DIT vs UCD

World architecture... what's happening generally....

DIT vs UCD

Postby acousticer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:25 pm

yet another thread....
Ok I need advice......I have read many other threads on the topic of which college is better and that apparently they both produce fine architects???
And does the DIT seem to concentrate more on the technical side of things where as UCD is completely opposite??
I would like to apply for UCD if it is more designed based,and the fact that once you graduate you are recognized by the RIAI and the RIBA.....but I'm afraid that I would achieve enough points to attend......any chance of a points drop with the recession and all?

appreciate all replys.
thanks
acousticer

Re: DIT vs UCD

Postby Briain » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:38 pm

Have you not thought of applying to any of the three other schools in the country? (UL, UCC and WIT)

Don't limit your options based on where you want to study. I don't know much about WIT but UL and UCC will be highly regarded degree programmes...will be because neither course has produces graduates yet.

As for points going down, they already are. I imagine they will continue to do so as current school-leavers won't desire entering into the construction industry with the current doom and gloom...
Briain

Postby acousticer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:37 pm

thanks....I would prefer though if I could study somewhere closer than Limerick or Cork......I suppose I could consider Waterford...don't know much about it though either...

I just looked up on Qualifax and noticed a course in Sligo which I never noticed before this.....do you know anything about this???
acousticer

Postby rira » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:17 am

The eternal, unanswerable question.

Basically UCD and DIT offer very similar courses, as do all the colleges given the requirments of the RIAI. The fact that UCD is recognised by the RIBA isn't a huge factor, the reality is that with EU Directives on equivilancy that's not somethign you should worry about, any RIAI recognised qualification is recognised in the EU. Bear in mind that the newer courses are not recognised as far as I know, not that there is any reason that they won't be as soon as they have graduates.

DIT and UCD have slightly different approaches to architecture and there are pluses and minuses to both. UCD is a bit more theory and philosophy based while DIT is a bit more practice and (I hate to say it) reality based. It may seem a bit harsh to say now but I don't think it really makes much of a difference what you think you want to go into as the learning curve is so steep when you first join any school of architecture that everything you thought before hand is pretty much irrelevant.

Otherwise UCD have a much better library but are miles out in Clonskeagh. I personally love being in the city centre every day. Also if you are not 100% sure of what you're getting into the fact that you have a BSc in Arch after 3 years is a nice cushion to carry into another school or area.

If I were you I would call the schools and find out when there are Crits (preferably big crits for first or second year) and go have a look and a walk about. Architecture students are generally dying to be distracted and the studios and crits in DIT are open for anyone to come see.

Good Luck
rira

Postby goneill » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:58 am

Why don't you count how many graduates of each college have won the RIAI Travelling scholarship; The Downes Medal; RIAI Gold Medals (including the variants); RIBA Gold Medals; AIA Gold Medals. Throw in RIBA Young Architect, the Sterling Prize and perhaps a world building of the year. If that doesn't produce a result make a list of your top 10, 20 or 50 favourite buildings in Ireland, and see whose graduates' work you prefer.
goneill

Postby rira » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:24 am

Don't forget the Opus Awards for best Final Year Thesis!

Looking at competitions would be a great way to go about it except for the fact that every student competition is skewed because of the different ways the colleges are set up. UCD always do better in Travelling scholarship because they do fewer projects in fourth year, therefore their projects are more developed. DIT do better in Opus because the thesis is a single year long project so they are more developed.

That entire list mentioned above (perhaps excluding AAI awards) would make you go for UCD but it's a biased list, and at the end of the day, the past is the past, what difference does it make to you?

I think it's much more relevant to visit the schools, visit the end of year shows and talk to current staff and students.
rira

Postby shadow » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:26 am

Check the data
shadow

Postby archigirl » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:54 am

The trouble with picking a school based on past graduates, apart from the fact that you are excluding three up and coming Irish schools, is that architecture schools appear to go through periods of highs and lows. The conditions that produced the work may not still exist. Personally I think the best way to really get a feel for the different schools is to talk to students currently in attendance and try to get into the studio spaces, the atmosphere shouldn't point you in the wrong direction.
archigirl

Return to World Architecture