Should Liberty Hall Be Listed?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes : 366

Re: Liberty Hall

Postby lostexpectation » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:21 pm

because siptu need a 14 story building?... or another highrise if the demolish this one.
lostexpectation

Postby jimg » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:03 pm

Surely the discourse should take this into account rather than focusing entirely upon aesthetics...

If you don't like the building just say so. The modern utility of a building is not that significant when it comes to discussing whether an iconic building should be preserved. If it were you could use it as a justification to knock pretty much every single building over 40 years old in the city. I mean why keep all those Georgian buildings when they are obviously not that usable as modern offices or as modern dwellings?
jimg

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:11 am

Property slump saves Liberty Hall
The Sunday Tribune

The country's largest trade union, Siptu, has become the latest victim of the property slump and has decided to postpone plans to demolish and redevelop its landmark Liberty Hall headquarters in Dublin. After considering whether to sell what was Ireland's first 'skyscraper', the union finally decided to redevelop the historic 16-storey building and replace it with an 11,000 square-metre development which will be the national headquarters of Siptu. It will also include commercial office space, which the union hopes to lease to defray the cost of the development. The development also includes a roof-level viewing platform and cafe, a large underground heritage centre relating to the rise of organised labour and national independence, and a 250-seat auditorium and public amenity space . Demolition of the adjoining theatre was supposed to start last July but the property slump meant the prospect of the union leasing offices in the new development disappeared. The global credit crunch also ensured that Siptu had little chance of getting a loan for such a costly development. In addition, the union's centenary is next year and senior Siptu officials felt that it would be better to be at home for the event rather than scattered throughout the capital while its birthplace was being demolished.

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2008/nov/02/property-slump-saves-liberty-hall/
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby JoePublic » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:44 am

More great news for tireless archiseekers, isn't it great that all we've been asking for over the last few years we're finally getting?

I mean liberty hall, dontcha just love it.

Now once that white-elephant metro north gets the chop, we can retire the board, job well done :rolleyes:
JoePublic

Postby missarchi » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:05 pm

I thought the union would be the one ready for a rainy day:mad:
and buck the trend... Still the plans have not been posted anywhere...
maybe a wait and see. If metro or dart underground get the chop it
will be the nail in the coffin for Ireland...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby JoePublic » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:09 pm

missarchi wrote:If metro or dart underground get the chop it
will be the nail in the coffin for Ireland...

I'll be with you on the first plane to Oz when it happens Missarchi
JoePublic

Postby publicrealm » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:32 pm

I quite like Liberty Hall.

Not too keen on demolishing it actually - lots of emotive stuff in my head about it being the thrusting icon of the working classes at a time when we had nothing - also it seems about right in terms of height.

I know its terribly inefficient etc, but I would like to see it refurbished. Should be a protected structure in my view.

Anyway, what is it with Siptu and capitalism - reminds me of the ols ditty "the working class can kiss me arse, I've got the foreman's job at last"?

I grow old, I grow old,
Shall I wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled?
publicrealm

Postby johnglas » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:55 pm

I'll be with you on the first plane to Oz when it happens Missarchi

That would be the one at the end of the Yellow Brick Road, presumably...
johnglas

Postby missarchi » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:03 am

besides im just curious what the proposal was has any one seen it? I still think its the wrong place...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby fergalr » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:27 pm

I'm interviewing the VP of SIPTU on Mon, with luck, (on something entirely unrelated) so I will ask on Archiseek's behalf ;)
fergalr

Postby Andy O » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:41 am

Dublin city is reflected in the dirty windows of Liberty Hall - poorly.

If the building stays, they should at least think about re-glazing. Appearances are important - DC's tallest building should at least look clean and well maintained. (Busaras is filthy too, but I digress..)

Those rickety, uneven windows have always been Liberty's downfall, IMO. The architectural equivalent to crooked teeth. :) And now half of them are broken too!

Contrast Liberty Hall with the Irish Life buildings. You might not like them, but at least the windows are straight. Some fresh glass would make a huge difference to LH, if she's sticking around for the next while.
Andy O

Postby donalbarry7 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:10 am

forgive my slowness, but from my reading of that article that status of liberty hall is rather ambiguous! Is the demolition simply postponed, is there now plans to refurb the present building or will it be left as the filthy eyesore that it is?
donalbarry7

Postby fergalr » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:41 pm

donalbarry7 wrote:forgive my slowness, but from my reading of that article that status of liberty hall is rather ambiguous! Is the demolition simply postponed, is there now plans to refurb the present building or will it be left as the filthy eyesore that it is?

From the mouth of SIPTU V.P Brendan Hayes...

They plan to stay on site and there will be a finalised design signed off on probably in the first quarter of 2009. The whole existing structure is to be knocked and the new tower will be marginally taller and will extend somewhat over the current theatre - although he said overshadowing other buildings is a constraint. The site of the theatre is to be reworked as an auditorium cum civic space.
fergalr

Postby donalbarry7 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:28 pm

thanks for that, sounds like a plan!
donalbarry7

Postby MurrayMints » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:45 am

I'm confussed, are they not slightly worried that if the knock this building and apply for a new, taller one, that every tom dick and harry who hated the original one will have their objections at the ready.

Like what Labours Mary Freehill said about the Georges Quay Master Plan "To allow a 22-storey building opposite the finest Gandon building in Dublin is absolute madness"

Would the same sort of objection not apply to a new 'slightly taller' Liberty Hall?
MurrayMints

Postby Morlan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:23 am

MurrayMints wrote:if they knock this building and apply for a new, taller one, that every tom dick and harry who hated the original one will have their objections at the ready.

The building isn´t going anywhere until they have secured planning permission for the new one. People will have plenty of time to sumbit their objections before anything goes ahead.
Morlan

Postby trace » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:33 am

Liberty Hall to be twice the size (fatter). In for planning in March http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0113/1231738220108.html
trace

Postby Pepsi » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:57 pm

nice.
Pepsi

Postby missarchi » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:48 am

approved?
missarchi
Old Master

Postby jdivision » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:47 pm

Not submitted afaik, very close to being dropped due to economic environment
jdivision

Postby fergalr » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:06 pm

Pity. I would've thought this one would be more likely that the speculative office towers down the quays.
fergalr

Postby archipig » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:05 pm

If they are the only tennants and as a TU their income stream from membership is as good as guarenteed in times like this then I see no real reason not to proceed with it. An architectural competition would be great.
archipig

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:13 pm

there's not going to be a competition
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby dave123 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:33 pm

I would like to see the new liberty hall design. it does need to be fatter if you want to call it like that. The building at present does seem to be a bit daft or too narrow or something. The footprint of the site is wasted. Something better has to be built here.
dave123

Postby Satrastar » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:18 pm

Why does it have to be so tall?

Do they really need all the space?
Satrastar

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland