Beamish

Beamish

Postby Radioactiveman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:00 am

It's very unfortunate that the oldest brewery in the country and an iconic part of Cork City's culture and life for so long can be wiped out by the stroke of a pen in Amsterdam.
If this goes through, how would you like to see the site utilised?

I'd like to see at least some brewing remaining on site - in the shape of small micro-brewery along the lines of the Franciscan Well. It would be a shame to loose the continuous brewing history on site.
Radioactiveman

Re: Beamish

Postby Pug » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:26 am

should definitely be a tourist money spinner a la the carlsberg factory in copenhagen, theres not much there and its not the greatest display at all, few jazzy boards and photos and 2 free pints at the end but its a decent earner for copenhagen i'd say
Pug

Postby jungle » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:29 pm

I'd like to see some form of brewing remain on the site too.

I'd also like to see the old warehousing buildings that you can see from Crosse's Green incorporated into whatever goes in there. A lot has been spoken about the Counting House, but I reckon those are some of the more interesting examples of 19th century industrial architecture still around in Ireland. By all means reorganise them inside, but don't demolish them.

The site itself probably needs to see some level of caution for two reasons. One is the iconic view up the river towards St Finn barre's. This would probably preclude any development that is too tall coming right up to the river. The second reason is that the presence of portions of the old city wall within the Beamish site will probably keep some sections of the site unavailable for development.

I think a footbridge and walkway to Crosse's Green would be useful. South Gate Bridge to Clarke's Bridge is probably as long a stretch of the South Channel in the City Centre that you'll find without a bridge over it and provision of a walking route could help revitalise both areas. Maybe we could go for a radical departure and incorporate a dedicated cycle lane too. That would probably have to go to in front of the old Mill Business Centre site. The only other open route would involve taking some of the boatyard that's down there and I'd prefer to not do that as that boatyard is one of the last remaining quirks to be seen in Cork City Centre.

In terms of general usage, I'd tend towards entertainment/culture/food and drink usage. Sort of like Temple Bar without the bad parts.

Given its size and central location, determining the future of the Beamish site is probably the most important development decision confronting the city after the South Docklands. A local area plan for the South Main St area needs to be completed ASAP.
jungle

Postby venividi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:19 pm

ee, who actually owns the site?
venividi

Postby bosco » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:23 pm

I was wandering around the area today and looking at the site from all angles confirmed what I'd love to see there. A park. This city needs more green space. Bishop Lucey park is too small and often with the crowd it attracts is not too welcoming. Fitzgeralds park is too far out of the city centre.

I'd like to see the Counting House used for some kind of cultural/municipal purpose... as an arts venue or a beer museum or whatever. Keeping brewing on the site is a nice notion but is it at all realistic?

With the exception of the Counting House and the older waterside buildings on the western edge of the site (I think jungle was referring to the same buildings), I'd like to see the rest of the site cleared and landscaped as a new city park. A new oasis of calm (pardon the lazy cliche) in the city centre.

A public walkway along the river's edge would of course be essential in any redevelopment of the site, and a new bridge as described above by jungle would increase accessibility and open up the area. I'm not sure though whether I'd favour a continuation of the new boardwalk (almost completed) by the Grand Parade or a more natural river bank at this site.

So what's the likelihood of the city council buying the site and making it into a park?
bosco

Postby spoil_sport » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:30 pm

http://www.landschaftspark.de/en/home/index.php

An alternative to clearing the site...
spoil_sport

Postby who_me » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:14 pm

bosco wrote:I was wandering around the area today and looking at the site from all angles confirmed what I'd love to see there. A park. This city needs more green space. Bishop Lucey park is too small and often with the crowd it attracts is not too welcoming. Fitzgeralds park is too far out of the city centre.

Funnily enough, I thought the same. Think I even posted it a few months back (nah..nah.. beat you to it!).

A public 'green' walkway along the river around the bend - either with access to Hanover St. or with a pedestrian bridge across to Crosses Green - would be great. If there is development on the rear of the site, hopefully it can be kept back from the river as much as possible.
who_me

Postby corkblow-in » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:40 pm

Hate to bring a note of pessimism to the thread....but the most likely senario for the site is a pack-em-in developer getting their hands on it and arguing for a reduction in green space due to the fact they 'have' to keep the main building. I would have no faith in the City Council's ability to reign in one of the usual suspects.

Maybe Heineken should hold a competition for a combined design / bid for the betterment of the city - they need all the good PR they can get.
corkblow-in

Postby jdivision » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:21 pm

A lot of developers will be put off by nature of the site. Access will be a serious issue and no chance I'd say of putting underground parking on it.
jdivision

Postby Pug » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:01 am

yeah i suppose flooding risk too mightnt be the most attractive, i'd say theres a few archaeologists chomping at the bit to get into that site, its in the older part of the city
Pug

Postby who_me » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:34 pm

corkblow-in wrote:Hate to bring a note of pessimism to the thread

Don't worry, I think we're all realists. There were a few buildings knocked in recent years which lead us to think "wow, how wonderful it would be for the city if we had a park right there in the city centre", but knowing there's a better chance of nuclear waste dump than a park there! ;)
who_me

Postby who_me » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:36 pm

Pug wrote:yeah i suppose flooding risk too mightnt be the most attractive, i'd say theres a few archaeologists chomping at the bit to get into that site, its in the older part of the city

Would flooding be an issue? Look at how far below the water level the Clarion carpark went.
who_me

Postby Pug » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:54 pm

who_me wrote:Would flooding be an issue? Look at how far below the water level the Clarion carpark went.

i'm only guessing given that the river winds around the site. I'm sure the new fangled modern engineering could get around it. Then they could put in a basement with transparent walls with all the viking longboats and archaeology under the site viewable. Few skeletons drinking a pint of beamish maybe for effect....
Pug

Postby njcork » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:19 pm

If you look at the Draft City Development Plan, an area of public open space is proposed for the southern end of the site, by the quay (where the car park is now)

getting this to actually happen is another question...

This part of the city won't be recognisable in 10 years with the south main street car park also proposed to be developed (if the city council have anything to do with it) and the library site beside it.
njcork

Postby njcork » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:25 pm

I'm also in total agreement with the micro-brewery idea. there isn't a massive amount of attractions for tourists in the city as it is, so a fun day out at beamish's with a couple of complimentary pints at the end would be a real money spinner. plus they could demonstrate the 17th/18th century brewing process with more free samples. i know i'd go....possibly every day.
njcork

Postby SoundsDreamy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:38 am

Heritage group to lead campaign for Beamish site
18 December 2008

By Eoin English
HERITAGE campaigners are planning to fight to save the home of Ireland’s oldest brewery, Beamish & Crawford in Cork.
The National Conservation and Heritage Group, which helped persuade brewing giants Diageo to develop the Guinness Storehouse as a tourist attraction, has confirmed it will mount a similar campaign to save Cork’s historic South Gate brewery site.

The group’s chairman, Dublin-based Damien Cassidy, said the site, in the heart of Cork’s historic core and with its striking mock-Tudor frontage, has huge tourism potential. The brewery, founded in Cork in 1792, is to close next March with the loss of 120 jobs.

The decision was announced last month after months of speculation about its future following the Competition Authority’s green light for its takeover by Heineken Ireland.

Heineken Ireland said it decided to close Beamish after a “a review of both individual brewing operations with particular focus on capacity, expansion capability and future investment”.

Mr Cassidy, who led a campaign to save Kilmainham Gaol, said he is hoping to form and then lead an apolitical delegation that would seek a meeting with senior Heineken executives in the coming weeks to discuss the Beamish project.

The group held similar meetings with Diageo when the Guinness brewing site in St James’s Gate, Dublin, was facing sale and possible development. The Guinness Storehouse is now Ireland’s top visitor attraction and the world’s third biggest “brand experience”. Last month, it welcomed its millionth visitor since opening in 2000.

Mr Cassidy said he will stress the success of the Storehouse when the delegation meets Heineken executives in coming weeks.

“We will put the case to Heineken to maintain some brewing on the site and save the buildings on cultural and heritage grounds, but most importantly on tourism grounds,” he said.

He said the site is perfectly positioned in a historic part of the city, close to South Gate Bridge and St Fin Barre’s Cathedral.

* The group has invited the public to attend an open meeting at the Flying Enterprise Bar, near the brewery, at 7pm on Saturday.

A Park and Micro Brewery on this site would bring huge benefits to the area and would tie in nicely with a South Parish regeneration.
SoundsDreamy

Postby Pug » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:54 am

shouldnt cork city council be all over this?
Pug

Postby Saucy Jack » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:36 am

Pug wrote:shouldnt cork city council be all over this?

Just look at the state of Patricks Bridge and the Quay walls + pavements.

They should not be left near those buildings.

Great opportunity for the city in a stunning location.

If this takes 5 years to secure,save & restore to a visitor attraction it will be worth it.
Saucy Jack

Postby kite » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:43 am

(Cork Independent)
Beamish Tourism Plan a Step Closer

Graham Lynch
glynch@corkindependent.com

HEINEKEN Ireland are to meet with members of the National Conservation & Heritage Group on Thursday, January 15 to discuss proposals for the future use of the Beamish & Crawford Brewery.

NCHG Chairman Damien Cassidy and newly appointed Honorary Secretary Mick Murphy were invited to meet with Directors of Heineken Ireland, following the Dublin-based group’s launch of a campaign to “ensure the safe keeping of the Beamish & Crawford Brewery for current and future generations’.

Green Party election candidate Mick Murphy described the tone of the initial phone call from Heineken as “extremely positive” and said he was confidant that next Thursday’s meeting would bear fruit, and that an appropriate use for this heritage building can be achieved that will suit both the needs of Heineken and the people of Cork and Ireland”.

The NCHG played a pivotal role in persuading Diageo to develop the Guinness Storehouse as a tourist attraction, as well as spearheading the campaign to save Kilmamham Gaol. Dublin, now a hugely successful museum.
The group are confident that the Beamish & o Crawford Brewery, the oldest in the country, can of prove to be just as successful as the Guinness Storehouse, which has become the top visitor attraction in Ireland.

Mr. Murphy says that both he and Damian Cassidy will be stressing this point when they meet with to the Directors of Heineken Ireland.
The group hope that the meeting will pave the way for the maintenance of some brewing on the site, and the saving of the historical building on cultural heritage and tourism grounds.
Cllr. Murphy is also leading a patron campaign on behalf of the NCHG, with well known members of the community, both locally and nationally being asked to support to the cause.
Michael Flatley, Michael O’Leary (Ryanair), Neil Prendeville and U2 are among those to have already been asked to become associated with the campaign to save the Beamish & Crawford site.
kite

Postby Radioactiveman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:33 pm

njcork wrote:I'm also in total agreement with the micro-brewery idea. there isn't a massive amount of attractions for tourists in the city as it is, so a fun day out at beamish's with a couple of complimentary pints at the end would be a real money spinner. plus they could demonstrate the 17th/18th century brewing process with more free samples. i know i'd go....possibly every day.

I actually attended the last ever public tour of Beamish and Crawford which took place just before Christmas. The drink was flowing like the river Lee! It was a fitting send off and by the crowds that turned up, I'm convinced a brewery based tourism feature would do very well in this location.

By all accounts the Lord Mayor and City Manager want to see this happen and Heineken do seem to be responding well to the advances. With the current climate, immediate realisation of the development potential of the site will not be possible in the short term, so a tourism feature first followed by appropriate development to the rear might be a good option for Heineken.

It will be a good thing for St. Main Street too, combined with the Library development, the arts development at Christ Church and the Triskel.
Radioactiveman

Postby kite » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:59 pm

:)Red FM News reports that the National Conservation Group were delighted with their meeting with Heineken today as the company confirmed that “an appropriate and sustainable use” would be found for the brewery when it ceases production in March
kite

Postby The K » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:16 am

How about a food hall(s)(just eateries-nothing that will compete with English Market), museum(city culture etc..),cafes, craft shops-blarney woollen mill types, with a part of the brewery(micro-brewery) as the central attraction which will host an annual beer festival !!!
The K

Postby jungle » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:17 am

That sounds a little like what happened to the old Brains site in Cardiff, which would have been a similar case of a traditional city centre brewery disappearing. Although they did incorporate apartments into the scheme. Mind you, with the noise from the night-life venues, I'm amazed anyone would want to live in them.

Actually, it could be an opportunity to move the municipal museum from its current out-of-the-way and too small site at FitzGerald's Park.
jungle

Postby Pug » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:47 pm

move the museum? thats a great idea, you should try and communicate that to that heritage crowd trying to talk to Heineken. A really good idea in fairness, the museum is wasted that little bit away from the city (and if i recall, the opening hours never actually suited the public or anyone who works)
Pug

Re: Developments in Cork

Postby Pug » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:57 pm

Beamish and Crawford site to be sold in May by Heineken. I wonder will (or have) the efforts of those people who lobbied it to be kept as a heritage area / tourist site pay off? the city council certainly dont seem to have the funds to buy it anyway. If they did I would be wondering why those funds werent invested in an integrated transport system.
Pug

Next

Return to Ireland