thomond park redevelopment

Re: thomond park redevelopment

Postby Dreamstate » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:31 pm

CologneMike wrote:Shannon RFU Pavilion

(08211) Permission granted 17th February 2009

Demolish existing pavilion within the grounds of Thomond Park and to construct a proposed pavilion facility to include sports hall, gymnasium, sports injury treatment area, changing and shower room areas and reception rooms with bar amenities and associated site works.

Is this a joke ?
Dreamstate

Postby CologneMike » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:58 pm

CologneMike wrote:Shannon RFU Pavilion

(08211) Permission granted 17th February 2009

Demolish existing pavilion within the grounds of Thomond Park and to construct a proposed pavilion facility to include sports hall, gymnasium, sports injury treatment area, changing and shower room areas and reception rooms with bar amenities and associated site works.

NevilleNeville wrote:What a mess!

Dreamstate wrote:Is this a joke ?

Lads are you stuck for words to make complete sentences or what? Elaborate . . . . .

I gave it the thumbs up as my first impressions are one of a very promising looking club house with good facilities for a top rugby club. Do you think they deserve better?
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby NevilleNeville » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:43 pm

Suffice to say that the brevity of my initial response was due to my dismay at the poor quality of design in the vicinity the city's newest icon. Agreed this is only an opinion but nevertheless the overuse of materials and window types, the lack of coherence of the elevations, the thickness of the fascias which are without detail, the poor appreciation of scale and order are what makes this a mess in design terms. I appreciate the difficulty created by the context of the proposal however a good designer would have overcome this, with the clues being in the quality of the brief itself. Do the Shannon RFU deseve better? The design wreaks of having too many cooks so perhaps the designers were pushed by a committee. The location of the project however certainly deserves better.
NevilleNeville

Postby CologneMike » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:37 pm

I thought at first the image above might have given the wrong impression in that the pavilion will be directly behind the West Stand, but in fact it will be tucked well away on its original site in the far corner.

However, since I have yet to venture into the redeveloped ground, so much so that I’m amazed to see the true length of the West Stand. The proposed Pavilion and corner of the West Stand are really close to each other.

On top of that I presume the main entrances are still in place here too. Will it be a bit of a squeeze here on match days when 26.000 turn up?

Was there not also talk of relocating the Garda Station next door to Moyross thus freeing up space to expand next door?
Attachments
TPBA.jpg
TPBA.jpg (47.05 KiB) Viewed 800 times
SRFCPavilion.jpg
SRFCPavilion.jpg (64.18 KiB) Viewed 801 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland