Liffey Cable Cars - Pointless Gimmick or....

I think...

Complete waste of money - I don't want it
23%
Destroys the visual appearance of the city - I don't want it
40%
Disneyland gimmickry - it will never happen
26%
I welcome it
11%

Total votes : 250

Re: Liffey Cable Cars - Pointless Gimmick or....

Postby ihateawake » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:11 pm

He had wanted the cable cars to be in the shape of a pint of Guinness, but this violated advertising codes.

I cannot believe people like this exist in the world. Capitalist opportunism at its worst. ...???....wtf
ihateawake

Postby Sarsfield » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:44 pm

"We're trying to create the equivalent of an Eiffel Tower, the London Eye or the Sydney Opera House - the sort of iconic thing that Dublin currently lacks."

What he fails to note is that none of these were designed to be 'iconic'. OK, the OPera House was designed to look good, but the first 2 were in fact built as temporary structures but became iconic and so got to stay.

You just can't sit down and design something iconic.

This plan is bollox. Crass & tacky.

Further thought - The Eiffel Tower & The London Eye were designed as temporary structures for major events. Maybe we could have a temporary Suas for the Eucharistic Congress in 2012. If Suas becomes iconic it can stay, otherwise it has to come down :)
Sarsfield

Postby djasmith » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:00 am

I'm only back from Sydney and anyone who has seen their public transport network will agree with me that its more than amazing. I've been to Melbourne a few times and thought theirs was good 'til I saw Sydneys. The best part of it is the monorail loop system. It would be more than perfect for dublin in terms of minimum disruption on the ground, minimum digging up roads etc, all electric, and it can follow the course of streets and buildings that are already there. All of the stations are built into shopping centres etc. With some planning they could be incorporated into new builds. Has it been considered before? much better than any cable cars
djasmith

Postby missarchi » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:11 pm

monorail is a waste of money... trams are only good up to certain distances... Sydney has too many buses...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby Conorworld » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:26 am

I read that it was going to be 25 euro return.
Eh?
Its doomed to end up in receivourship and totally out of context with the city.
Its
Just
Wrong
Conorworld

Postby djasmith » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:50 pm

maybe Sydney has got too many buses, but after using a lot of their public transport i was never left waiting for a bus so maybe we could learn something from them
djasmith

Postby darkman » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:36 pm

I think this is an excellent, unique and daring idea. Whether it goes ahead or not we need more of this thinking in Dublin.
darkman

Postby Seanoh » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:05 pm

Wouldn't it be a bettter reflection on the city if Dublin had some sort of integrated public transport system as seen in every other European capital city than this sort of nonsense.
Seanoh

Postby lostexpectation » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:19 pm

darkman wrote:I think this is an excellent, unique and daring idea. Whether it goes ahead or not we need more of this thinking in Dublin.

because a cable car along the length of river is good thinking????
lostexpectation

Postby darkman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:36 pm

lostexpectation wrote:because a cable car along the length of river is good thinking????

Its original. Im not really interested in this particular project's merits. I just think its refreshing to see new ideas.
darkman

Postby lostexpectation » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:43 pm

darkman wrote:Its original. Im not really interested in this particular project's merits. I just think its refreshing to see new ideas.

but it doesn't make any sense, its stupid.
lostexpectation

Postby GP » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:57 am

Is there any truth in story that the inspiration for this idea came when waiting for the bill at the Bad Ass Café. As regards what the cars should look like? What about dustbins? The idea is farse (spelling intentional)! On a saner note – why can we not wash the quay walls once in a generation like other cities? On a last point does the photo on the home page remind anyone else of a priest? Or is it just me?
GP

Postby constat » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:15 am

Why not dredge the damn river of junk while they clean the walls !!
It’s disgraceful to see the state of the river bed during low tide at King’s Bridge…..and it has been like that for decades. Surely for the sake of the Tourist Industry alone, it cannot be a bad idea to employ personnel to clean things up on a regular basis. Tourists in those Cable-Cars would have admirable views of the riverbed from up there!
constat

Postby gunter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:49 pm

ImageImage
gunter
Old Master

Postby SeamusOG » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:11 pm

Hmmm....

That bike could be used for missions related to the "How well do you know Dublin" thread.

Thanks for posting that, Gunter...:p
SeamusOG

Postby tommyt » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:18 pm

That's not a Muddy Fox ATB by any chance? edit-just notced it's actually a Giant looking at the frame shape-tells how disgusting that riverbed is that no one has tried to salvage it!.

Whilst working as a courier a while back one of my more eccentric colleague's cashed his paycheck, went to Mary street and bought a kids dingy, a chinese and a six pack and headed off from Ormond Quay to the IFSC with the whole ensemble- including the bike -on board.He was arrested at Spencer Dock for having the temerity to actually get some amenity value from the river...
tommyt

Postby SeamusOG » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:37 am

tommyt wrote:That's not a Muddy Fox ATB by any chance? edit-just notced it's actually a Giant looking at the frame shape-tells how disgusting that riverbed is that no one has tried to salvage it!.

The tyres seem to be holding up particularly well. A decent sized hook on the end on the end of a long rope - followed by a hosing - could see that thing back on the road in no time.

There are also enough traffic cones down there to keep training going for a few soccer clubs, should the FAI ever run out of money.
SeamusOG

Postby Keen » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:09 pm

Cable cars over the liffey? Where do we think we are, Barcelona? Please please do not let this go ahead, the river is narrow, filthy and would ruin our view of the quays completely.
All i can picture is an RTE news report outside the Four Courts with Cable cars whirling past and passengers waving and gurning from the windows...
Build more LUAS lines pleeeeease
Keen

Postby wearnicehats » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:57 pm

darkman wrote:Its original. Im not really interested in this particular project's merits. I just think its refreshing to see new ideas.

in a first year esquisse kinda way.

as an aside, please please please can "journalists" stop comparing the height of things to liberty hall - drives me round the twist. When did that kip become the measuring stick for all things "tall"
wearnicehats

Postby alonso » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:23 pm

eh since it's been the tallest building in the city for 40 years. What should they say - 19 times the height of a Georgian Terrace, 24 times the height of a suburban Dublin bungalow. It;s the benchmark for the city.

Also why are people conflating this issue with transport. This is a tourist attraction not a transportation mode.
alonso

Postby notjim » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:35 pm

alonso wrote:eh since it's been the tallest building in the city for 40 years. What should they say - 19 times the height of a Georgian Terrace, 24 times the height of a suburban Dublin bungalow. It;s the benchmark for the city..

But alonso ins't this is why we built the spike?
notjim

Postby alonso » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:38 pm

ah yes but the spike is not a "building" is it? And Liberty Hall is far more appropriate for the particular brand of scaremongering these comparisons normally form part of coz it's just so bloody awful looking these days
alonso

Postby wearnicehats » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:04 am

all the more reason to stop drawing attention to it.
wearnicehats

Postby hutton » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:24 pm

Breaking News

Amidst the gloom of projects stalling, Dubliners will be glad to hear that one project is set to go ahead - albeit now in a slightly revised form...

hutton

Postby PVC King » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:14 pm

meoooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
PVC King

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland