So Slow.........

Anything you would like to see on the website?

So Slow.........

Postby David Rushe » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:23 pm

Why is the irish-architecture.com website so slow in bringing up to date news? They seem to take an eternity to bring any news, or new images...Can anyone explain why the main Irish Architecture website is like this?
David Rushe

Re: So Slow.........

Postby hutton » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:32 pm

Welcome to the site David, run primarily as a volunteer-based venture :)

David Rushe wrote:Why is the irish-architecture.com website so slow in bringing up to date news

Congratulations on your new job :):)
hutton

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:56 pm

The last news stories are from the 26th,,, granted yesterdays newsletter did not go online yet but say we're slow is a gross exaggeration
http://ireland.archiseek.com/

If architects don't supply images of projects we cannot feature them.

And frankly we also are picky - for example I don't consider expansion of Sword shopping centre a major architectural event

Frankly this kind of comment pisses me right off - I have also received abusive emails this morning - I'm in the middle of rebuilding the entire site.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby David Rushe » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:16 pm

Well paul, I am sorry if I pissed you off, it wasn't my intention, because you got abusive emails that is not my fault or problem. Sorry if you can't handle an upfront and straight-forward question, unlike Hutton whose answer was informative.

The threads on this site are excellent, that isn't an issue. I was merely asking about the main page and why new news seems slow to appear. The AAI website is an utter mess, this website is leauges ahead of it, but comparing this site to the Building Design website which updates itself daily we seem a little slower in bringing news to the front page.

Don't be so touchy, its not like being in a crit in Uni!!!!
David Rushe

Postby David Rushe » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:20 pm

hutton wrote:Welcome to the site David, run primarily as a volunteer-based venture :)

Congratulations on your new job :):)

Thanks Hutton, i know the thread based forum is volunteer based, and I hope to add some treads (as well as my own opinions) over the coming months. Thanks for the promotion!
David Rushe

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:31 pm

David Rushe wrote:Well paul, I am sorry if I pissed you off, it wasn't my intention, because you got abusive emails that is not my fault or problem. Sorry if you can't handle an upfront and straight-forward question, unlike Hutton whose answer was informative.

The threads on this site are excellent, that isn't an issue. I was merely asking about the main page and why new news seems slow to appear. The AAI website is an utter mess, this website is leauges ahead of it, but comparing this site to the Building Design website which updates itself daily we seem a little slower in bringing news to the front page.

Don't be so touchy, its not like being in a crit in Uni!!!!

Building Design is a business.
This is not.

They get media releases.
We do not.

They work on the magazine all day.
We don't. We do it after the kids have gone to bed, and after our day job, when you're probably watching Pop Idol.

This site has 25,000 pages, and over 30,000 unique visitors a month, of which 29,998 have not complained this month.

Now stop pissing me off.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby David Rushe » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:00 pm

Paul,

I was unaware that the website was not run like a business, I was unaware, until Hutton pointed out that it is volunteer led, in that case, I apologise for threding on your toes, and might I commend you on you on the excellent work that you are doing.

For you information I don't watch Pop Idol, I am not an idiot, so please don't jump to conclusion.

There is no reason for you to tell me to piss off, as I stated I was unaware of how the website was operated, having already found out from Hutton (not your oh so elequant self) how the website is run.
David Rushe

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:05 pm

David Rushe wrote:There is no reason for you to tell me to piss off

Did he? Must have missed that. :rolleyes:

David Rushe wrote:not your oh so elequant self

When you're in a hole, David...
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby SunnyDub » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:39 pm

For project news, the IPI website is good

http://www.irishplanninginstitute.ie
SunnyDub

Postby notjim » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:05 pm

David Rushe wrote:I hope to add some treads (as well as my own opinions) over the coming months.

Oh no!
notjim

Postby PVC King » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:33 pm

Paul Clerkin wrote:And frankly we also are picky - for example I don't consider expansion of Sword shopping centre a major architectural event

It depends on what level of accessibility you wish to connect with; there are clearly four groups of people using this site firstly people with an interest in heritage, secondly those purely with an interest in cutting edge contemporary design, thirdly those interested in infrastructure and finally those with an interest in large scale projects be it high rise or large floor areas.

Whilst information on these types of projects will already be readily available in trade press such as Shopping Centre Magazine, Property Week or the EG it is in my opinion worthy of inclusion on this site. It is in my opinion not possible to maintain a view that main stream commercial architecture is of poor design and therefore undeserving of attention. What is required in Ireland is more debate on the standard of architecture on large budget projects such as this one.

This centre when completed will probably attract visitor numbers in the region of 10m to 15m visits a year from 200,000 - 300,000 different people a week. To change projects like this would represent a very useful dialogue indeed and be far more productive than preaching to the converted. :o
PVC King

Postby lightswitch » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:20 pm

Guys it called X factor...

Jeese get with the program, Pop Idol is YEARS old

Does this mean Im a "idiot"? :) ;)
lightswitch

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:21 pm

I never was particularly trendy...
Paul Clerkin
Old Master