41% of Architects will have lost their jobs by March 2009
A recent survey projected 41% of architects will have lost their jobs in the period between January 2008 to March 2009. This was according to the survey Architectural Practices Employment Survey commissioned by the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI) and conducted by Millward Brown IMS.
Survey findings include:
* 29% of architects have been made redundant in the last year and based on current patterns; this figure is projected to increase to 41% by March 2009;
* 39% of architectural technicians have lost their jobs in the last year and this is projected to increase to 54% by March 2009;
* 38% of architectural technicians outside of Dublin will have lost their jobs from January 2008 to March 2009;
* It is projected that the number of practices employing architectural technicians will decrease by 40% by March 2009;
* 38% of administrative staff in architectural practices will have been made redundant by March 2009;
* 47% of architectural practices reduced their staff in 2008 with only 2% increasing their staff levels.
Director of the RIAI, John Graby, said, â€œThe institute is working on developing information, education and support services for architects and looking at opportunities for them. The RIAI is looking to Government to assist in developing opportunities for the architectural profession.
"A great deal of expertise has been developed within the Irish Architectural Profession over the last 15 years and Irish architects are among the best in the world at delivering high volume, high quality buildings within very tight time frames. Already foreign countries are looking to Ireland to learn from their experiences. There is a significant opportunity for the Irish government to capitalise on this expertise and use it to promote the knowledge of Irish Architects and the construction sector in the international services market.
Mr Graby continued, â€œWe need to examine best practice. Sustainable design needs to be part of normal practice in the built environment. Architects are at the forefront of delivering on this. If our commitments to preventing climate change are to be delivered on, then how we design and make our buildings is a critical factor and we need to put resources into research to ensure that Ireland is leading the drive in this areaâ€.
42% of RIAI registered practices responded to the survey.