Regeneration of King's Island ~ Saint Mary's Park

Regeneration of King's Island ~ Saint Mary's Park

Postby CologneMike » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:43 pm

The Subject Site and its Environs

The area of St. Mary’s Park is located on the northern half of King’s Island to the north of the known alignment of the city walls. The island is formed by the River Shannon to the north and west, and the Abbey River to the east and south. This area was originally accessed from the walled Englishtown in medieval times via a gate in the wall called Island Gate.

Site Description

The original site boundary comprises 40 hectares of the northern portion of King’s Island in the heart of Limerick City. It includes:

• St. Mary’s Park: a 1930’s local authority housing Estate of 463 houses, of which 273 (59%) are privately owned, and 190 (41%) are local authority owned
  • A frontage of approximately 2 km on to the Shannon and Abbey rivers, with an embankment to control flooding that also functions as an attractive riverside walk
  • A Special Area of Conservation of 10.7 hectares along the eastern edge of the Island, fronting on to the Abbey River, which extends along the banks of the Abbey and Shannon rivers
  • Two soccer clubs on a combined site of 3 hectares, with short term leases from Limerick City Council
  • A military cemetery of 0.6 hectares dating from the 1850’s
  • A modest community centre in the south-west corner with planning permission for a crèche adjacent
  • Extensive open space that is low lying and generally neglected

The Plan also takes into account the site’s relationship with the Heritage Precinct and the rest of Limerick City.

Heritage Precinct

The original settlement of Limerick grew up on the south of King’s Island. This is the historic core of the city, known as the ‘Heritage Precinct’, containing King John’s Castle, St. Mary’s Cathedral, old St. Munchin’s Church, the Courthouse and many other important historical features. The adjacent figure summarises the rich collection of ancient buildings and sites in the southern part of the Island which form part of the Precinct.

Within the site of St. Mary’s Park Estate there is a recorded archaeological monument, known as a starshaped fort, which dates to the 17th century. Although the precise location is not known, from maps studied, it is expected to be lying under the existing 1930’s housing, in the vicinity of the junction of St. Ita’s Street and St. Brendan’s Street.

This site is classified as a “bastion”, and is protected under the National Monuments Acts. It is also on the record of protected structures, as listed in the City Development Plan, and is therefore further protected under planning legislation. Whilst the fort is clearly no longer visible, its foundations may still exist.

The military cemetery and attendant cottage at the southern end of the site (between St. Mary’s Park and Assumpta Park) date to the mid 19th Century, and whilst neither feature is formally protected, they form an important use of the area at that time.

The site has high potential for archaeological remains. This is because of the history of the general area with respect to Viking influence, the activities that would normally be conducted close to the walls of a medieval city and the existence of the star-shaped fort over a period of several hundred years. The shoreline of the site also has high potential for underwater, inter-tidal or riparian archaeological remains.

Source: Limerick Regeneration Agency ~ Masterplan St. Mary’s Park
Attachments
aerial_stmarys.jpg
aerial_stmarys.jpg (179.56 KiB) Viewed 8651 times
KingsIsland.jpg
KingsIsland.jpg (236.46 KiB) Viewed 8648 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Re: Regeneration of King’s Island ~ Saint Mary’s Park

Postby gunter » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:58 pm

That Island site would have made a great location for the university, would it not?
gunter
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:27 pm

It would definitely have solved the problem of the university's alienation from the city centre anyway. It would be fantastic to have UL right in the heart of the city! Aesthetically speaking, Plassey isn't exactly a bad location either I suppose!

One thing is for certain though, Kings Island definitely deserves better than a council housing estate. The area has enormous potential!
Tuborg

Postby justnotbothered » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:44 pm

Such an important project. If it is done right it will completely alter the city.

Any idea on when the proposed regeneration is due to start?
justnotbothered

Postby phil » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Tuborg wrote:
One thing is for certain though, Kings Island definitely deserves better than a council housing estate. The area has enormous potential!

The plan seems to aspire to create balanced communities including a mixed tenure of housing. Potential success of such ambitions aside, is this not the type of urban future we should be trying to plan for in areas such as these?
phil
Old Master

Postby gunter » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:25 pm

phil wrote:The plan seems to aspire to create balanced communities including a mixed tenure of housing . . . . . is this not the type of urban future we should be trying to plan for in areas such as these?

I agree with that phil, it's just a question of whether this site is more special than that.

I only mentioned the university idea, because it occured to me as a missed opportuniy, and it appears to be one of those examples of how we don't really 'plan' in this country.

'Planning' is usually interpreted, by our local authorities, as a process of restricting development by a series of zonings on a map with accompanying prescriptive texts. 'Planning' in it's original meaning of predicting a better future and working out a strategy for getting there, almost never seems to happen. If it did, I would be surprised if a glorious site like the northern half of King's Island, wouldn't have featured prominantly in any strategy. This is perhaps one of the ways in which the autocratic city scores over the democratic city, you just can't beat rolling out the map and moving the pieces around until they're all in the optimum position.

The optimum position for a university, in a city of Limerick's size, has to be within touching distance of the historic core where the synergy between city and university is at it's greatest (and most bohemian). The King's Island site would seem to have offered all of that and still have had plenty of room left for playing fields, rowing clubs etc. etc. The bookshops, the cafés, the buzz, the energy, the bicycles, all of that seems to melt away when the college is located miles out of the city centre. If this isn't quantifyable on a City Council balance sheet, then maybe there's something to Brian O'Hanlon's thesis that we need new economic models for urban regeneration!

On that star-shaped fort, the accounts of the sieges auggest that it may have been one of the earthworks erected under the direction of the French military engineers in the lull between the first and second siege. The map of the 1691 siege shows the fort to be located towards the top end of the island.

What a beautiful pastry the 'Irish Town' makes!
gunter
Old Master

Postby phil » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:40 am

Gunter, I have no reason to dispute any of what you are saying regarding the location of a university in relation to a town or city in theory. However, I would worry about a tendency to label somewhere as being somewhat 'special' to the extent that it can only be used for a particular land-use which is assumed to 'fit-in' with the status given to it. I feel one of the greatest challenges to contemporary planning is getting past preconceived notions regarding the suitability of particular areas to particular land-uses/ways of life. The social reality of the current situation is the context in which this present plan is being made. This, I feel, cannot be ignored.
phil
Old Master

Postby gunter » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:20 am

phil wrote:The social reality of the current situation is the context in which this present plan is being made. This, I feel, cannot be ignored.

That's fair enough, as far as it goes!

It does look like a decent plan, but essentially it's the same plan that we see for the regeneration of Michael's Estate in Inchicore, or O'Deveney Gardens.

All of these plans, (with or without the PPP process), take a socially deprived council housing estate, knock it down, and replace it with a bigger, mixed tenure development, based on the reasonable premise that the new mixture of social and private housing will address the social depravation, and that the creation of blocks of private development will cover the cost of rebuilding the social housing content.

Again that's all fair enough . . . . except that the King's Island site isn't Inchicore, or a land bank behind the North Circular Road, it's the other half of Limerick's original island settlement, the undeveloped bit, outside the medieval walls, and cities don't often get two bites at a cherry like that.

It's just an observation, I don't want to start a row!
gunter
Old Master

Postby phil » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:35 am

gunter wrote:
It's just an observation, I don't want to start a row!

ha ha :) I try not to get into rows here, but sometimes my typing may seem more aggressive than what I am actually thinking. If that is the case I apologise.

Don't worry, I do not buy hook line and sinker in to the present means of urban regeneration either. There are a wide range of issues that are often taken for granted in such plans, which would take up too much time to go into here. There is certainly an opportunity to integrate the area into the remainder of the city. However, at a risk of repeating myself, my original comment was made based on my belief that the current social context must be taken into account in whatever plans are made. This is fundamental to any urban regeneration strategy.
phil
Old Master

Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Postby CologneMike » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:27 pm

Tuborg wrote:
An unusual event occurred over the last week or so with two developments given the go ahead in the "medieval" area of the city! The reason its unusual is because Limerick City Council have shot down a considerable number of applications especially in the Nicholas Street area over the last couple of years.

There has been a lot of noise over the last decade or so about developing Nicholas Street as a tourist attraction, however very little has actually been achieved. The area is currently plagued by vacant premises and wholesale neglect.

The major problem seems to be a lack of a coherent strategy for the rejuvenation of the area. There needs to be some kind of stimulus to attract businesses to locate here. Maybe the Council could reduce the commercial rate or better still waive it for a certain period?

Anyway, the first site is on Bridge Street, just across the road from St Mary’s Cathedral.

Permission for the demolition of a single storey structure and the construction of a 4 storey office development and ancillary works to site adjacent to the former Post Office.

Site adjacent to former Post Office
Bridge Street
Limerick.

Tuborg wrote:
The other location is on Nicholas Street itself. Again it's in close proximity to St Mary's Cathedral so appropriate and sensitive design is essential.

This site has been derelict for a good number of years and apparently the existence of a medieval fireplace has delayed its redevelopment. I'm not sure what the current status of this fireplace is or indeed if the site contains any other items of archaeological interest.

Anyone know anything about this?

Development of office building consisting of a public foyer with gallery space and cafe area to ground floor and offices to upper level. The site is noted as an RMP (Record of Monuments & Places) Ref: LI 005-017 as described and protected under the National Monuments Act 1930 - 1994

36-39 Nicholas Street
King's Island
Limerick City

dave123 wrote:
Thanks for the link's and pics. I actually enquired about that site, it's one of the few remaining prime sites on Nicolas street to be redeveloped.

I must agree with you on the the issue with Nicolas street been a tourist area. it has real potential. Many people by-pass this part of town. Especially since the Northern Relief road was built and the existing street was de trunked completely and made one way. The street need's good access and sign posting. It's one of the oldest street's in the city (if not the oldest part of town). It should be noted.

I live in Dublin, and many of my friends have never seen that part of town. The medieval area. Most people, say oh limerick is just a big block of wide streets. But this is one of the first English towns in the country, with alot of the charactor and architecture intact.As a kid Nicolsas street used to be a thriving area, and traffic used to be horrendus in the summer! Mainly because it was the only East to the North and west artery over to Clare, if you avoided the city centre route. Now thankfully the Relief road adjacent was built.

Anyone seen what the 4 story development would look like? Hope it's good. This part of town is taking off literally. The newish development on the relief road and Corbally are pretty impressive IMO.

The bridge site looks really promising for ripe fresh redevelopment renaicannce (sorry for spelling) of this street :)

jpsartre wrote:
Its a funny thing but I took a walk down Nicholas street today and along Mary street for the first time in I don't know how long. It looked completely different to how I remembered it as a kid, especially Mary street (I drive down it all the time but some how I don't notice the changes when I'm driving.)

I recall looking at a site notice in a window there on Bridge street and the application was made, I think, in June or July so I just assumed either the app. had been knocked back or the developer/builder decided to pull out. The site's proximity to the road would affect its commercial viabilty I would imagine.

Of the other site on Nicholas street I only know what you've already made ref. to viz. the discovery of a mediaeval fireplace held up the project. (the cafe thing is interesting. In 1785 a 'cafe' named the Merchant's Coffee House was opened next door to the Exchange on Nicholas street according to Georgian Limerick Vol II. Just a thought.)

Personally I can't see Nicholas street attracting any serious investment until the perceived threat from elements within St. Mary's Park is addressed. Stix is a real hoodie hang out that does nothing for the area. Also, and this is a personal view, I don't like the road surfacing. They've use granite, a quality material, on the footpaths which is great but the concrete setts on the road are horrible. Simple as that. I'd rather they used asphalt. If Nicholas st. and Mary street were paved with a limestone or even the tegula favoured by Nicholas de Jong (although I still prefer stone) it would really lift the area imo, I don't think you can underestimate the impact of quality paving materials.

gunter wrote:
jpsartre wrote:
Originally Posted by jpsartre
Of the other site on Nicholas street I only know what you've already made ref. to viz. the discovery of a mediaeval fireplace held up the project. (the cafe thing is interesting. In 1785 a 'cafe' named the Merchant's Coffee House was opened next door to the Exchange on Nicholas street according to Georgian Limerick Vol II. Just a thought.)

. . . . I believe the future of this city lies in preserving the little we've got left. The old neglected laneways and bow-ways in Limerick . . . . .

I hope ye don't mind an outsider getting involved, but since I spent the New Year in Limerick, I'm going to be like a kid with a new toy for the next few weeks.

Image Image

That scrolled fireplace is a beauty, but it seems to be just the tip of the iceberg as far as surviving historic fabric on Nicholas Street / Mary Street is concerned. The development of the gallery/coffee shop and offices at 36 - 39 Nicholas Street appears to have been given permission on 14 Dec, but I can't get any hard information from the Planning Office website, or the architects (Healy & Partners) website.

I don't know what other people think, but to me there looks to be huge potential in the surviving fabric of Nicholas St. / Mary St. that just needs someone in the City Council to take it by the throat and guide the much needed regeneration towards the kind of contemporary re-expression of the scale and importance of this original medieval Main Street that could bring this great street back from the brink of misery.

Almost every surviving building on the street exhibits some vestige or other of a previous, and much higher status, manifestation. There are finely cut stone dressings behind half the ground floor shopfronts/roller shutters and evidence of early 18th century red brickwork re-facings to numerous (apparently truncated) upper floors. On one of the derelict sites on Mary Street, you can see the broken remains of a barrel vaulted basement peeping through the rubble.

Nicholas Street from the direction of the castle.

There's a big hoarding on a nearby derelict site heralding your entry into Limerick's 'Medieval Quarter' ! I suppose that's the first step.
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:28 pm

At long last it looks like we might be seeing the end of that derelict site at the corner of George's Quay and Bridge Street.

Permission for development which will consist of the redevelopment of a derelict site at No. 1 George's Quay to provide for a 2 storey building which will include a ground floor delicatessen/sandwich bar. The proposed development makes provision to change the permitted use of the ground floor of No. 2 George's Quay, permitted by 08/47 from coffee shop to form part of the Locke Bar. The Bridge Bar will be altered to allow for its amalgamation with the ground floor of the Locke Bar at No.'s 2 and 3 George's Quay. The proposed development also consists of the amalgamation of the Bridge Bar, No. 1, No. 2 George's Quay and the Locke Bar at first floor level to form a single restaurant and the provision of this restaurant will include minor alterations. The proposed development will include minor alterations to the existing facade of the Bridge Bar, ancillary signage and staff and storage facilities.

Bridge Bar, Bridge Street and No.'s 1, 2 and 3 George's Quay
Limerick

The existing Locke Bar is show in orange below with the buildings subject to the planning application marked in yellow.

The second image dates from around 1950, you can just about see the original corner building behind the fingerpost. It fell into dereliction in the 70s/80s and in recent years was used by the Locke Bar as a storage area.

Hopefully we'll eventually see some movement on the Bridge Street Motors site as well.
Attachments
Aerial Locke Bar.jpg
Aerial Locke Bar.jpg (87.88 KiB) Viewed 8579 times
199302712.jpg
199302712.jpg (131.6 KiB) Viewed 8579 times
Tuborg

Postby gunter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:17 am

While you've clearly been waiting a very long time for this site to be redeveloped, and while I acknowledge that 'The Lock Bar' is a very well run operation . . . . going down the two storey route on this site is a fatal mistake imo.

Image Image

We do have to guard against the other extreme, the temptation to over-design corners, but, given the wonderful urban heritage of Georges Quay / Merchant's Quay, and given that this is one of the entry points to the original urban core of the city, a redevelopment of decent urban scale has to be a prerequisite on this site, even if somebody's arm has to be twisted to get it.

Particularly in these recessionary times, pro-active intervention by the City Council may be necessary to put some vision on what a regeneration of 'King's Island' could be and some vision on what the ideal form of future redevelopment of key sites, such as this one and indeed, the full lenght of Nicholas St. / Mary St. might be.

The 'Dutch Billy' on the left is 'The Locke Bar'
of today, but without it's top storey.

And finally, as a new year's resolution, somebody needs to start talking to Richard Costello about putting the top back on his building (The Locke Bar), personally I'd slip it in as a planning condition, in lieu of the financial contribution. ;)
gunter
Old Master

Re: Limerick Civic Trust ~ The First 25 Years

Postby CologneMike » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:06 pm

gunter wrote:
One key derelict site, no. 1 George's Quay, on the corner with Bridge Street is the subject of a current planning application by the owners of the adjoining pub/restaurant, 'The Locke Bar', but again the proposed development is just a disappointing two storeys!

I think we seriously need to get our heads around regenerating our historic urban cores in ways that do some justice to the scale and prestige of what went before. It's bad enough that the whole of Merchant's Quay, the other side of Bridge Street and the very site of the Exchange itself have all been absorbed into the ever expanding cemetery, without going totally suburban on key sites like this.

A great high level view of Merchants Quay when it still had buildings on it and also showing the corner of George's Quay with Bridge street, where the two storey corner building is now proposed.

I found this fragment of a map of the Merchants Quay from 1840 and it shows very well how many houses that were replaced there by the Cathedral for its graveyard or by the City Corporation as public space.

Clockwise:

• Nicholas Street
  • Grid-Iron Lane (Exchange)
  • Bachelors Walk (Exchange)
  • Quay Lane (Bridge Street)
  • Merchants Quay
  • Bow Lane (Saint Augustine Place)

I suppose as a by product of those clearings, it gave the city a clear view of its oldest building from the river but I doubt that this could be a justifiable reason to build just a two storey building at the corner of Bridge Street and George’s Quay.
Attachments
StMarys1840.jpg
StMarys1840.jpg (225.5 KiB) Viewed 8557 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:15 pm

I had no idea Merchants Quay was once lined with houses. I just assumed that St Marys had a large site at their disposal.

Today Merchants Quay is labelled a public space when in reality its effectively a car park, its hard to imagine that it was once a residential street stretching down to the entrance to the old City Gaol.

gunter wrote:
While you've clearly been waiting a very long time for this site to be redeveloped, and while I acknowledge that 'The Lock Bar' is a very well run operation . . . . going down the two storey route on this site is a fatal mistake imo.

We do have to guard against the other extreme, the temptation to over-design corners, but, given the wonderful urban heritage of Georges Quay / Merchant's Quay, and given that this is one of the entry points to the original urban core of the city, a redevelopment of decent urban scale has to be a prerequisite on this site, even if somebody's arm has to be twisted to get it.

Theres no question that this site could take 3/4 storeys, indeed it would've been nice to have a cluster of larger scale buildings fronting onto the Abbey River here.

Of course the problem with this current proposal is that as you go higher, you also get into dangerous territory as regards design quality etc. Also for some reason modern buildings dont do corners well. I wonder what type of finish they are proposing here, will it be brick like the original structure?

Incidentally George's Quay was once home to a terrace of four storey townhouses adjacent to Barrington's Hospital. These buildings which I presume became tenements would have been demolished in the early years of the last Century. St Anne's Vocational School (which was later home to the Limerick School of Art & Design) was built on this site in 1939.
Attachments
Georges Quay Early 20th Century.jpg
Georges Quay Early 20th Century.jpg (173.19 KiB) Viewed 8548 times
Tuborg

Postby CologneMike » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:40 pm

Saint Mary’s Park ~ 1930’3 / 1940’s

The Saintly Streets of the Island Field named after Saint Munchin, Saint Brendan, Saint Columcille, Saint Senan, Saint Ita and Oliver Plunkett would bring a smile to many a Limerick person as the estate has earned itself a reputation where halos are somewhat in short supply. :rolleyes:

With the then new political order in Land, the Irish Free State (1930’s) started its social building program to address the appalling housing conditions and I believe Saint Mary’s Park was the first such estate to be built in Limerick by the City Corporation.

Seventy-five years on, and now these houses or more so the estate itself is to be regenerated. The Limerick Museum has a large set of photographs on Saint Mary’s Park from the 1940’s, which have a strong human touch. It would cool if this photo series were repeated again before the bulldozers move in.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Opening of the Island Field Housing Estate, 30th May 1935. Minister Sean T. O'Kelly and Mayor Casey on platform, the Minister addressing a large crowd gathered in front of the new housing; the platform is flanked by the mace bearers. Source Limerick Museum
Attachments
OpeningDay.jpg
OpeningDay.jpg (151.24 KiB) Viewed 8516 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Griff » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Tuborg wrote:At long last it looks like we might be seeing the end of that derelict site at the corner of George's Quay and Bridge Street.

The existing Locke Bar is show in orange below with the buildings subject to the planning application marked in yellow.

The second image dates from around 1950, you can just about see the original corner building behind the fingerpost. It fell into dereliction in the 70s/80s and in recent years was used by the Locke Bar as a storage area.

Hopefully we'll eventually see some movement on the Bridge Street Motors site as well.

When did Hogans bridge become Matthew Bridge ??
Griff

Postby Tuborg » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:26 pm

Griff wrote:When did Hogans bridge become Matthew Bridge ??

Not sure what thats all about to be honest, I cant find any reference to it as Hogans Bridge.

As far as I know it was dedicated to Fr. Theobald Mathew, the man responsible for the national temperance movement.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Mathew Bridge, Rutland Street, Bridge Street, Limerick (NIAH)

Triple-span flat road bridge, built between 1844-46. This bridge replaced an existing bridge called New Bridge which was constructed in 1762 linking Englishtown with the expanding and developing new town (Baal's Bridge was for a long time the only eastern connection between the Englishtown to the north and the south of the Abbey River to Irishtown). The bridge, with its commodious flat deck and finely crafted stonework, was erected to the designs of William Henshaw Owen. The bridge was opened in July 1846 and the contractor was John Duggan.

Tuborg

Postby Tuborg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:19 am

Further Information has been requested in the case of the corner site at Bridge Street/George's Quay.

Attachments
Locke Bar I.jpg
Locke Bar I.jpg (38.17 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
Locke Bar II.jpg
Locke Bar II.jpg (33.71 KiB) Viewed 8443 times
Tuborg

Postby Tuborg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:01 pm

Site adjacent to former Post Office, Bridge Street Limerick

Four storey office development near the junction with Nicholas Street.
Attachments
Bridge Street Site.jpg
Bridge Street Site.jpg (51.6 KiB) Viewed 8411 times
Bridge Street Site II.jpg
Bridge Street Site II.jpg (46.86 KiB) Viewed 8411 times
Tuborg

Postby Tuborg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:35 pm

36-39 Nicholas Street, King's Island

This proposed office development (with ground floor gallery & cafe space) has been appealed to An Bord Pleanala

Its certainly a pretty risky, ultra modern design in a sensitive setting. Materials include; stone cladding, glazed curtain walling and timber panelling.

Attachments;

(I). Nicholas Street elevation

(II) & (III). St. Peter Street elevation
Attachments
Nicholas Street Site.jpg
Nicholas Street Site.jpg (37.3 KiB) Viewed 8411 times
Nicholas Street Site SE.jpg
Nicholas Street Site SE.jpg (38.06 KiB) Viewed 8411 times
Nicholas Street Site SE II.jpg
Nicholas Street Site SE II.jpg (29.51 KiB) Viewed 8410 times
Tuborg

Postby gunter » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:15 am

The Bridge Street building looks pretty decent, maybe the vertical corner feature is a bit over-done, but still nice and solid.

The proposal for 36 - 39 Nicholas Street ought to be a complete non-runner. This is an ultra-sensitive site at an ultra-sensitive location on the medieval main street of the city.

This is the site, we talked about earlier, the one that incorporates (in the middle of it) a substantial masonry party wall incorporating the remains of a large medieval fireplace at first floor level.

Surely they should have respected these original property divisions in the design and not obscured the whole thing with the imagery of a spec office block.

This is by the same office that designed the fine contemporary infill on O'Connell Street, but these are two totally different contexts.

The only objections appear to be from local residents who fear being over-shadowed, there didn't seem to be any strong in-put addressing the heritage implications.
gunter
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:49 pm

This is a trademark Healy Partners design gunter. Stone cladding and large areas of glazing are usually the order of the day when they're behind a project.

Here are a few examples from recent years, all slight variations of the same core design.

59 - 60 O'Connell Street (2005)

103 - 104 O'Connell Street (2008)

Image Image

Former GPO/Hanging Gardens, Henry Street (under construction)

Tuborg

Postby cheebah » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:17 am

Tuborg wrote:It would definitely have solved the problem of the university's alienation from the city centre anyway. It would be fantastic to have UL right in the heart of the city! Aesthetically speaking, Plassey isn't exactly a bad location either I suppose!

They now do have a presence on the island as the architecture department have taken over St munchins church, previously the home of Island theatre company. located on the same street as bishops Palace

edit: sorry just saw this was already on UL thread
cheebah

Postby CologneMike » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:31 pm

Tuborg wrote:36-39 Nicholas Street, King's Island

This proposed office development (with ground floor gallery & cafe space) has been appealed to An Bord Pleanala

Its certainly a pretty risky, ultra modern design in a sensitive setting. Materials include; stone cladding, glazed curtain walling and timber panelling.

I had another look here and found two more images of the proposal. The third image is from flickr of Augustine Place / Nicholas Street.

Looks like that the Nicholas and Mary Streets are returning to a four storey built height.

The design is radical for this location.

Reflections of the Cathedral onto the glass façade could work out well?

Will we see more administrative / office type buildings appearing around the Town Hall vicinity?
Attachments
NicholasStreet36_39A.jpg
NicholasStreet36_39A.jpg (88.5 KiB) Viewed 8348 times
NicholasStreet36_39B.jpg
NicholasStreet36_39B.jpg (46.24 KiB) Viewed 8347 times
AugustinePlaceNicholasStreet.jpg
AugustinePlaceNicholasStreet.jpg (48.47 KiB) Viewed 8347 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Wed May 20, 2009 11:23 pm

Sport Facilities Island Field ~ Corbally

I wonder what part will sport facilities play in the regeneration of St. Mary’s Park? Athlunkard Rowing Club and Star Rovers Football Club spring to mind.

Would it not be cool if Shannon Rugby Club returned to its parish grass roots? It’s pretty obvious really and I’m sure such thoughts have crossed Niall O’Donovan’s mind (Island Road native and Independent Chairperson of the local St. Mary’s Park Regeneration Committee).

I mean what the hell made them move out to such a remote spot in between the now N18 tunnel and its toll plaza! Yet another classical example of Limerick’s doughnut development.

The Island Field needs to be opened up by bridging it with Corbally thus giving it access to a railway line and another roadway route. Coupled with a healthy mix of public / private housing / apartments and the filling in of the flood lands along both sides of the Abbey River for playing fields etc, etc.

How about it Shannon RFC?
Attachments
AerialIslandField.jpg
AerialIslandField.jpg (66.64 KiB) Viewed 8311 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Next

Return to Ireland