the outskirts of the campus, and really has very little to the main campus, its an isolated world to itself, and having lived on campus, I can tell you that is no fun either, getting into town is an arduous undertaking, at least a 20mins bus ride, and when the course gets really busy the realisation that you haven't left the confines on the UCD compound for three weeks is pretty depressing. (Although in saying that it can be lots of fun for the first /second year, its not all bad)
The best advice I think you can get is concentrate on your leaving cert, get what you need first and the rest will happen later, any choice you make is a risk; some people loved UCD others hated it, and I'm sure the same applies for all colleges. Wherever you end up, they will lay nothing on a plate; you will have to make it work for you.
spoil_sport

Postby acousticer » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:52 pm

i know yea.....maybe a website!:D:p:;)
gotta keep ya busy.....:P

yea but if you go to the DIT and have to get an apartment......at least ya might have a better chance of getting ta know more peeps if ya were on campus would you not!?!
maybe not.....i dunno!

by any chance do you know when the portfolios for architecture in UL have to be submitted.....i have searched but found nothing.....I'll probably have to ring them??
acousticer

Postby rira » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:19 pm

As a DIT head I'm just going to say that one of the best things about Bolton St is the proximity to town, particularly if you are living away from home.

Even with campus accomodation, the availability is very limited and the vast majority of those I know in UCD live off campus out of choice. With the recession rents are falling all over and Bolton st is close to some decent student accomodation (actually loads) with a mix from DIT, Trinity, NCAD and more. Having lived in both, I would never go back to student accomodation, it's messy and loud and they treat you like poop because they think they can get away with treating students like poop.

I understand how the slight coccoon might appeal to someone leaving home for the first time, but you get over having to pay bills every couple of months very quickly ... it really is no biggy.

Plus any cost reduction from living on campus will easily be eaten by taxis, buses and nitelinks.

To summarise: don't chose your course because of it's location ... it doesn't matter, you won't leave studio that often.
rira

Postby Contraband » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:40 am

I go to LSAD (Limerick School of Art & Design) which is technically part of LIT (but its not really we have our own campus and students union haha). We're lucky enough to have student accomodation.
UL is a good uni, and the nightlife in Limerick in general is brilliant. People come from quite far away to go out here. You'd enjoy yourself here I'd say, UL has a fantastic campus.
Contraband

Return to World Architecture