Dance vs. Architecture

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Dance vs. Architecture

Postby Asharch22 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:10 am

Hello,

I'm currently working on my own project for the summer before I head back to 2nd year in Architecture. (Mainly to strengthen my design process, develop a particular style and work with more software programs such as Rhino) My background is dance, prior to architecture, and always dreamt of combining these two passions. I devised my own project which is comprised of designing a functional structure that is utilized for a museum in honor of Loie Fuller. Fuller was a pioneer to modern dance, and was one of the many artist that evoked Art Nouveau. (Art Nouveau is probably one of my favourite art movements.... Gaudi has become my main inspiration lately).

Loie Fuller was draped in volominous silk fabric when dancing. She was the first individual to innovate lighting on stage as well. When she danced she metaphorized into different objects such as clouds, serpents, orchids, etc... as the color changed upon her white sheets of fabric.

My goal is to capture the essence of Loie Fuller and Art Nouveau while establishing my own unique style. I'm afraid I might take it too literally though, since I'm captivated by the movement of the silk material and lighting.

If you have any suggestions, feel free!

Thanks
Asharch22

Re: Dance vs. Architecture

Postby missarchi » Thu May 29, 2008 9:13 pm

i'm no rhino head but you have 2 issues...

creating the moment and somehow transferring that to a form liner or tile system or some excellent freestyle sheet metal worker to make a form liner... I think you will do better with a wings/feather/blackhole/or dress down approach with a metal sculpture outside or designing Loie Fuller lights for inside your simple building... you have set your self one hell of a task.. you might want to work inside our or outside in

but I think the clear flat rectangle glass box approach with a fabric or plastic dress in motion light on the inside might be a winner for you kiss...
I would aim for either 1 street elevation 2-4 floors above ground only or a pavilion that has its entry cafe on ground floor with black floors and the rest underground... in a park or something???

hope that helps?
missarchi
Old Master

Postby experiMental » Fri May 30, 2008 10:31 am

Asharch22 wrote:Hello,

I'm currently working on my own project for the summer before I head back to 2nd year in Architecture. (Mainly to strengthen my design process, develop a particular style and work with more software programs such as Rhino) My background is dance, prior to architecture, and always dreamt of combining these two passions. I devised my own project which is comprised of designing a functional structure that is utilized for a museum in honor of Loie Fuller. Fuller was a pioneer to modern dance, and was one of the many artist that evoked Art Nouveau. (Art Nouveau is probably one of my favourite art movements.... Gaudi has become my main inspiration lately).

Loie Fuller was draped in volominous silk fabric when dancing. She was the first individual to innovate lighting on stage as well. When she danced she metaphorized into different objects such as clouds, serpents, orchids, etc... as the color changed upon her white sheets of fabric.

My goal is to capture the essence of Loie Fuller and Art Nouveau while establishing my own unique style. I'm afraid I might take it too literally though, since I'm captivated by the movement of the silk material and lighting.

If you have any suggestions, feel free!

Thanks

Quite a good method of style generation, but you'll have to develop the technology of structure and then adapt your design to it. The other way around is possible, but its more problematic. If you don't really like solving problems, then you'll suffer :D
experiMental

Postby Blisterman » Fri May 30, 2008 1:13 pm

Frank Gehry did a building in Prague, that was supposedly inspired by a couple dancing. It's nikcnamed the Fred and Ginger building, after Fred Astaire, and Ginger something or other. (I don't know the first thing about dance, but it's a famous female dancer).
Blisterman

Postby JB » Fri May 30, 2008 1:40 pm

Rogers .....
JB

Postby ctesiphon » Fri May 30, 2008 1:53 pm

You could do worse than study the drapery of statues from classical antiquity. Not only are they solid representations of fabric, the 'material' often falls in folds that look uncannily like catenary arches which, as any Gaudi watcher would know, were the basis for his structural system, except turned upside-down.

Do you know what an upside-down catenary arch is called?
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby notjim » Fri May 30, 2008 2:05 pm

Am I allowed to answer and is the answer "cosh"; because that is certainly an answer, as is "a catenary" and indeed catenary is probably the latin for chain since a catenaty is the shape a chain makes when suspended by both ends.
notjim

Postby ctesiphon » Fri May 30, 2008 3:06 pm

I've never heard 'cosh' before, nor the use of 'catenary' for the inverted version (though I don't doubt you!).

Does this picture ring any bells? It should for you, notjim:

Yours etc.,

ctesiphon (arch)

:D

Edit- See also here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary

In Antiquity, the curvature of the inverted catenary was intuitively discovered and found to lead to stable arches and vaults. A spectacular example remains in the Taq-i Kisra in Ctesiphon, which was once a great city of Mesopotamia.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby notjim » Fri May 30, 2008 3:20 pm

Mathematically, and here I am in the unusual position, for me, on this forum, of talking from professional expertise, the catenary curve is given by hyperbolic cos, written cosh(x)

cosh(x)=[exp(x)+exp(-x)]/2

I was going to derive it but I see the Wikipedia page ctesiphon links gives the workings.

Here is a spectacular example of catenary vaulting:
notjim

Postby missarchi » Fri May 30, 2008 6:32 pm

missarchi
Old Master

Postby Asharch22 » Sat May 31, 2008 9:55 pm

wow, i really appreciate all of ur input...

Lately I've been sketching catenary arches, as it reminds me of the ripples of loie's dress (unintentionally ofcourse thinking of gaudi)

And yes, maybe I should play around more with the technology of the structure... hmm wish me luck! lol

Thanks again
Asharch22

Postby experiMental » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:24 pm

remember to photograph your work and give it back to your tutors for criticism. If they are good tutors, they will always give you feedback.

I doubt whether it would be worth your while to post your work on this forum. It's not very active and I'm no big expert on architecture :D
experiMental

Return to World Architecture