Eglinton Street Tower, Cork

Re: Eglinton Street Tower, Cork

Postby alonso » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:35 pm

all over tv3's The Apprentice now
alonso

Postby sovereign12 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:39 am

:eek:noticed the building along with county hall was lit up all over the jazz weekend. As a friend who was visiting cork for the first time pointed out it looks like a brothel lit up. What a monstosity we have created glass all one side and plastic the other 3. Shame on you Michael O flynn you had the oppertunity to build something wonderful and you built a joke. And before you criticise my opinion I recently had the pleasure of visiting a real city, Miami, and what wonderful buildings they have. Pity our developers are so incompetant and anal. In the words of a great man 'I pity the fool' who is dumb enough to waste money on moving into an over priced sticklebrick compound that will no doubt be ripped down in 20 years when we all come to our senses. And before people have a go I was very excited about this project considering I love high rises and as far as I'm concerned the more highrises the better but for goodness sake at least build them right and make them look good. The atlantic quarter has alot of potential but should we be so lucky that it gets built????? Not in our lifetime I expect. All I'll say is Mr. O Flynn you f**ked up.
sovereign12

Postby Angry Rebel » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:58 am

You're entitled to your opinion, but if you're going to be so vitriolic it least get your most basic of facts right. Owen O'Callaghan has nothing to do with the Elysian, it was Michael O'Flynn.

Atlantic Quarter is scheduled to break ground next year. Sorry to hear your life expectancy is so short.
Angry Rebel

Postby Bourgeoise » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:45 am

Angry Rebel wrote:You're entitled to your opinion, but if you're going to be so vitriolic it least get your most basic of facts right. Owen O'Callaghan has nothing to do with the Elysian, it was Michael O'Flynn.

Atlantic Quarter is scheduled to break ground next year. Sorry to hear your life expectancy is so short.

Hear here !

If you are going to have a rant at least get some fact correct.

Jeez the quality of posters in here has gone down like the stock market.
Bourgeoise

Postby Pug » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:50 am

yeah, come on, get your facts right. I think the Elysian is great for Cork, its a massive punt taken by Michael O' Flynn, sets a whole new market. The insides are absolutely stunning, even if I will never afford it (and if I had that money, I would have the villa in Italy or France first I think). Silly prices but a great idea, certainly beats having a giant sorting office there.

As for Docklands, all it would have taken was €60m for that bridge and a kick up the rear to CIE to get the Masterplan for Horgans Quay. Imagine, if someone had managed Cork Airports building properly, there would have been €60m for that bridge. What a waste.
Pug

Postby jungle » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:52 am

Did anyone else go in for the open day on Monday?

I have to admit I was surprised by how small the penthouse apartments were. I guess for the price they were asking, I was expecting something a bit bigger.
jungle

Postby Mike Purdy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:18 am

jungle wrote:Did anyone else go in for the open day on Monday?

I have to admit I was surprised by how small the penthouse apartments were. I guess for the price they were asking, I was expecting something a bit bigger.

Would have love to have gone up there for a nosey, but was in Donegal, scaling the heights of Letterkenny, (the New York of the NW).

Was at the Chamber of Commerce Conference last week though, where Mr O'Flynn was speaking. He was undeterred by the current market and seemed pleased with how the development turned out. Good on him!
Mike Purdy

Postby Steady » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:38 pm

I think the Elysian is a good big real honest-to-god development, unlike many of the bitty Mickey Mouse yokes around the city. It is substantial and stands up on its own two feet and is a proper city development. I think that they have been unfortunate with the timing, with the arse falling out of the market right now and for the next two years probably.

I heard that there are 20 units reserved out of approx 235 (this is just a rumour, can't vouch for veracity).If true, quite a challenge to offload the remaining units. But I definitely back their vision and idea and execution.
Steady

Postby who_me » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:27 pm

Pug wrote:certainly beats having a giant sorting office there.

:p On this point, I beg to differ.

Now, to collect a package, anyone living in the city centre has to travel out to Togher industrial estate to collect a package. If you're trying to be sensible by not owning a car, it means a 20 euro taxi ride out there and back to collect a package that might be worth a fraction of that.

It's an absolute clusterfuck of a decision, and shows the lack of joined-up thinking in this country. "Let's make it as difficult and expensive as possible to own a car in the city, then lets spread the facilities around the outskirts of the city so they're tough to get to".
who_me

Postby Angry Rebel » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:24 pm

That's not quite true as there are sub offices throughout the city, for instance the Ballintemple/Ballinlough area has one next to the Silver Quay. Admitedly they are trying to shut it though.....:rolleyes:
Angry Rebel

Postby Pug » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:14 am

who_me wrote::p On this point, I beg to differ.

Now, to collect a package, anyone living in the city centre has to travel out to Togher industrial estate to collect a package. If you're trying to be sensible by not owning a car, it means a 20 euro taxi ride out there and back to collect a package that might be worth a fraction of that.

are you joking? you would rather a drab green 1 storey building in a prime site in the centre of the city for the convenience of collecting packages? give me a break. The elysian isnt the most architecturally stunning building in the world but it beats having An Post there hands down. There was absolutely nothing stopping An Post taking a retail unit in the Elysian there so people could still collect their packages so you will have to give out about An Post on that one
Pug

Postby lostexpectation » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:18 am

what with the white frames, on it, i have to say i don't think the tower looks that graceful or slick,.Image
lostexpectation

Postby who_me » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:48 pm

Pug wrote:are you joking? you would rather a drab green 1 storey building in a prime site in the centre of the city for the convenience of collecting packages? give me a break. The elysian isnt the most architecturally stunning building in the world but it beats having An Post there hands down. There was absolutely nothing stopping An Post taking a retail unit in the Elysian there so people could still collect their packages so you will have to give out about An Post on that one

Kind of joking.. ;)

No, I'm not lamenting the undervalued architectural gem that was the An Post sorting office. Not even close! The loss of the sorting office, and the lack of joined-up thinking bugs the living hell out of me though.
who_me

Postby who_me » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:54 pm

Angry Rebel wrote:That's not quite true as there are sub offices throughout the city, for instance the Ballintemple/Ballinlough area has one next to the Silver Quay. Admitedly they are trying to shut it though.....:rolleyes:

Any packages not accepted at the front door can (obviously) only be collected at one location. For me, that's in Togher industrial estate (for others in the city, it's in Little Island!).
who_me

Postby Angry Rebel » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:26 pm

who_me wrote:Any packages not accepted at the front door can (obviously) only be collected at one location. For me, that's in Togher industrial estate (for others in the city, it's in Little Island!).

My point was that not everyone has to go to Togher or Little Island, there are still sub offices. In any event, I agree with Pug that the sorting office would not be a better alternative, and on your point about joined up thinking, I don't see to be honest what that thinking is/could be?! If An Post contined to occupy prime city centre land for a task that can be done anywhere within 20 miles of the city we'd be complaining about how inefficient they are...:D
Angry Rebel

Postby malec » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:10 pm

If only they used the same materials on the arse of the tower.
malec

Postby who_me » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:01 pm

Angry Rebel wrote:My point was that not everyone has to go to Togher or Little Island, there are still sub offices. In any event, I agree with Pug that the sorting office would not be a better alternative, and on your point about joined up thinking, I don't see to be honest what that thinking is/could be?! If An Post contined to occupy prime city centre land for a task that can be done anywhere within 20 miles of the city we'd be complaining about how inefficient they are...:D

It's pretty simple, if the council want people not to use cars, they need to ensure the necessary services are available & convenient for those without cars. (In this case, either an An Post presence around the city centre - there are plenty of brownfield sites in the docklands!!) or at least on a frequent bus route.

If they don't, then all the plans, goals, hopes, desires, wishes are just pissing into the wind.
who_me

Postby Pug » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:04 am

who_me wrote:It's pretty simple, if the council want people not to use cars,

Would this be the same council that reputedly sold Navigation House to Owen O' Callaghan with the proviso that he provide a multi storey car park so the city hall workers and councillors can park for free?
Pug

Postby browser » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:24 am

Pug wrote:Would this be the same council that reputedly sold Navigation House to Owen O' Callaghan with the proviso that he provide a multi storey car park so the city hall workers and councillors can park for free?

That is a class of joined up thinking I suppose (however lamentable)!
browser

Postby kite » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:23 am

Pug wrote:Would this be the same council that reputedly sold Navigation House to Owen O' Callaghan with the proviso that he provide a multi storey car park so the city hall workers and councillors can park for free?

Right on. And also the city council that sold land in Mahon at a discount to OCP because we were to get a conference centre for one Punt as part of the deal.
kite

Postby starchaser » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:37 am

was in cork recently for the first time in years. a lot of impressive new development around. a slow uptake on apartments from the elysian development judging by the photo...
starchaser

Postby tfarmer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:55 am

thats a landmark tower??
tfarmer

Postby Angry Rebel » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:28 am

You should see it from the other side, it is a landmark. Landmark ugly.
Angry Rebel

Postby shanekeane » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:07 am

Angry Rebel wrote:You should see it from the other side, it is a landmark. Landmark ugly.

That's true. Well it's nice from one angle and then revolting from another, where you can see how it kind of fans out on the top. But, in fairness, Cork in general has a grey and ugly city centre and that's probably one of the most interesting things there right now.
shanekeane

Postby phatman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:10 am

shanekeane wrote:That's true. Well it's nice from one angle and then revolting from another, where you can see how it kind of fans out on the top. But, in fairness, Cork in general has a grey and ugly city centre and that's probably one of the most interesting things there right now.

Wow. Bet you're one of these people who'd be all for tearing down half the city centre and replacing it with shoddy apartment blocks. What about the character and history? With the exception of parts of North Main Street and the likes, Cork is anything but grey and ugly. And I wouldn't even consider comparing the Elysian with the city centre 'in general'...
phatman

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland