New Court Complex - Infirmary Rd

Re: New Criminal Courts Complex

Postby JL » Tue May 15, 2007 11:34 pm

Another urban courts for the purpose of comparison

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=725&storycode=3086779&c=1&encCode=0000000001300e26

I prefer this one although in fairness think it is also PPP (they call it "smart PFI" but time will tell). It's a bit bleak in this image but I think it has more rigour design wise. I am guessing the boxes are courts, and they are more expressive. The Phoenix Park one has a bit of an air of desperation in the detailing ("do you think anyone will notice we've dumped an 11-storey box on the corner of Phoenix Park if we cover it with enough shutters, glass boxes and changes of material?").
JL

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed May 16, 2007 8:55 am

It's not 11 stories though is it? looks like 4 + set back, completely different proposal if it ends up at 11 with that kind of massing.
Peter Fitz

Postby ctesiphon » Wed May 16, 2007 9:25 am

Doesn't appear to be from the picture, Peter, but the article above says: "But the new 11-storey building will be welcomed by victims of crime and their families as they will no longer have to confront each other because of the unique design of the new courts complex ."
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed May 16, 2007 9:49 am

read that too ctesiphon, strange ... at that height it sits ok, looks like it escaped from strasbourg.
Peter Fitz

Postby notjim » Wed May 16, 2007 10:33 am

It is hard to tell but if you look at the height of the balcony above the entry canopy, or take seriously the size of the tiny people near the building, it does look like 8 plus set back?
notjim

Postby JL » Wed May 16, 2007 11:28 am

Im sorry, that cgi is weird. To pick a view from behind a run-down pub is a very strange decision. What is this view saying about a contribution to public space as a public building?

And - I don't believe this - it actually appears to say 'SIGNAGE' on the hotel canopy on the front. It all contributes to the feeling that this building could house anything - hotel, offices whatever.

To me this building doesn't say "this is where you will find an understanding justice, this is where the ethical and moral decisions which underpin how we decide to govern ourselves and deal with each other will be made". This says "We are a huge big organisation, our bureaucracy will give the false impression of efficiency and what we say goes".
JL

Postby fergalr » Wed May 16, 2007 1:30 pm

Peter FitzPatrick wrote:looks like it escaped from strasbourg.

"Have you seen my baby?"
fergalr

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed May 16, 2007 1:38 pm

:D

true the balcony does make it look like there's a few more stories in there ... but when viewed in relation to 3 story pub beside ? dodgy render.
Peter Fitz

Postby jdivision » Wed May 16, 2007 2:57 pm

Peter FitzPatrick wrote::D

true the balcony does make it look like there's a few more stories in there ... but when viewed in relation to 3 story pub beside ? dodgy render.

In fairness way I see it the pub is three storeys and would be height of atrium in criminal court building based on render. Then double height floors above.
jdivision

at the main entrance to the phoenix park

Postby df1711 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:14 pm

just wondering does anyone know what is currently being built here.its a very large site with some very tall cranes.the site im referring to is just on the corner at the main entrance to the park at parkgate st.
df1711

Re: at the main entrance to the phoenix park

Postby ForzaIrlanda » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:09 pm

Yeh I'm really eager to find out what's going in there as wel. I walked by the site and thought that it looked like quite a large development, not something that would end up with a run of the mill 4 storey apartment block.
ForzaIrlanda

Postby cubix » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:09 pm

Silly df1711! Haven't you heard??? Its the latest addition to Dublins non existant skyline.The 250m ultra sleek Eamonn Dunphy tower

cubix

Postby alonso » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:13 pm

sound like it?

1375/07

"In accordance with part 9 of the planning and development regulations 2001 to 2006, the Courts Service propose to develop a Criminal Courts Complex on a site of approximately 0.95 hectares, comprising the Garda Siochana car compound and part of the Department of Defence lands at the junction of Infirmary Road and Parkgate Street, Dublin. The complex will have circa 24,850 sqm gross floor area and will be circa 37.7 m high above the main entrance level which is 10.00 m above ordnance datum. Accommodation will consist of 22 courts, jury, judicial, bar council, custodial and office accommodation, public reception, waiting and circulation areas, cafeteria and other internal ancillary facilities, approximately 70 car spaces located in underground car park and external car park"

Not sure how this works. I think DCC can only make observations as it's a Dept of Justice application, which does not require Planning Permission. So it's unclear whether this development has the go ahead, but the map should tell you:

alonso

Postby igy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:01 am

Is this the building?

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=6131

Though the screenshots from there aren't working for me anymore.

[edit], found a render of it, it looks familiar alright: Image - the pic on the left [/edit]

More pictures on their site: http://www.3dimageworks.com/
igy

Postby massamann » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:41 am

Is there a Heneghan.Peng / Dept of Agriculture building planned for this area too? I can't find any mention of it now, but I think I remember reading something on this. Of course, I may just be losing it completely and nothing of the sort is happening.

I need to lie down.
massamann

Postby Peter Fitz » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:09 am

yeah there was massamann, not sure if its been shelved at this stage... i liked it.

here's a link:

http://www.hparc.com/aghi.html
Peter Fitz

Postby massamann » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:17 pm

Thanks Peter. Yeah, unfortunately the Heneghan.Peng plan must be shelved, as I'm fairly sure that that is the site that the cranes are working on for the new court buildings. That's a great shame, as I really liked the design they had come up with and I can't see the government splashing out too much cash on new builds in the next few years. :(
massamann

Postby ctesiphon » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:55 pm

There was a competition around 1999 or so for a new headquarters for the Dept of Arts, Heritage, Gaeltacht & the Islands (AHGI, not AGHI as it is on the HP website) on the site. More here.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Re: New Court Complex - Infirmary Rd

Postby johnglas » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:57 pm

This thread has gone dead - anyone have any idea of progress on the new courthouse, or even a few pics?
johnglas

Phoenix Park - new Courts building

Postby SunnyDub » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:03 pm

Does anyone have any pics of the new large Courts building currently under construction in the Phoenix Park?
SunnyDub

Re: Phoenix Park - new Courts building

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:32 pm

Here's a link to a render, top left pic.

http://www.3dimageworks.com/exterior.htm

Haven't been down that way in a while so if anyone has any progress shots, please post !
Peter Fitz

Postby Starch » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:13 pm

....is this a McCullough Mulvin building? http://www.mcculloughmulvin.com/projects/ccc.html
Starch

Postby gunter » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:30 pm

Here's one recent (distant) view from the RHK.

There's a good view ot it from Victoria Quay, but I don't have any pictures.

It's probably at it's most interesting about now with the raw concrete mass mostly up and before the cladding merchants have got at it.
gunter
Old Master

Postby notjim » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:32 pm

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=4043

so you press control-k to get into that little search box in the top right hand corner of your browser and then write
"site:http://www.archiseek.com new court building" and there you are!
notjim

Postby LOB » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:49 pm

LOB

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland