query on planning in canada

World architecture... what's happening generally....

query on planning in canada

Postby oswaldcobblepot » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi,

Could anyone direct me to some information on the Canadian planning process? I'm looking for planning guidance documents broadly similar to the supplementary planning guidance documents provided by planning authorities in the UK, that is if they exist!

Oswald
oswaldcobblepot

Re: query on planning in canada

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:59 pm

I imagine they vary widely from province to province.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby helloinsane » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:55 pm

Not only that, but it's ultimately down to the particular municipality. They are the ones that issue the development or building permit.

For example - Toronto and Vancouver

They'll usually meet with you to discuss requirements before you submit the application. It's also possible in some cases to get staged permits (demolition, foundations etc).
helloinsane

Postby L1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:18 am

I know that in Ontario, planning policy & decisions should be guided by recent legislation, for example the 'Places to Grow' Act. For the moment however, it seems there is still little regard for available infrastructure (planning in other words), in particular mass transit, over which there is no control and still less interest. Its a profoundly disgusting, staggeringly profligate mess, so just because there are regulations in existance, unlike more developed parts of the world, there may be no correspondance in practice.
L1

Return to World Architecture