RIBA Part 2 qualified considering Vancouver

World architecture... what's happening generally....

RIBA Part 2 qualified considering Vancouver

Postby cokedrinker » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:45 pm

Hello,

Im 26 yrs old and completed my RIBA part II in June 2007, and was wondering what kind of opportunities exist for graduate architects such as myself, in Vancouver... Are there much problems in obtaining a work visa for a year or two, and where would be a good place to start looking for practices?

Cheers
cokedrinker

Re: RIBA Part 2 qualified considering Vancouver

Postby helloinsane » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:57 am

Look into the BUNAC visa. There's a forum with a lot of info about obtaining Canadian visas here. If you're thinking more long term look into Provincial Nomination should you find an employer willing to take you on.

Your best starting point for work will be the AIBC, classified ads are here. It can be worthwhile emailing PDF resumes to firms even if they aren't advertising.

There's supposedly a shortage of architects at all levels, but signs are appearing that the condo market in particular is peaking. That said there's still a rush on to get stuff built for the Olympics in two years.
helloinsane

Postby cokedrinker » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:34 am

Cheers helloinsane, i'll look into them links.

Im not sure of the process in becoming an fully qualified architect in Canada... for instance, over here i would be doing my part 3 for ~18months - and hopefully, after a passing my professional studies exams / case study, and the interview, i would become a registered architect with either the RIAI or RIBA.
Is there a similar system which a RIBA graduate could go through over there in an effort to become a registered architect in Canada?
cokedrinker

Postby helloinsane » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:36 am

There is, but generally speaking there are no special dispensations for having a RIBA (or any other non-North American) accredited qualification. The details vary from province to province, but you'd be looking to enroll in the Intern Architect program within the professional body for your destination province.

The first step for a foreign-trained architect is to get your degree recognised by the CACB - no mean feat, as it's essentially down to the applicant to demonstrate how their architectural education meets an equivalent standard to the Canadian syllabus. This includes providing a detailed description of all courses completed as part of your degree and a portfolio of studio design work. It's not impossible but it's a pretty onerous task (as I'm discovering myself). If you're a relatively recent grad it should be a little easier - I graduated nearly ten years ago and a lot of the information the CACB are looking for doesn't seem to have been kept by my school.

http://cacb.ca/index.cfm?Voir=sections_liste&Id=2790&M=1358&Sequence_No=2790&Niveau=2&Repertoire_No=660386109

Once you've enrolled as an Intern Architect, you select a mentor, log hours and sit a series of exams (ARE). Then you gets to pay your fees and add letters to your name. It's worth noting that you don't need to be a registered architect to work for a firm in Canada, but you can't call yourself an architect or practice solo, with some exceptions for particular kinds and sizes of project.
helloinsane

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:16 am

Here's a related Ontario iniative
http://www.internarchitect.ca/
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby helloinsane » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 pm

People's frustration is understandable. The internship process is horrendous.
helloinsane

Return to World Architecture