Preparing for DIT interview

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Re: Preparing

Postby Bren88 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:12 pm

ruskin wrote:roughly how many people do they invite to the interview after the suitability test?

it can vary, depends on the field
Bren88

Postby fiachra17 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:00 pm

does anyone know the exact root from architectural technology onto being a qualified architect?
fiachra17

Postby fiachra17 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:05 pm

does anyone know the root from Architectual technologies into being a fully qualified architect?!
fiachra17

Postby experiMental » Thu May 03, 2007 5:22 pm

if you're studying Architectural Technology in DIT, you could go into 2nd year of Architecture or go to study Architecture in another Uni/college once you've completed your Diploma. (look for more detailed info on this on the DIT website).
experiMental

Postby spudmonkey17 » Thu May 03, 2007 9:52 pm

I just got my results of the suitability test back today. I passed so now I gotta concentrate on the interview. In my portfolio so far I have 3 large drawings (A3), a sketchbook with about 5 sketches in it (A4), a scrapbook full of pictures of buildings I find interesting as well as interesting interiors, and 2 technical drawing pieces (A2). Im planning to do 1 or 2 more "big" pieces and also I'm currently looking into Gaudi, Frank Gehry, and possibly Glenn Murcutt. I have fairly strong opinions on architectural works that I like and that I don't like. My only concern is that the majority of my work, although on very varied subjects, is primarily done in pencil.

However should all this suffice for the interview?
spudmonkey17

Postby rira » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:24 pm

could we maybe get this as a sticky? it's a pretty comprehensive response to most questions asked in here
rira

Postby lettuce » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:02 pm

sounds like you're fairly well prepared, or at least more so than i was!
pencil drawings are perfectly fine, try to get in as much good tonal pieces as well. you want to be presenting pieces that demonstrate a creative ablility so you're no limited to just doing sketches of buildings!

the fact that you have a strong opinion will stand to you and should serve you well.

also before you go into your interview try to prepare answers to questions such as;

favourite/most hated contemporary building in Dublin/Ireland
reasons for liking styles

also mention any practical building you may have had if given the chance
lettuce

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:02 am

rira wrote:could we maybe get this as a sticky? it's a pretty comprehensive response to most questions asked in here

very good suggestion - done
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: Preparing for DIT interview

Postby rira » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:01 pm

cheers paul
rira

Postby ruskin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:49 am

The DIT entry thing is a complete joke. I did it last year. Firstly the exam is the same one they have been flogging for god knows how many years. I remember the exam booklet cover saying it was from a 1951 psychological test. I was also clearly able to see the imprints of answers other people wrote in the booklet which were later rubbed out with an eraser. For the interview, I went in with my best work (I already had an honours degree in architectural technology and a BA in fine art). There were two interviewers, both idiots, but one of whom was a truly bitter, horrible little man, who upon viewing my portfolio said nothing, only to then say "First year". Apparently years of experience count for nothing. The DIT entry system is pathetic, elitist, and flawed.
ruskin

Postby rira » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Every entry system is flawed, CAO is anonymous but doesn't take account for other factors, as soon as you try to address that you remove the layer of anonymity and automatically insert some bias.

The fact that those tests don't change is irrelevant, standardised tests are all pretty similar anyway and it's not as if you can recall the whole sequence of correct answers. you'd be a fool to just copy the markings on the book anyway, what says that they're right?

Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you but the reality is that the entry system does work for many people who would otherwise be excluded from the course (myself included)
rira

Postby Frogo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:25 pm

Just what I'd like to add is don't leave the interview dejected if you think it went badly. I thought mine went horribly and felt completely dismissed by the interviewers, however, I recieved high marks in the interview.. so it's hard to tell what they expect. Mine was very art orientated, as I had done an art portfolio course the year previously. One of the interviewers wasn't much interested in my portfolio, but I had a sketchbook of some of my own "architectural" studies, with some basic concept design with references to architects, and just some photocopies from architecture books, and cutouts from magazines. Just show that you're interested enough to put some effort into it.

And all I can say is if you're going to mention names of architects, be sure you can back up why you mention them and would recommend to everyone to avoid the likes of Gehry in an interview, as you might get a bit heckled if you admire his work. And same goes for buildings, have a valid researched opinion on them, not just "it doesn't look great". Another thing I would suggest is investing in D.K. Ching's "Architecture: Form, Space, & Order". It's a book you're going to have to get in first year anyway, but it will open your eyes more to how an architect see's architecture compared to a layman.

Best of luck to anyone going for the interview!
Phil
Frogo

Postby experiMental » Fri May 30, 2008 10:21 am

Interview time is over, but here's one thing I've spotted

if you've done graphic design or game development or product design stuff for your portfolio, and they were all top quality, you'd still be recommended to study these areas rather than architecture, no matter how much you'll try to explain your motivation for studying architecture.

I know that it happened to a few people.

Also, NEVER tell the interviewers that you like architecture just because you like designing things. There's so much more to architecture than design, and you may not even go near the design process as a professional and still be called an architect. I'm speaking from my experience.

I'm not studying architecture right now. In fact, being rejected gave me a completely fresh outlook on design and architecture in general and I'm glad that I've been told all these darker sides of these areas.
experiMental

Postby Shane M » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:27 pm

Im also thinking about going to DIT and i am just wondering about the points. does it mean that 200points of the 540pts required can be got from the test/interview and portfolio before you go and do your leaving cert?????
Shane M

Postby rira » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:11 am

yup,
as long as you pass the test the points can come from anywhere,
600 for leaving cert,
100 for interview,
100 for test
rira

Postby jrk92 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:19 pm

hey ppl, I undertook a suitability test yesterday... I have to say they changed actually everything... there was nothing about hobbies and intersts... only why would you like to study architecture , why you think you are good. whe had also to describe the house,the area, the city or the countryside where we live in... there was also limit 400 words max. for each section ... the second part: we got nine boxes wih some patterns and we had to maka a pictorial stories. We had to use creativity and we had to show that we understand three dimentional term... now I wait for my resultss I found it easy but.. you know you never know what will happen...
jrk92

Postby lettuce » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:46 pm

It's good to hear that they're modernising the system, albeit slightly late. Glad to hear jrk92 that you're confident in how you got on. I hope everyone else reading this looking for tips is happy with how they did.

I'll be honest with all you guys, I'm a 3rd year student in DIT architecture now and I heard all the same stories that you've heard. I scraped through the entance exam and was murdered in the interview (that's how it felt anyway). All of that is really just a challenge or a task you have to get over, it doesn't really reflect the course and it's content so don't be put off because of the stories you hear.

The entrance process is tough. They won't pat you on the head for every right answer you give and they very well might slate you for something you say. But if you've done your research on the course and you know it's what you want to do then keep the head down and take all the shite in your stride.
lettuce

Postby jrk92 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:55 pm

hi,, has anyone got results yet? I'm still waiting...
jrk92

Postby crow92 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:47 pm

I got mine back yesterday, I got 75% :D what about anyone else?
crow92

Postby loopy » Tue May 11, 2010 6:24 pm

ya i got mine to 75 aswell well happy hope the interview goes well thou
loopy

Postby jrk92 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:55 pm

hah I got 75 too:L how was your interview? mine was fine but it could be better. Did you get your score of the interview.On different forum ppl write that if you want to get your results you have to send an email or call them:) I have sent it today..
jrk92

Previous

Return to World Architecture