Design - Interior & Furniture

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Design - Interior & Furniture

Postby acousticer » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:23 pm

has anyone done this course in the DIT?i was thinking about having this as a 2nd choice, after architecture, for college.
what's it like though?Any good future careers from its qualifications?

all opinions about the course are appreciated.
acousticer

Re: Design - Interior & Furniture

Postby experiMental » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:31 pm

I've worked with some students from that course. They do a lot of CAD work and the projects seem to be doable. These projects are real-world interior design briefs, with all the constraints put in, etc. Judging from what I've seen, you're not given any out of this world or futuristic projects, so you might end up employable in the future. However, I don't know whether the jobs exist at all in the interior design area.
experiMental

Postby acousticer » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:34 pm

thanks!would you recommend it so?
acousticer

Postby experiMental » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:26 pm

I seriously have doubts when it comes to recommending the course. I've heard of graphic designers and even artists commissioned to design interiors. So the whole area of interior design seems to be very competitive and it overlaps with other disciplines. I might be wrong, so if you have free time, I highly recommend you to visit DIT campus in Mountjoy Square and talk to a few lecturers. Just ask the porters at the front desk of where the interior design department is and they'll point you in the right direction.
experiMental

Postby acousticer » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:12 pm

thanks for the advice!I might go for up for the open day anyway!.

"spoil sport" has the same doubts so maybe i should reconsider though!
acousticer

Postby syliu » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:34 pm

i doing it in GCD
syliu

Postby acousticer » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:13 pm

what's it like??
acousticer

Postby Sparkle09 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi does anyone know what the difference between interior achitecture and interior design is. I presumed that the Archiect designed the internal layout and the building external envelope and that the interior designer designed the interior but then what is interior architecture about?At present I'm in college but would love to do interior design after this, i don't see why people need a degree to do interior design , is there not a way round it that if you already have a degree in a similar field that you can just gain experience with interior designers and branch out from that? I really would love to do interior design, but is there a market for it. any advise would be greatly apprecaited thanks :)
Sparkle09

Postby PTB » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:54 pm

I think anyone can just call themselves interior designers as far as i know. I know of a woman who has decided that she is an interior designer on account of having perused a few magezines on the subject and then having 'remodeled' her sisters hallway. She goes into friends houses and says things like "if you put red cushions on the sofa you could really add a sense of vitality to this room".

I appreciate that this information may be of no use to you.
PTB

Postby calculator » Mon May 04, 2009 10:26 pm

interior designers and interior architects are both seen as the same in the workplace the only difference is the qualification however both do the same thing.
a lot of people mistake designers for decorators... huge difference!!!
i am studying interior design in gcd and it is a very tough course which requires alot of commitment. it is also one of the best courses in Europe and is a very good course but takes up a lot of time. the hours are 10 to 5 and we work until the late hours when we go home after college... this is not for the faint hearted. we do not spend this much time picking out paint colors and curtains. there is a whole technical aspect to this course that i could not even begin to explain. for us to be compared to someone who tells people to put red cushion on the sofa is very frustrating. I would only recommend this course for people who are really interested in becoming an interior designer or architect. I really hope this is helpful!
calculator

Postby jenniferm » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:11 am

Interior design is more arts -based i.e. what furniture/decorations to use etc, whereas interior architecture would probably be more to do with the layout of the house or where to put the stairs etc - more technical.

Thanks
Portland Oregon Interior Designers
jenniferm

Return to World Architecture