Dublin Transport Planning

Dublin Transport Planning

Postby blaise » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:20 pm

Nearly every Metro system around the world (with some exceptions) has lines which start at one side of the city, travel through its centre, and then continue to another suburb on the opposite side of the city whilst giving opportunites for interchange onto similar lines. Is there a particular reason why this is not the case in Dublin with the proposed metro only running between St Stephens Green/Swords and the luas extension bewteen St Stephens Green/O'Connell Street. The most useful transport system in Dublin in my mind is still the Dart as it crosses the city. Bus routes, which should be more flexible , also begin and end in the City Centre. its a bizarre city really, maybe the powers that be do not want to facilitate too many of us Northsiders travelling to the South side?

:confused:
blaise

Re: Dublin Transport Planning

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:16 pm

Short sightedness, penny pinching, who knows :rolleyes:

Terminating metro at SSG is crazy, but sure there have been people shouting about this for years now with no change, given the tighter budgets we'll all have to live within, its pretty much certain SSG is as far as it will go.

Its also certain calls for it to be extended will start within its first year of service.

At least Luas red line will shortly continue to the east docks, removing itself from the realm of 'An Larism' transport planning.
Peter Fitz

Postby missarchi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:43 pm

might not be such a bad thing if they mess it up they may loss to CIE
Any way my guess is there is a battle between tallaght and bray and we might end up with 2 lines.
I would want to test the RPA before giving them the whole cake or none at all... :p
then theres also those development contributions???
missarchi
Old Master

Postby cgcsb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:00 pm

it is intended for metro north to be extended to Rathmines but not in the life time of transport21. After whish, it can't really be called "metro North" can it?
cgcsb

Postby missarchi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:42 pm

mabye we can call it the "green line" ® © after the tearing of the green then it really should be
called the brown line after they rip the green ;) gordon will love that
missarchi
Old Master

Postby cgcsb » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:11 pm

Lucan Luas line seems to be cancelled.

http://www.transport21.ie/Maps/upload/Image/DrulinRailMapBG.jpg

it is not included in this T21 map
cgcsb

Postby Fergal » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:16 am

That's not really evidence it's been cancelled - it's still on the RPA website for example. There are lots of versions of the transport 21 maps around - I believe that particular one is produced by Irish Rail, who aren't too concerned with the RPA's plans. Of course, there is no chance that the Lucan Luas will be done by 2015 with the current economic situation - 2025 is still probably optimistic.
Fergal

Postby urbanisto » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:23 pm

We'll all be flying around in mini hovercraft by then
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Sun May 24, 2009 7:53 am

missarchi
Old Master

Postby EIA340600 » Sun May 24, 2009 3:26 pm

"Lucan Luas line seems to be cancelled.

http://www.transport21.ie/Maps/uploa...nRailMapBG.jpg

it is not included in this T21 map"

Eh yes it is.
EIA340600

Postby cgcsb » Sun May 24, 2009 7:25 pm

the map has changed. Also there were differnt colours used in the original, the end of the tallaght line is different. It used to be shown paralell to MW. And MW was less question mark shaped
cgcsb

Postby gunter » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:03 pm

Trying to have a bit of a clear out at the moment, came across a newspaper cutting of this little piece of strategic planning from Jan. 1979

There's even a motorway running through Grand Canal Basin! (Photograph a bit too ragged to post)

In the same paper (I.T. 31 Jan '79) was this gem of a letter to the editor from Peter Pearson which it would be hard to beat for wisdom, brevity and a nice dash of clairvoyance, given that this is twenty years ago, before DART and before anyone had heard of, LUAS, or Metro North, etc.

Pearson comes across as one of those conservation activists that you'd actually let in the door, he went on to save a house of Palace St. (later joined by Robocop), write a great book on Dublin; 'The Heart of Dublin' (that we may have plundered from on these threads once or twice), and a great book on DunLaoghaire; 'Between the mountains and the sea'.

Can you nominate people to Bord Pleanála, or is it all done in-house?
gunter
Old Master

Postby alonso » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Gunter thank you. Thank you for a brilliant piece of Dublin planning history. At least that plan is slightly less horrendous than the original DTS and the Travers Morgan report i posted previously -

As for the letter, the more things change eh....
alonso

Postby cgcsb » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:12 pm

http://www.irishrail.ie/projects/dart_underground.asp

have yall seen this Dart underground video?
cgcsb

Postby dc3 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:41 am

That all reminds me.

- whatever happened to integrated transport ticketing in Dublin, still no sign of that, despite millions spent in conceptual work. Were we not promised something this year / last year?

- the promise of information about buses en route eventually being displayed at bus stops in real time ( Dead and gone?)

- the programme of "dimpeling" curbs at bus stops, in my humble view a huge waste of resources for very little practical benefit. (Now Stopped or what?)

- Liffey water bus?
dc3

Postby marmajam » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:54 am

dc3 wrote:That all reminds me.

- whatever happened to integrated transport ticketing in Dublin, still no sign of that, despite millions spent in conceptual work. Were we not promised something this year / last year?

- the promise of information about buses en route eventually being displayed at bus stops in real time ( Dead and gone?)

- the programme of "dimpeling" curbs at bus stops, in my humble view a huge waste of resources for very little practical benefit. (Now Stopped or what?)

- Liffey water bus?

wrong on all counts.

how's life on mars by the way?
marmajam

Postby cgcsb » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:05 pm

dc3 wrote:That all reminds me.

- Liffey water bus?

you can now buy tickets for bus/luas and bus/dart. Dart/luas and bus/dart/luas are coming at the end of this year.

some bus stops had those electronic displays similar to those in Belfast. For example there was one on parkgate street. It was removed. Not sure why.

there are dimpeling curbs at many bus stops. But they aren't that important really

the liffey water bus operates to the O2 when there's an event on. There's also a touristy version. I don't recall it ever have been promoted as a form of public transport. Besides, The luas red line takes the exact same route to the O2(opening this winter). Probably alot faster too. Why duplicate the route?
cgcsb

Postby dc3 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:47 pm

cgcsb wrote:you can now buy tickets for bus/luas and bus/dart. Dart/luas and bus/dart/luas are coming at the end of this year.

As far as I can see on the Dublin Bus website, the only bus/luas ticket is still a one day one at £7.50, or else weekly, monthly, or annual combined tickets.

So is it still not possible to buy a one journey luas ticket and then use a bus on a combined ticket to continue your journey?

some bus stops had those electronic displays similar to those in Belfast. For example there was one on parkgate street. It was removed. Not sure why.

Never saw that one. Project dead?

there are dimpeling curbs at many bus stops. But they aren't that important really

I agree, but is the project to do all of them, now stopped?

the liffey water bus operates to the O2 when there's an event on. There's also a touristy version. I don't recall it ever have been promoted as a form of public transport. Besides, The luas red line takes the exact same route to the O2(opening this winter). Probably alot faster too. Why duplicate the route?

Yes, but a waterbus to serve events at O2 hardly makes any economic sense.
dc3

Postby cgcsb » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:56 pm

big whoop. It was never included in transport21 and the luas does the same job only faster anyway.
cgcsb

Return to Irish Planning Matters